Argyll CMS

pierluc
2007-06-06
2013-05-01
  • pierluc

pierluc - 2007-06-06

Can you add argyll CMS to your software?
    Argyll CMS is a command line driver for calibration tools.
    http://www.argyllcms.com/

• Hal Engel

Hal Engel - 2007-06-06

ArgyllCMS is a complete CMS system.  We are currently using parts of ArgyllCMS where this provides some added value to LProf.  For example we have used the spline algorithms as part of the camera/scanner profiler since version 1.11.4.2 and also the measurement instrument library for the monitor profiler that is now in CVS. 

One of the LProf developers actually wrote the cgats code in ArgyllCMS.  We also feed back patches and fixes to the ArgyllCMS developer for the parts we are using.

So I guess that I don't understand what you really want except that perhaps you didn't know about the new monitor measurement code in CVS.  By the way the hardware based monitor measurement code in CVS is working but still very rough (IE. alpha level).

• pierluc

pierluc - 2007-06-10

I ask that because argyll CMS is a command line software your software is more user frendly.

I am Québécois and it's not easy for me to understand english. But, if I understand what you said; we will be able to calibrate a screen with a spectrometer with LProf?

It's a good news because a don't understad argyll CMS... The documentation is in english and the software is not user frendly.

NB.: I wait for a user friendly software before to buy a spectrometer.

• Hal Engel

Hal Engel - 2007-06-11

Yes you got that right.  Current CVS has instrument support that uses the ArgyllCMS meter support library.  And it is possible to calibrate and profile a display using the supported instruments if you build the CVS code.  Again this is still in an alpha state and needs a lot of work to be as good as the project would like it to be.  For example it has not been translated at this time since the UI will need to mature first.  As far as I know it has only been tested with the EyeOne Display 2 series (2 and LT) of devices.  It should work with any of the following:

EyeOne Display (original, 2 and LT)
        EyeOne Pro (all versions)
        Spectrolino
        DTP-92
        DTP-94
        HCFR (a DIY device that you can find plans for on the web - in French)

You are correct about ArgyllCMS in most respects.  Its calibration and profiling code is very good (close to, if not, world class) and overall it is a very powerful tool set.  But it is difficult for most users to understand even those whose native language is English and almost impossible for non-English speakers to understand unless they also have a very good understanding of color science and fairly good English skills.  Also because of the tools used to build it ArgyllCMS will be very difficult to make available in any new languages.  Although translating the documentation should not be harder than other applications.  But it is a big task so I would not expect it to happen any time soon.

One of the aims of the LProf project is to create a powerful but user friendly tool.  Part of having a user friendly tool is to have it available in as many languages as possible for those who do not understand English.  The tools we are using (Qt) makes translating the UI fairly easy compared to a command line app like ArgyllCMS.  In addition, the translations are loaded dynamically and users can create their own if they wish to do this using tools like kbabel and linguist (part of Qt) and just plug the new translation into an existing LProf installation.  Of course if someone does this we would like to make this available to other users (IE. please send us a patch that contains the translation if you create one).  But in your case there is a French translation so you don't need to make your own.  In the long run I would like to have more translations of LProf available (Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch... the more the better) but I have found it difficult to get translators to commit to ongoing support of the project.  Frankly it is a time consuming and tedious process so I can understand why this happens. There have also been updates to the code in CVS that now allow the support of translated help files although it is not nearly as dynamic as the UI translation loading process.  But at this time there are only a few help pages that have been translated into Russian.  So a lot of work is needed on the translation and documentation front.

• pierluc

pierluc - 2007-06-12

What is "CVS" ?

Japanese is a very bizarre language, they have thousand of letter and they write on columns...

Qt is KDE?

KDE4 will use SVG for the design of software. Do you think that you will be able to create a very beautiful desing for Lprof with the SVG.

At school we use Adobe Illustrator and it's incredible what we can do with this software and their vectorial tools.

• Hal Engel

Hal Engel - 2007-06-12

CVS is where the project stores all of it's updates and all changes to the project.  In other words it is were you will always find the latest (in fact all) versions of the code.  But it is also not always code that works the way it should.

KDE uses Qt as it's main library and builds additional functionality on top of it.  LProf will run on any platform where Qt will run.  This means it is a nice fit on a KDE machine but will also work on any Linux/Unix/BSD/Windows/OSX machine as long as Qt is available with no need for KDE.

From what I can find SVG is a vector graphic file format. So I don't see what this has to do with LProf.  On the other had I would like to find a graphic artist to help out with creating a logo that would be used for the web site, splash screen (does not exist yet but would be fairly easy to create) and icons.  I have not been able to find a volunteer for this even though I have advertised for this several times in the sourceforge help wanted area.  Do you have this skill set?  If so are you interested in creating a new LProf logo?

• pierluc

pierluc - 2007-06-13

I don't know if I can help you. I have just do my fist year of "Précédé infographique" ans I'me not a professional. But if I have an idea for a Logo I will give to you my idea.

I'me interesting by the idea to help you for the design of the software but I'me not programmer. I don't study 3D-Video-Games at an Ubisoft Cégep. I study graphics for page page-setting (Book, journal, magazine, etc.)

*Cépep:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks