Menu

"Can't open: vsftpd-differ" Error Message

2016-09-12
2016-10-15
  • RIchard Morris

RIchard Morris - 2016-09-12

Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to explain an error message that has recently shown up when we run Logwatch. We've set up an vsftpd server on our CentOS 7 setup and I noticed the FTP logs weren't showing up in the Logwatch summary. I made a change in the vsftpd configuration to where the logs were saved and then Logwatch started reporting on them. However the emailed version we get from cron only shows this error message:

Can't open: /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/vsftpd-differ at /usr/sbin/logwatch line 1335.

When I run /usr/sbin/logwatch from the command line I get the same error. However if I run this:

/usr/sbin/logwatch --service vsftpd

it runs correctly without the error. I tried using the debug option to get a better idea of what was going on and got this:

/usr/sbin/logwatch --debug 8

Processing Service: vpopmail
     ( cat /var/cache/logwatch/logwatch.qHYOrZmw/maillog  |  /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/shared/onlyservice 'vpopmail' |/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/shared/removeheaders '' |/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/vpopmail) 2>&1 
    export vsftpd_ignore_unmatched='0'

Processing Service: vsftpd
     ( cat /var/cache/logwatch/logwatch.qHYOrZmw/vsftpd  |  /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/shared/removeheaders '' |/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/vsftpd) 2>&1 
    Can't open: /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/vsftpd-differ at /usr/sbin/logwatch line 1335.

The /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/vsftpd-differ file doesn't exist, hence the error. I cannot find any references in any configuration files to a vsftpd-differ service. I'm not sure what I did to make this error appear.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could provide guidance as how I might resolve this.

Thank you.

• Bjorn

Bjorn - 2016-10-15

[ I don't know if this is still an issue, but posting it in case it helps others. ]

Logwatch builds its list of services by scanning the config/services directory. So check in the usual locations (such as /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/, /etc/logwatch/conf/services/, and /usr/share/logwatch/dist.conf/services/ directories) for a file called vsftpd-differ.conf.