Menu

Reporting tags only once. Bug or feature?

ALE Users
2008-07-01
2013-04-16
  • Øystein Carlsson

Hello,

I have an Intermec IF61 and using the IF5 reader implementation in logicAlloy together with a generic defined logical reader. When I read tags they are discovered in the "View Recent Tags" meny choice, so the connection is working.

The Event Cycle spec I'm subscribing to (file subscription to xml) is set to Report If Empty: "No", Report Only On Change: "No" and the Report Set is "CURRENT". When new tags enter the range of the antenna they are discovered and a report is sent. If I keep the tags in the field and a new Event Cycle starts nothing is reported. If I take the tags away from the field, wait a few Event Cycles and then put them back in the field, nothing is reported. It seems like logicAlloy only reports tags that have never been discovered before, and ignores tags that have been read before.

I thought the whole idea behind the "CURRENT" Report Set is to report tags that are currently in the field of the reader, irregardless of if they have been read/discovered before, this doesn't seem to happen though. Is my problem a bug or a feature (i.e. it is supposed to be this way)?

I hope someone has an answer. :)

-Øystein/n1tro

• logicAlloy

logicAlloy - 2008-07-04

What is the "persist time" setting for the logical reader? If you don't keep the tag out of the reader's view for longer than this setting between reads, then the logical reader will discard it as a duplicate read.

• Øystein Carlsson

I have the "persistence time" set to 5000ms. It doesn't matter if the tag is not in the view for 6s or if I wait to the next day, it doesn't report it more than one time. LogicAlloy seems to reset this whateveritis when I go the physical reader, choses "edit" and then "save", without changing anything. After this it reads and reports all the tags again, but only one time.

Weird stuff!

-Øystein/n1tro

• logicAlloy

logicAlloy - 2008-07-06

If you go to "EPC Devices", then click "view log" for the IF5 reader, what do you see? Is the tag logged every time the reader reads it, or is it only reported once?

• Tore Storřdegĺrd

I have the same problem with the IF5 reader, did you find a solution to this problem? I have tried different persistence times, down to 1 ms, and whatever I do, the tag is read only once. The log is showing the first read only?

• Tore Storřdegĺrd

I got the following answer from Øystein by mail:

"I didn't find any solution to the problem I mentioned in the mail list no. At my workplace I had an Impinj Speedway RFID reader available as well, so I switched to that one, and started using Fosstrak's (http://www.fosstrak.org) implementation of the EPCglobal Filtering & Collection middleware instead."

Personally, I would like to use logicalloy, but I need to sort out this problem. Any ideas what is the reason for this issue?

• Nobody/Anonymous

We have exactly the same problem with IF5 reader. Isn't there any workaround for this?

• Nobody/Anonymous

IF5 driver sends READ REPORT=EVENT command to hw and that instructs reader to report only new tags. We did small modification to IF5 driver which resets readers memory everytime it reads tag.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Could you send the code?