Menu

patternEditor - Inconsistencies of Interface

Michael
2015-06-18
2015-06-23
  • Michael

Michael - 2015-06-18

Hi Loukas,

If you select either of the options "Set of files" or "Set of directories", there is no label for the Path control.

If you also check the checkbox for Use absolute path, the controls, for "Go deeper in path by" and "Any", become enabled. However, if you subsequently choose either of the options "Specific file" or "Specific directory", the controls for "Go deeper in path by" and "Any" are not disabled again which could cause some confusion for inexperienced users.

If either of the options "Specific file" or "Specific directory" are selected, I would like to suggest that the controls, for "Go deeper in path by" and "Any", are hidden and probably the checkbox for Use absolute path should be unchecked. Also, it appears that the controls for "Go deeper in path by" should be disabled when the checkbox for "Any" is checked. Another option would be to use Radio Buttons for these 2 options.

In the .ts file you will see my suggestion to change "Go deeper in path by" and "Any" to "Sub-directory search depth" and "Search ALL sub-directories" respectively as well as the Tooltips accordingly.

Hasta pronto, Michael.

• Loukas Avgeriou

Loukas Avgeriou - 2015-06-19

That is all correct, thank you for the feedback Michael.
    I should have these fixed :)

• Michael

Michael - 2015-06-21

I have another idea to add to the above.

As we usually work from Top to Bottom, it would be more logical to have the checkbox for Use absolute path and the controls for Go deeper in path by and Any above the Path control.

As you are using the same control for File, Directory and Path, you will need to add some code to change the positons depending on which of the Radio buttons, above, are selected. :)

• Loukas Avgeriou

Loukas Avgeriou - 2015-06-23

Indeed, your suggestions make perfect sense.
    The pattern editor does need a good facelift :)