Menu

Behringer UMC22 Audio Interface

Nick Veit
2020-04-01
2021-01-21
  • Nick Veit

Nick Veit - 2020-04-01

EDIT: apparently also works with UM2.

I've finally resolved an issue for a musician friend who chose to buy one of these inexpensive audio interfaces for his Windows 10 laptop because it offers two inputs to support both his mic and instrument.

Without boring you with details, Behringer offers the generic ASIO4ALL driver for use with this product. However, with this generic driver the interface was working very badly (failed at 128 samples, high latency, pops and cutouts, unreliable).

After much pain checking and upgrading everything on his laptop, I now highly recommend the Behringer driver for a different model available in both 32 and 64 bit format under the heading "Behringer USB ASIO Drivers (For Zenyx Q502USB, Q802USB & Q1002USB Small Mixers)" at this web page: http://recordingstudio9.com/about/download/.

Uninstall ASIO4ALL. Install this replacement driver then experiment with the settings from within Jamulus. You should be able to achieve much less latency and enjoy a reliable sound. This two input interface is now a good choice for use with Jamulus.

Last edit: Nick Veit 2020-04-02
  • Laurent Schwartz

thank you, i did not solve the berhinger uca202 configuration issue on Windows 10. it didn.t work on windows with 128 frames but worked like a charm on ubuntu studio. https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/thread/3914334264/

i will try your solution.

Last edit: Laurent Schwartz 2020-04-01
    • Rob Durkin

Rob Durkin - 2020-04-10

Did the older ASIO driver fix your issue with the UCA202 on Windows 10?

• Kevin Wilson

Kevin Wilson - 2020-04-10

It did for me (thanks Laurent!). I uninstalled the Asio4All drivers and installed the 64bit version of the drivers Laurent said to use and bang, everything just worked. Note: make sure the audio interface is unplugged before you start the new driver installation, the software will prompt you to plug it in during installation and then prompt you to unplug it and plug back in once again. So you'll need to pay attention to the screen during the driver installation.

• D Brooks McKinney

Thank you for this post. Got my Behringer umc22 working with Jamulus by following your advice on drivers.

👍
  • Kevin Wilson

Hi guys. My friend just bought Behringer UMC22 but hasn't been able to get any sound coming into Jamulus (fader is set to the midde so should hear something). I had him try installing the Asio4All drivers but that didn't help so have told him to uninstall those and install these other drivers mentioned above. The thing I find odd is that when you go into the sound settings on his PC (Windows 8.1) it shows the Behringer is using some generic drivers, not Asio4All. Anyway, I'll have him uninstall them and install this new driver and see what happens.

Once installed, if he goes into Windows sound settings should he see that 'Behringer USB ASIO' is the driver being used for the Behringer UMC22? Under Playback devices etc

Any tips for setting this up would be hugely appreciated. I actually have three buddies that all bought this same device and I'm IT support! lol

• Nick Veit

Nick Veit - 2020-04-10

Did he select the relevant ASIO driver in Jamulus settings?

• Kevin Wilson

He said he did but can't be sure. I've asked him to install TeamViewer so I can remote in and do it myself. He's not good with computers. Will respond back and let you know what happens. This forum has been very helpful btw. Thx

• Rob Durkin

Rob Durkin - 2020-04-10

Kevin, if your friend is using Quick Assist, you can connect to his PC using Quick Assist - no Teamviewer required.

• Brian Musker

Brian Musker - 2020-06-12

Interesting - I have a friend who purchased the UMC22. We tried with both the ASIO4ALL / native win10 ASIO drivers, and the other behringer driver listed earlier in this thread. In both cases, we were only able to get audio from either the mic OR the guitar input to get into jamulus. Testing with Reaper, both are active simultaneously in both scenarios.

His Jamulus client shows activity from BOTH inputs simultaneously on the level meters (with different signals) when using the ASIO4ALL driver approach, but what arrives at the server is missing the left channel. I checked recordings at the server side of sessions with him in MONO, MONO-STEREO, and STEREO input modes, and in each case, the audio from the left channel is missing, even though his level meters show activity for both channels.

He is running the 3.5.6 client under Win10, and I am running the 3.5.5 server. Does any of this sound familiar / any suggestions?

Also, FYI, when running the ASIO4ALL approach, we found that the <256 sample audio problem was fixed by setting the ASIO4ALL "use hardware buffers (doesn't always work) option.

Take care,

Brian

• Alfons Schaafsma

Hello everybody.

I tried to install the 64bit "Behringer USB ASIO Drivers (For Zenyx Q502USB, Q802USB & Q1002USB Small Mixers)" as you recommended, but the installation failed.
    Error: "Time-out -0x0005".

I had first installed the most recent driver (UMC -Driver_4-59-0). It worked immediately with Jamulus but the latency was disappointing (i.e. almost no difference with the direct analog connection of the micriphone to the PC plus built-iin Realtek soundcard plus ASIO4ALL) as you had predicted ...

I 've tried the 64 bit driver on my PC and my wife 's laptop, both Windows 10, after uninstalling the other driver.

Anybody an idea for a solution?

Thanks
    Alfons

• Brian Musker

Brian Musker - 2020-12-30

Hi - wondering if you have tried increasing the timeout value on the off chance that it is just taking too long?

The change that's described here - Solution: #Windows Driver installation timeout issue (0x800705b4) (kunal-chowdhury.com)https://www.kunal-chowdhury.com/2015/03/windows-error-code-0x800705b4.html is perhaps worth trying if you haven't already?

Also, on another UMC22 note - I now have three friends for whom Jamulus only sends one channel to the server, although the VU meters in the client show audio on both channels, and other tools like Reaper can record on both channels simultaneously. This is true for every version of the Jamulus client we have tried. I'm amazed that this isn't a problem others seem to be having, given that everyone I know with the UMC22 seems to have the problem...

Take care,

Brian

Sent: December 30, 2020 8:18 AM
      To: [llcon:discussion] 533517@discussion.llcon.p.re.sourceforge.net
      Subject: [llcon:discussion] Behringer UMC22 Audio Interface

Hello everybody.

I tried to install the 64bit "Behringer USB ASIO Drivers (For Zenyx Q502USB, Q802USB & Q1002USB Small Mixers)" as you recommended, but the installation failed.
      Error: "Time-out -0x0005".

I had first installed the most recent driver (UMC -Driver_4-59-0). It worked immediately with Jamulus but the latency was disappointing (i.e. almost no difference with the direct analog connection of the micriphone to the PC plus built-iin Realtek soundcard plus ASIO4ALL) as you had predicted ...

I 've tried the 64 bit driver on my PC and my wife 's laptop, both Windows 10, after uninstalling the other driver.

Anybody an idea for a solution?

Thanks
      Alfons

Behringer UMC22 Audio Interfacehttps://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/thread/a10703c6a0/?limit=25#d42e

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Peter Chan

Peter Chan - 2021-01-21

I would like to share with you my experience on Behringer UMC22. Me and my bandmates have been jamming with Jamulus for many months now and I had experimented with many issues from latency to OS, interfaces, drivers compatibility etc and have finally stablized all the variables that affected us at the beginning. So I do get some reasonable understanding on making Jamulus to work. One of my bandmate is using the UMC22. When I started installing him with the ASIO4ALL driver as specified by Behringer, it did not work. Then by trial and error, I discovered that it simply would not support buffer size less than 256. I believe this is due to cheaper electronics on a cheaper product. I uninstalled ASIO4ALL on his Win10 computer and switched it to the other Behringer driver as mentioned also in this post. It works with Jamulus but because that Behringer GUI setting does not let you choose the buffer size, you have no idea what was used. I believe it automatically set to 256 or higher to support the cheap interface as a default. My conclusion is that as long as you use the UMC22 with a higher buffer size it will work at the penalty of larger latency. With that understanding, one properly can also go back to ASIO4ALL and manually set the buffer size to 256 or above to prove that it will work with Jamulus as well. That's my 2 cent.

• Aerodrummer

Aerodrummer - 2021-01-21

If you are speaking about this driver “BEHRINGER_2902_X64_2.8.40” you can choose the buffer size in “System performance” (it’s not called buffer size, but it does what you want to do). And don’t forget to restart Jamulus after having changed something.