Menu

Beginner Question - Guitar --> Yamaha THR10II ---> Mac --> Jamulus

2020-06-27
2020-07-05
  • Harvey Dyson

Harvey Dyson - 2020-06-27

I'm trying to jam with a friend with a backing track.
    I'm using a Yahama THR10II as the audio interface to Jamulus via a Mac. I can get that to work as the input and it goes to the server fine. However I can't seem to send the backing track to the server either when used as analog aux input to the the Yahama or direct from the Mac either via Music or Garageband.

I think I need to mix the guitar and backing track signals for sending to Jamulus. I've tried via Garageband and I get some horrible effects and feedback but still no backing track.
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks in advance - this is driving me mad!!

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-06-27

This Yamaha series of Amps is stuck to 44k1, so no luck with Jamulus. In windows although, maybe using Asio4All with the checkbox set to "Convert 44.1<->48" would make it work but I'm not sure when it ever works if the additionnal latency would make this interface a recommanded one.
    I directed a friend of me to send the PHONES output of the THR to one input of a decent interface, e.g. UCA202 of UMC404HD out of many others. There is a list of known working devices at Jamulus' Github page.

👍

Last edit: Gronaz 2020-06-27
  • Harvey Dyson

Harvey Dyson - 2020-06-27

Thanks. Have ditched the Yamaha for Marshall CODE but still can't get backing audio.

• John Lovegrove

John Lovegrove - 2020-07-05

I have attached a drawing for the setup that works for me. I route the output from Ableton Live to a mixing board and then back into the inputs of my M Audio interface. If you add your audio track at the mixer then you and others should hear it on Jamulus.

If you use Garage Band you cannot change the sampling from 44.1Khz, at least on the Mac version, so you get the pitch problem that you may be talking about. Other SW like Ableton and ProTools lets you change the sample rate.

• Gronaz

Gronaz - 2020-07-05

Hi John
    Thanks for this clever/imaginative workaround. While I think I understand the principle when we don't have a 48k device, I wonder a thing that would impact jamulus session: won't the additional path through Ableton or any other DAW will introduce additional latency?
    And for your own setup, what is the point to use an external mixer when Jamulus is yet capable to drive 2 channels?

• John Lovegrove

John Lovegrove - 2020-07-05

Gronaz,

Good point! The Ableton or any other DAW will introduce additional latency, but by keeping the sample size low I kept it minimized. I set the sample size to 256 bits and it introduce about 8ms of latency. I use the Ableton to condition the audio and guitar signals with compression and EQ. For the guitar I also add virtual amps to my relatively clean signal.

I need the external mixer becaause I only get one pass through my USB per audio path. I have tried using blackhole to chain the DAW and Jamulus but have had problems getting that to work. I have also tried setting up an aggregate device. Using the board adds additional noise, and getting all of the inputs and outputs balanced is pretty tricky. If you have any suggestions on how to get it to work without the board I would love to try them.

Thanks,

John