I'm not having luck profiling a 64-bit app I'm working on. After I attach to it, I can see the modules being loaded / checked, but then it reports back instantly with 0 samples. Is there a trick I'm missing?
I'm really hoping to get this working, as this is the only profiler I've found that looks like it is on the right track.
Here are some suggestions:
* if you are using a version older than 0.9.8, this will happen
* If your app is running as a service, that might happen, too, try running it using a normal user account
* Try running luke stackwalker as a Administrator (right-click icon, then select "Run as Administrator")
* if using 0.9.8 or 0.9.9 and profiling a 64-bit executable, luke_sw.exe should launch a command line profiler called cmdline-profiler.exe : you can check with task manager if this is the case while the debug info is being loaded. If not, then there is a bug somewhere (which is not all that surprising, of course)
* If none of these help, let me know which OS & compiler you are using - also if you are willing to provide a sample program wiht debug info & source code that I can check, I am happy to do that.
I had 0.9.8 and just checked 0.9.9. I'm running under XP-64 as an administrator, giving it full privileges had no effect. The cmdline-profiler.exe is launched, the modules load, and then it finishes immediately with this message:
Sorting profile data.
Could not get any samples from the process.
Done; 0 samples collected at -1.$ samples/second.
Sorting profile data.
I can profile 32-bit apps without a problem, but this happens with any 64-bit app that is running (not specific to my code). The program was not run as a service.
I cannot provide the source, and as I noted, it is not related to my code. I'll try on another machine, in case it is machine specific.
It could be OS dependent as I have only tested 64-bit profiling on a 64-bit windows 7 (Home) machine.
I have also 64-bit Windows server, will try that today. I don't have access to 64-bit windows XP.
Just checked, I can attach to process & get meaningful samples from the windows 'explorer' process on Windows server 2008 64-bit. It's probably something to do with XP 64-bit compatibility.
I just checked on my windows 7 laptop, and it's working. It looks to be machine specific, either the OS or the processor (AMD opteron) if that makes a difference.
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.