To prepare for later translations, I registered at transifex.net for
pcmanfm2 and will use this later for the translation of the new
The purpose and advantages of this move:
1. Since now we started using git, and the translators don't
necessarily know how to use git, we definitely need a better
2. With this, translators who only do translations don't need to have
direct access to git repository and this improves access management.
3. We can have better statistics for current status of translation
4. Transifex has been greatly improved since we evaluated the
possibility of using Transifex last time. So it's now the time for
5. The transifex.net service has upgraded their Transifex version to
0.8, which should supports pleural form string editing.
6. This can be used to evaluate the applicability of Transifex for the
whole LXDE project.
7. Translators can use web-based interface and don't need to learn any
version control systems.
8. Submission to our git repo is automatic and don't need to be done
manually by maintainer or coordinator. So workflow of translation
update is greatly improved, simpified, and accelerated. No more
translation related patches in the bug trackers. Translations should
all managed with Transifex and this is the only portal for
9. People outside our community and who don't have access can easily
contribute to LXDE translation.
10.We don't need to maintain our own translation server.
If git + Transifex to manage the development of pcmanfm is prooved to
be applicable, we can consider moving the whole lxde source tree to
git and coordinate all translation work with Transifex automatically,
and don't need to maintain separate pootle server anymore. The guys at
transifex.net will be responsible for maintaince and upgrades. So we
can totally focus on our development.
Later, when pcmanfm2 is ready, I'll announce in the mailing list, and
translation can be initiated on transifex.net.
If you are an interestd translator, please consider getting yourself
registered on transifex.net first. :-)