Menu

Recording on/off on Windows server

Andrew S
2021-02-10
2021-02-10
  • Andrew S

Andrew S - 2021-02-10

I run my Jamulus servers on windows using task scheduler to start at boot, with "-n" no gui option. This works reliably, but I can't turn recording on/off whilst the server is up and running. This is an increasing pain as it means manual maintenance work to periodically remove unwanted recordings. I realise that SIGUSR1/2 don't exist on Windows - but is there any other way to achieve this same effect that will work with Jamulus on Windows (or plans to introduce one)? Thanks.

--Andrew

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2021-02-10

Is there not some equivalent of SIGUSR1/2 on Windows? If not, then there isn't currently a plan to do something that would work with Windows since the use of -n on Windows seems pretty rare (in fact I'd be interested to know why you'd run -n under Windows)

• Andrew S

Andrew S - 2021-02-10

-n is required to get the task to start in task manager at boot time. There's no logged in user so it appears that trying to start a GUI causes Jamulus to fail.

• Andrew S

Andrew S - 2021-02-10

And no, there's no equivalent. Inter-process communication is dealt with in various other ways. The most simplistic is to monitor the status of a file's contents.

Last edit: Andrew S 2021-02-10
  • DonC

DonC - 2021-02-10

On Win10 use the GUI, that's what it's there for.

• Andrew S

Andrew S - 2021-02-10

If you start a task at boot there's no GUI to use - the process is running in a different context to a logged in user, so even if you subsequently log in there's no GUI. The problem is there's no GUI. That's why a Windows inter-process equivalent to SIGUSR is required to start/stop recording.

• DonC

DonC - 2021-02-10

Try making a link to Jamulus in this directory:
    C:\Users\userName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

It will start whenever userName logs in. The GUI should work.

• Andrew S

Andrew S - 2021-02-10

Not sure you're understanding my use case. Jamulus starts up automatically when the server starts. I don't want to have to log in to start it. That way I can remotely start and stop the server (and Jamulus) as dessired. The servers are hosted on AWS so I can simply manage them via the EC2 console.

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2021-02-10

Oh OK. Hm.

Short answer is, no - you can't control recording on a headless Windows server while its running as you can with Linux. But you could raise a feature request?