[draft] HOWTO install Jamulus as a "headless" server on Ubuntu 18.04

Gilgongo
2020-03-20
2020-11-29
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 3 of 5)
  • Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-23

Hi Petra.

50 MBit / 10 MBit DSL should be more than enough bandwidth. With about 5 or 6 players my server pulls about 60-70 kByte/s.

Latency harder to predict though. As long as the players are all using wired connections (not wifi) and decent audio interfaces (eg Behringer UCA222) and bobody is doing anything else with their internet connection (eg watching YouTube or something!) then you should be OK. But really the only way is to try it and see :-)

The server can be on the same system as a client, yes. You don't need to run it as root if you don't want to though (see the HOWTO which runs the server as a non-privileged user).

BTW it sounds like you will need to port forward if you are planning on running the server inside your network. That will need you to have access to your router of course.

• Tony Fay

Tony Fay - 2020-03-25

Hi Volker..I have followed these excelent insall instructions and i belive I have a private server up and running... I have it configured on port 22111. A question for you .. If I want to use the Client "Connection Setup" scrren to connect to this server I am unsure what I need to put in to the 'Server Name/Address' text box.. I was putting in 192.168.0.213:22111 and that then shows int he connection widow on the home screen. However if I put in ficticious address it also shows on the screen (as if it were successful). In other words is there actually any checks to see if it actually sucessfully connected to the server? Thanks Tony

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-03-25

publicIP:22111 (instruct friends) + 22111 port Forward to 192.168.0.213 in your router for remote friends.
    PS : 50D/10U Mb/s is not possible with ADSL : you'll get stuck at 20D/1U . VDSL allows more (30(50?)D/3U.
    A question to our experienced devs : do the server make multicast to the clients ?

Last edit: Gronaz 2020-03-25
  • Nicholas Neil-Boss

Hi - thank you for the software and the helpful how-to. I have recently renamed my Jamulus server and noticed that it is now registering on the central server listed as a partial IP address 82.163.78.x and an incorrect location. I have checked the start script very carefully. Any ideas?

Last edit: Nicholas Neil-Boss 2020-03-25
    • Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-25

Hi Nicholas - can you tell me the exact command you are using to start your server?

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

!/bin/bash

chrt 99 ionice -c1 nice -n -20 \
        sudo -u jamulus bash -c \
        '/usr/local/bin/llcon-jamulus/Jamulus -s -n \
        -l /var/log/jamulus/jam.log \
        -e "jamulus.fischvolk.de" \
        -o “mojolounge.net;London;224” \
        -w "Welcome to the Mojo Lounge! This is a rehearsal room for the band Nylon Mojo. All welcome to use while we are not here. Rock on!"'

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

!/bin/bash

-w "Welcome to the Mojo Lounge! This is a rehearsal room for the band Nylon Mojo. All welcome to use while we are not here. Rock on!"'

On 25 Mar 2020, at 12:44, Gilgongo gilgongojones@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Hi Nicholas - can you tell me the exact command you are using to start your server?

[draft] HOWTO install Jamulus as a "headless" server on Ubuntu 18.04 https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/thread/82a9b5316e/?limit=100#46e5/9cfc
        Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/ https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/
        To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/ https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Why are my posts being flagged as spam?

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

At least some of them are being blocked : "Post Awaiting Moderation" Any ideas? . This s how I start Jamulus
          usr/local/bin/llcon-jamulus/Jamulus -s -n \
          -w "Welcome to the Mojo Lounge! This is a rehearsal room for the band Nylon Mojo. All welcome to use while we are not here. Rock on!"

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Ones that include copied characters from Terminal?

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-25

Not sure why you are being flagged as spam, but if you can post how you are starting the server (eg Jamulus -s -n -l /var/log/jamulus/jam.log -e "jamulus.fischvolk.de" .. etc."), including anything you might also be seeing on the terminal.

Please also say what platform/OS you are using.

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Hi, I think forum platform may be picking up what it thinks are URLs. Will try again root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=jamulus ; COMMAND=/bin/bash -c /usr/local/bin/llcon-jamulus/Jamulus -s -n \
              -w "Welcome to the Mojo Lounge! This is a rehearsal room for the band Nylon Mojo. All welcome to use while we are not here. Rock on!"

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Hi - root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=jamulus ; COMMAND=/bin/bash -c /usr/local/bin/llcon-jamulus/Jamulus -s -n \

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Thanks for response - I have figured it out on my own. I used the wrong style of " in one line my script file. Thanks - The "mojo lounge" now online

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Also whenever I try to post something that I have copied from my Terminal window , the Sourceforge spam filter blocks me

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-25

Ah yes, smart quotes had crept in. Glad it's working now. Weird that SF flaggd your posts though - and now they've all come through!

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

!/bin/bash

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-03-25

Location QLocale ID for france is 74

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-03-25

Strange quotes around -o parameter ?

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Yep, that was it . Thx

• Grigory

Grigory - 2020-03-27

Hello!

I've made a Docker image, so that people don't have to configure/make/install everytime. I was actually able to run in on my Synology NAS 🤪

https://hub.docker.com/r/grundic/jamulus

👍
    • David Harrold

David Harrold - 2020-03-27

Great! And attached is a docker-compose file to go along with Grigory's image.

To download the image and start a Jamulus server within a container:
      (make sure you are in the same directory as this docker-compose.yaml file)
      docker-compose up -d

You can use Docker to view the log messages - no need for a separate log file:
      docker logs jamulus --follow

👍

Last edit: David Harrold 2020-03-27
      • Grigory

Grigory - 2020-03-27

Sweet! Added to readme 👍

• mkelandis

mkelandis - 2020-03-29

Hi - Thanks for the great work putting together this guide. I'm setting up a server on a separate linux machine separate from my macintosh client. The server machine is running:
    CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)

The client is running on a macbook pro.

I have opened UDP port 22124 on my router and mapped it to the server machine local ip.

Everything appears to be running but I noticed a couple of issues...
    1. The cloned master branch is ahead of the client version I have (3.4.5 vs 3.4.4). Should I checkout the commit for 3.4.4 to make sure my server is running LTS? I have tried both but neither way resolves the following issue:
    2. Other folks can connect to my server but I cannot. I am aware of this bug: https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/bugs/12/
    ...however I can't connect to my server (and show up in the room) via any of the methods described.
    Local IP + Port in the connect string allows me to connect to the room but I dont see myself in it, the room appears to be empty.

Here is the output from the service:

sudo systemctl status jamulus.service 
     jamulus.service - Jamulus-Server
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/local/bin/llcon-jamulus/jamulus.service; linked; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-03-29 12:11:36 EDT; 5s ago
     Main PID: 6288 (Jamulus)
       CGroup: /system.slice/jamulus.service
               └─6288 /usr/local/bin/llcon-jamulus/Jamulus -s -n -l /var/log/jamulus/jam.log -o thespace;Kensington,MD;225 -e jamulus.fischvolk.de -w Welcome To The Space -u 7

Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: - server mode chosen
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: - no GUI mode chosen
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: - logging file name: /var/log/jamulus/jam.log
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: - server info: thespace;Kensington,MD;225
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: - central server: jamulus.fischvolk.de
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: - welcome message: Welcome To The Space
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: - maximum number of channels: 7
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: *** Jamulus, Version 3.4.5git
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: *** Internet Jam Session Software
    Mar 29 12:11:36 hintercraft jamulus[6288]: *** Under the GNU General Public License (GPL)

I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like when I enter the room using localip+port.

I have seen some actvity tailing the log so it looks like others can use the room:

tail -f /var/log/jamulus/jam.log 
    29.3.2020, 10:34:33, 73.16.207.206, connected
    29.3.2020, 10:40:52,, server stopped -------------------------------------
    29.3.2020, 10:46:34, 73.16.207.206, connected
    29.3.2020, 10:47:22, 68.194.113.113, connected
    29.3.2020, 10:50:23, 98.221.113.170, connected
    29.3.2020, 10:55:28,, server stopped -------------------------------------
    29.3.2020, 11:12:03, 68.194.113.113, connected
    29.3.2020, 11:12:22,, server stopped -------------------------------------

One last question - Is Jack needed to run the headless server? I do not have Jack installed on my server.

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-29

Hi - yes, I too can reproduce this pretty much exactly, although in my case the server is outside my LAN on a public IP. I take it that, like me, you can connect OK on other people's servers?

I think at least one other person has described similar issues, but right now I have no idea what's causing it.

Is Jack needed to run the headless server? I do not have Jack installed on my server.

Not needed. In fact if you comppiled the sources according to the HOWTO, the binary will be unable to use Jack.

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 3 of 5)