Since lxterminal picks up the encoding from the LC_* environment when it is launched, and doesn't provide a menu to change it like Firefox and gnome-terminal, when users ssh to different servers, if the server's LC_* is different from their own host, though they can change server's LC_* like: export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" to avoid garbled characters of applications' output, but the file name on that server (if there is Chinese characters in it) will still be garbled. Another is when we telnet to a bbs site, maybe it is GBK encoding, but currently most GNU/Linux has a default UTF-8 encoding, then we can't see charaters corrently.
When I started on the project, there was an unfinished very elaborate multi-encoding thing in lxterminal, similar to what you get with Firefox View/Character Encoding/More Encodings, but I considered it to be overkill for the application.
I changed it to pick up the encoding from the LC_* environment when it is launched, and I am not aware of any complaints that have surfaced.
Why don't you say more about what the problem that isn't solved by that approach is, and we can discuss approaches to solving it.
a student at bjtu