Menu

Recommended sound devices

2020-03-28
2021-01-07
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2020-07-09

Regarding Macs, it seems that their audio module is well done.
    Regarding the server ping time, the single most significant factor is the (network-wise) distance between server and each player/singer. So before software optimization, you should find the right hosting site. Fiddling with cloud services makes it easy and cheap to move a server until you find the best place, although it might be not the absolute best. However, not all the participants will have the same ping time (we are six, with ping times to the server ranging from 15-18 to 35-40 ).

• Scott Roewe

Scott Roewe - 2020-07-09

Thank you very much!

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 5:46 AM Vincenzo vdm@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Regarding Macs, it seems that their audio module is well done.
      Regarding the server ping time, the single most significant factor is the
      (network-wise) distance between server and each player/singer. So before
      software optimization, you should find the right hosting site. Fiddling
      with cloud services makes it easy and cheap to move a server until you find
      the best place, although it might be not the absolute best. However, not
      all the participants will have the same ping time (we are six, with ping
      times to the server ranging from 15-18 to 35-40 ).

https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/hardware/thread/22f364851e/?limit=25&page=1#9777/9e52/a14e/14d7

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/hardware/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

--
      Music Teacher
      New Roads High School
      Music Director
      Unitarian Universalist Church of Santa Clarita

• Mervin Beng

Mervin Beng - 2020-07-09

The musicians I work with use Mac and Win, and I use Linux. I concur with Vincenzo's comments. We've had few issues with MacOS.

Comparing Win and Linux (Arch Linux in my case), I've not had any issues at all with Focusrite and Audient Evo 4 on Linux, whereas there has been the need to switch drivers ASIO4ALL to vendor's drivers when moving from built-in to interfaces. Also I found it interesting that even with latest drivers and firmware, the Evo 4 seemed to have 4-5 ms greater delay on Win 10 compared to Linux, all things being similar (small buffers, fastupdate).

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-07-11

I didn't create a video, I'm afraid. This is because Jamulus is quite rapidly evolving, and video content is hard to keep up to date (the GUI for the server is being update rather a lot in the next release, for example).

• Isaac Clason

Isaac Clason - 2020-11-08

More on "soundcard" delay/latency:

I have done a setup with oscilloscope, ZoomH6 and a MacMini with Jamulus.
    Measured time from mic signal to signal returning in the headphonejack.
    With the server in the same computer I got 0ms pingtime and 13ms total delay indicated in the Jamulus panel. The measured delay was 25ms, so my H6 needed 12ms to do it's job.
    When testing against a server 250km away, I got 33ms measured total delay from micsignal to headphone return...
    So the delay or latency in the Zoom H6 is around 12ms with my setup.

Next setup with oscilloscope, Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 (4in/4out) and a MacMini with Jamulus.
    Measured time from line-in signal to signal returning in the line-out jack.
    Small buffer active, 2.67ms. Jitterbuffer local and server level 3.
    With the server in the same computer I got 1ms pingtime and 12ms total delay indicated in the Jamulus panel. The measured latency was 14ms. (Focusrite needed appr 2ms to do it's job.)
    No difference with standard USB connection or USB-C.

Next setup with Yamaha MG10XU mixer rendered 18ms from input to output latency. (Yamaha needed 6-7ms to do it’s job.)
    The setup with Yamaha was a little bit tricky, to get a clean USB return to speakers, the speakers must be connected to the "Monitor out" or the "Phones jack". Put the button "TO MON / TO ST" in popped out position, i.e. "to mon" position. Put the button "STEREO MUTE" in pushed in position.
    The signal level to speakers/headphones can now be controlled via the Monitor/Phones knob, without feedback echo from USB signal going around in the mixer...

So my experience is that You have to add the latency of Your soundcard/interface to the figure indicated by Jamulus as "Total delay". (Jamulus only indicates the delays within Jamulus.)

• Charlie Channel

Charlie Channel - 2020-11-08

Solid State Logic SSL2+ USB Audio Interface:

I'm using the SSL2+ on a WinTel 10. Flawless integration with Jamulus. The ASIO driver from SSL is perfect. Nothing else needed. Inputs and outputs enabled me to easily integrate the unit into my home studio. I especially love the monitoring capabilities. I rate it as excellent. I'll try it on the Mac when I've got a moment.

Apogee Duet:

I have a Macbook Pro running a Duet (I've had it for a number of years). Works fine with Jamulus. Nicely configurable with the Maestro software that comes with the unit (with a little trial and terror to get the signal path correct).

• Mari Gottdiener

Mari Gottdiener - 2021-01-07

I am using Jamulus on a Macbook Air, and would like to be able to use my iPhone as a mic (with an app), same as I do for JamKazam. However, when I try to choose iPhone in settings, I get a message to set my sample rate to 48,000. It already is set for that, but I don’t know what bit size to use (16, 20,24, etc). I have tried them all but the message keeps coming up. Do you know what settings I need to use on the Audio Midi Setup? Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust settings on the iPhone itself (iPhone 8)?

• Mari Gottdiener

I am using Jamulus on a Macbook Air, and would like to be able to use my iPhone as a mic (with an app), same as I do for JamKazam. However, when I try to choose iPhone in settings, I get a message to set my sample rate to 48,000. It already is set for that, but I don’t know what bit size to use (16, 20,24, etc). I have tried them all but the message keeps coming up. Do you know what settings I need to use on the Audio Midi Setup? Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust settings on the iPhone itself (iPhone 8)?

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-07

if you explain which app you are using, maybe it could become possible to help you.

• Mari Gottdiener

Jamulus.

Mari

On Jan 7, 2021, at 10:15 AM, Vincenzo vdm@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

if you explain which app you are using, maybe it could become possible to help you.

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/hardware/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-07

the "mic" app.

• Mari Gottdiener

And the mic app is Microphone Live.

Mari

On Jan 7, 2021, at 7:26 AM, Mari Gottdiener marigott@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/hardware/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)