Menu

Jamulus server with Fios Quantum Gateway modem possible?

G Cooper
2021-01-12
2021-01-14
  • G Cooper

G Cooper - 2021-01-12

Hi
    I installed the Jamulus server in Windows 10. I can access it from other workstations using the server's local IP address. However, I cannot access it using its public IP address. I would like members of my string quartet to be able to access this Jamulus server so we practice together safely.

I have set up the port forwarding on my fios gateway modem to forward udp traffic for port 22124 to the local IP address of the Jamulus server. I also rebooted the Fios Gateway Modem. I still only get a "trying to connect" message when using the public IP address.

I also temporarily disabled all the security and firewall apps in Windows 10 and this did not help. I then made the machine a dual boot machine and installed the Jamulus server in Ubuntu Linux. It worked the same in Linux - internal IP address is fine, cannot access Jamulus with the public IP address.

I may have not not set up the port forwarding correctly or Verizon may be blocking this traffic. Has anyone been able to get a Jamulus server working with a Fios Quantum Gateway modem or run into this problem?

thanks
    George

• DonC

DonC - 2021-01-14

Hi George,
    Can you connect to other public servers?
    I would start out by setting your server up as a public server (note that if you are all on a public server and "solo" each other you will not hear anyone else connecting to the server)
    Once you have your server running public you can check the IP address using the Jamulus explorer: https://explorer.jamulus.io/
    Then set your server to private again, use the IP address you saw in the Explorer. If it then still doesn't work you need to check the port forwarding again.
    I hope that helps.
    Don

• G Cooper

G Cooper - 2021-01-14

Thanks, Don! I will try this. Right now the Jamulus Central Server is full, so I will wait a bit and try later to make my server public.

• DonC

DonC - 2021-01-14

Hi George,
        You can use one of the other central servers. The Jazz server is the least used, I think.
        You need to add a parameter to the --centralserver command line option.
        For the Jazz server for example: --centralserver jamulusjazz.fischvolk.de:22324
        See the documentation here:
        https://jamulus.io/wiki/Central-Servers

• G Cooper

G Cooper - 2021-01-14

Actually, I checked the server documentation and I guess I just need to start up my public Jamulus server and wait for an opening to appear in the central server.
    -George

• G Cooper

G Cooper - 2021-01-14

Don,
    My public Jamulus server (gcoop88) is now registered in the folk/classical/choir central server. The IP address in Jamulus Explorer is my home network's public IP address. I was able to connect to it via the client. In the Jamulus explorer server list, mine is not bolded. My guess is that this means my public Jamulus server is not accessible from outside my home network. Is this correct? If so, I will follow up with my ISP (verizon) on the port forwarding.
    Also when I connect to this Jamulus server from this same machine, it shows the machine's local IP address followed by port 22175 in the Client IP: Port field in the Jamulus Server app. Do I need to open up port 22175 also in my router firewall?
    Thanks,
    George

• DonC

DonC - 2021-01-14

The bolding in the server list only means that the server has been online for more than (I think) 2 days. It doesn't change functionality at all.
    I just signed in on your server and it is working fine, (with more than 100ms ping for me :) ).
    I see for your server 96.255.227.62:22124 and that is what someone external to your network should use.
    If it still refuses to work as a private server you can open a range of UDP ports and then try to reduce that range that as much as possible.
    Don

👍
  • G Cooper

G Cooper - 2021-01-14

Awesome! I had asked a friend to try to connect, but you beat her to it. We are up and running. I'll work on getting the private server working, but the public server will do for now. I really appreciate your help. Thanks, Don!