Menu

RPMS for lx-viewer

crotalus
2007-06-17
2013-04-22
  • crotalus

crotalus - 2007-06-17

Hi,

I would like to post RPMS for lx-viewer 1.0.3 at ATrpms (Fedora + RHEL).

http://atrpms.net/

It is my understanding that I only cannot distribute the source code
    of the openDXF libraries (which I have). Is that correct?
    Would be interest in the binary distribution for RedHat?

Thanks,

/Paulo Roma.

• Andrew Bibb

Andrew Bibb - 2007-06-18

Paulo,

You will need to check with the OpenDWG people about what you can and can't distribute for things that belong to them.  Feel free to package and distribute any of the code that I wrote (basically anything I posted to SourceForge). 

I am curious though, is this program still useful to anyone?  The versions of autocad that it supports are so old that I am surprised anyone still open a drawing with it.

Andy

• Guy Edwards

Guy Edwards - 2007-06-19

(minor: openDXF libraries should be openDWG)

I think it's a bit more awkward. You'd have to either:

1) Get a license from openDWG for that library to be openly distributed under the GPL (I think they wont ever do that)

or

2) Make a kind of wrapper program that when you run if for the first time, visits the openDWG site to do the download then compiles the source of lx-viewer with the library and finishes the install. Some of the media programs grab codecs this way where the license of the codec is under question, however they aren't compiling so it's not a exact comparison.(*)

Posting a RPM with the library compiled in might well break some of openDWG's licenses, although their licenses were a mess 2-3 years back when lx-viewer was quite active.

(*) I dont think this will work either as they started requesting people print off the license agreement and mail it them signed before allowing you to join their website, although this again was 2-3 years ago and may have changed.

Cheers

• jafriede

jafriede - 2007-07-12

It is very useful to me.  Our company has loads of drawings done with AutoCAD 2000 and older.  Linux needs a good CAD viewer.

• Andrew Bibb

Andrew Bibb - 2007-06-19

I've think my OD license has actually lapsed.  I haven't been on the site in ages and I used to get periodic renewal notices, but have not received one for quite some time.

I managed to get a small thing on DrawingViewer working with the C++ libraries, and OD then came out with an updated C++ library that moved lots of their functions around inside the libraries.  Maybe it wasn't really a lot, but it sure did undo everything I had managed to get working so I finally threw up my hands in surrender. I just did not (and still don't) have the time to keep up with the library changes let alone code new stuff.

Andy   

• Calvin Webster

Calvin Webster - 2007-09-25

A source RPM would be perfect, or even just a good spec file in the download tar-ball that would generate the RPMS.

I work at an engineering support facility for Marine aircraft simulators and we've got lots of older drawings in AutoCAD and MicroStation.

• Guy Edwards

Guy Edwards - 2007-09-26

Source RPM:

This would mean packaging the OpenDWG libraries in with the program, which their license prevented us from doing.

• Calvin Webster

Calvin Webster - 2007-10-02

Couldn't you package all but the OpenDWG libraries with instructions in the README on where/how to get them?

...and what about a spec file?

• Guy Edwards

Guy Edwards - 2007-10-03

Well there's already the FAQ on how to get them

and seeing as your the guy dragging up a long dead project, how about you make the spec file?

• Calvin Webster

Calvin Webster - 2007-10-04

Okay, didn't see the FAQ but I'll find it.

Wow! I was just asking... no need to bite my head off!

I guess I wasn't looking at the dates. You're right, it's long dead and probably deservedly so!

No need to reply... I won't be back.