Menu

Shell Context setup fails in 64bit window

2017-02-10
2022-11-09
  • Joe Beauchamp

Joe Beauchamp - 2017-02-10

I am unable to put Locate in the context menu for My Computer in Win 7 64bit. Now it is Win 10 64bit and I thought I'd look into it, so looked for the latest locate and put in V 3.1 RC3M build 11.7100 for 64bit..

I found that I can add Locate to the drive menu and Locate claims that it is set for My Documents, but Win 10 has Documents or my name instead of My Documents, so I didn't see anything there. The setting in Locate for My Computer would be cleared each time I went back to check/set it (unlike for My Documents, drives or folders).

I even made my own .reg entry and put it in. I could see it in regedit but it did not show up in the context menu. This is not the same issue as Locate trying it because Locate inserted nothing there.

I miss the quick access to Locate with a right click on My Computer, especially in the braindead Windows 10 where I don't even get a RUN box. It feels like I have to fill out a requisition to do anything on that system instead of click click and be going.

Not that it matters, but here is what I inserted with zero results (except to see it there with regedit):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*\shell\locate]
    @="&Locate..."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*\shell\locate\command]
    @="\"C:\Program Files (x86)\Locate\locate32.exe\" /P3"

I've used locate for years and appreciate this fine utility. Thanks for the great work! (Oh, and yes I can install the item just fine for Win 7 32bit, vista, winxp, and I think I have it in win2003 and win2008 servers, but just can't get that item in there for this one laptop which went from Win 7 64bit to Win 10 64bit.)

-- Joe B.

• jmj

jmj - 2017-02-11

I guess they have changed something for Win10. I do not have Win10, so I can't here. Sorry! Maybe there is someone else who would know the correct keys

• Joe Beauchamp

Joe Beauchamp - 2017-02-11

The same problem was there for Win 7 64bit, which is why I assumed it was a 64 bit thing, since it ran fine on my Win 7 32bit. I see other programs add their item, like Sandboxie. So it is doable. Not a killer, just thought after putting up with it for a year or so and trying the latest version of Locate, I'd mention it. (and trying to simply jam in the item)

Doc pointers are wrong, BTW, for where to get new version, send bug reports, etc. It's fine with me, except it is confusing where to actually get the latest version, after sifting through all the sites claiming to have Locate software.

Starting out in Unix in the 70's, I always appreciated the locate command, as I'm guessing you do. It still is the best tool.

Thanks again for the great utility!!

• jmj

jmj - 2017-02-13

I do not have problems in Win7 64 bit. But in 64bit Windows, Locate32 should also be 64bit. Ohter thing is that some times it may require Admin prileges to do thoss registry changes (i.e. Locate32.exe shuold be run as admin when you change those options).

• jmj

jmj - 2017-02-13

I checked the registry key Locate32 is currently using. Those are these:

• My Computer:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\locate

• My documents:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\shell\locate

• Drives:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\locate

• Folders:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\locate

Thesse keys have subkey "command" as you specified in your example.

As I said, Locate32 should be 64 bit in 64 bit Windows, because 32bit applications will see different registry tree when accessing to registry.

In Win10, these might be sligtly different. Or it might be different approach.

Last edit: jmj 2017-02-13
  • Engehausen

Engehausen - 2022-11-09

Hi there,
    I have added locate32 to the context menu in Windows 10 via the registry in this way:
    Add to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell" a new key named "locate32"
    Add to the new key a new String named "Icon" and set it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\locate32\locate32.exe,0"
    Add to the key "locate32" a new key named "command" and set the standard value to:
    " C:\Program Files (x86)\locate32\locate32.exe -P:"%1" ".
    Make sure to add -P:"%1" after the filename, and don't forget the quotation marks at %1. When you are done, you can search folder with locate32. The selected folder will be used as the "look in path". Good Luck!