Menu

People can’t see my server (default setting, firewall off)

Matt
2020-03-18
2020-10-14
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Matt

Matt - 2020-03-18

Problem with making server visible to others

Tried on Mac with WiFi. On windows 10 laptop with WiFi and Ethernet.
    I can easily connect to servers that exists. I can see my server, but only on computer that created it.
    On PC I created server with default setting, only giving name and location city. Register server default.
    On Mac the same with GUI
    Tested with firewall on and allowing connection for jamalus, and firewall off completely. On Mac and PC the same.
    My friend made server and it worked but when i try he cannot see it

Do I need to change something on my router?
    I run out of options

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-03-18

Yes, the port Jamalus Server is listening to has to be forwarded in the router to the LAN IP address of the machine that runs the Server.

👍
  • Matt

Matt - 2020-03-18

ok, can You help me, how can i do this? cause tutorial says that there is no meed to do anything

• Matt

Matt - 2020-03-18

Ok so i looked into it. Used part of tutorial that i didnt understand at first. But Your answer helped me. So i login to my router, and there it is. Port forwarding. I type my pc adress (the one that i use as a server. But i have a problem with ports. Cant setup ports that are in jamulus server.

• Volker Fischer

Volker Fischer - 2020-03-18

You do not need to add a port forwarding. Jamulus opens the port itself. The problem you described is a known issue, please see: https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/bugs/12/
    Since you are at your own local network, you should know the local IP address of your server. Just type in that IP address in the Connect Setup->Server Name/Address edit box and click on the Connect button. Then it should work.

• Matt

Matt - 2020-03-18

thanks i saw that but my friend outside of my network cant see my server ether.   My Main problem is that people can't see it outside my network

• Volker Fischer

Ok, then I misunderstood your initial post. Did your friend not see your server on both systems, Mac and Windows PC?
    I fear that you have an IPv6 only internet connection. Jamulus only supports IPv4 right now. But I recently tested to run a Jamulus server on a PC which was connected on a DSLite internet connection and it showed up in the list of a remote PC. I did not really understood how that worked...
    So the correct ticket for your issue might then be https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/feature-requests/50/

• Volker Fischer

But maybe it is really an issue with the ports on your router. As I said, Jamulus tries itself to keep the port open but maybe that does not work on your router. So maybe Gronazs idea could solve your issue.

👍
  • Matt

Matt - 2020-03-18

i read that i have no nat loopback in my router. Does that makes all problems?

• Volker Fischer

Yes, that can be the cause of the problem. Do you have the possibility to try out a different router to nail down the problem to the current router?

• Matt

Matt - 2020-03-18

Unfortunately no. I have to wait till friday. My friend who had no problem with setting server will have by then new fast internet connection, so he will start server. By the way is there a way to make provate server for band practice? Or password protected one? While we tested someone from far away joined us and this made ping so big that it was unusable...

• Aerodrummer

Aerodrummer - 2020-03-18

Don't register your server to the central server. And have you tried to put 22122-22125 in Public Port Range AND Target Port Range of your router?

Last edit: Aerodrummer 2020-03-18
        • Matt

Matt - 2020-03-19

Don't register your server to the central server.
          doi need to change anything else?   Cause wheni check this, my friend can't find this server.   He type the name. Does he need to type IP or what?

• Aerodrummer

Aerodrummer - 2020-03-19

Yes, your external address (and port if you've changed it)

👍
  • Aerodrummer

Aerodrummer - 2020-03-18

Looking at your picture (portfor.jpg) I think you should put 22122-22125 in Public Port Range AND Target Port Range.

👍
    • Christian Saether

Is there an explanation of what the port range is used for?

• Christian Saether

I also have a nat'ing router. On my windows system I start the server and have it registered. Running a client on the same system sees the server listed as available to connect to. But a mac client on a laptop does not see it.

The Windows client shows the local loopback address 127.0.0.1. I was expecting it would show the external ip. Do I need to be using dyndns for anyone outside to see it? Still don't understand, though, why the windows client sees the window server, but not the mac client, which seems to see all the rest.

• Enesto

Enesto - 2020-09-10

Hi! We have a server ( public called BerutiPrueba default list) running on windows. Our windows clients see the list but our Mac clients donot. That was your issue? How did you solved it? (it is the same when using private server in windows, mac client does not connect and windows clints does)

• Aerodrummer

Aerodrummer - 2020-03-18

The Windows client is on the same computer as your server, so it’s normal you see the loopback address. Is the mac client in the same network as your Windows computer? If it’s so, you could try to put your internal IP address (and server port?) of your Windows computer in your mac client. But someone outside needs to know your external IP and port if you have it modified. No need for dyndns if you (and the people outside) are knowing your external IP (and port). But you need to open the ports on your router. The port range is for the clients can connect to the server. It's the default port range the Jamulus server is listening to.
    But I’m just guessing. Still 24 hours ago I even did not know, that Jamulus exist.

Last edit: Aerodrummer 2020-03-18
  • Matt

Matt - 2020-03-18

I didnt saw all the post, viewing from phone. You made it! It works!
    Special thanks to @Gronaz with first post @corrados Volker for amazing work and @W. Piroth for solution for not working port forwarding.

For future requests. Especialy from Poland, i had upc modem-router horizon. This sh.. is blocked by default. Adding port forwarding just like in tutorial last section, works like a charm!
    Of course add ip from computer you use as a server, and if You test by connecting with diferent computer on the same network in jamulus YOU WONT SEE YOUR SERVER ON YOUR NETWORK. Instead enter ip adress of computer with server on it. This is it :)

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-03-19

Another comment about Volker's "~no need to port forward, server does it for you~" : I agree, but only if you have UPnP enabled in the router. For me I disable this feature so I always need port forwards for any server/p2p software I use, although I think to one that don't need it (bi-directionnal p2p (not like Jamulus) connection over same port, but requires at least one of the peers has a port forward to create a real p2p connection to drop the need of helper relay servers: Syncthing).
    Good Jam all, thank you Volker

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-03-19

EDIT : don't forget a PC in a LAN is protected by 2 ~firewalls~: the NAT router (instruct port forward to PC) plus the PC's firewall (allow application/port traffic to self)

• Reniel Nueda

Reniel Nueda - 2020-08-04

can anybody help me, I have created a server which my friend can connect, but myself I cannot connect, stuck only with trying to connect

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2020-09-10

Where is your friend, where are you, where is the server? (meant as Jamulus software)

Last edit: Vincenzo 2020-09-10
  • David CLARKE

David CLARKE - 2020-09-21

MacBook Pro (13in late 2016) MacOS 10.15.6. Set up Jamulus server and Jamulus client version 3.5.10. Located in Melbourne, Australia. Uses default Central server. Client successfully connects to HobsonsOpenMic. Colleague across the Internet using Windows also able to connect to same server. Started server on laptop. Screen shows Client IP: port as 10.0.0.1:22134. Selected Make My Server Public. Colleague cannot see my server in CS List. Checked using Jamulus Explorer, server not in CS List under its name Chelys. My own client on same network as server able to connect to server as 10.0.0.1.
    Used Router feature to Port Forward 22122-22135. Restarted server. Server still does appear in CS List.
    What should I do?

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)