Microsoft Activation

2006-12-26
2013-04-23
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Great tool... However...  most of the computers I work on are individual/smb (OEM) machines store bought ie DELL HP etc..... requiring immediate re-activation.  I have found so far that only Volume Licensed machines work well... and are easiest to view.

It is a royal pain...  I use Encase for my forensic analysis... and would love a simple way to get by the activation process so I can examine all the suspect machines more efficiently...

Is there a magic bullet out there that will temporarily suspend the activation process while viewing a virtualized machine? 

The only way around this issue is to Clone the mounted machine and do a repair/windows re-install with a Volume License Disk.... eating up more time....

Any Suggestions/

Ronald A. Kramer MCSE, ASE
    All Computer Solutions, Inc
    100 Commercial Street
    Portland, ME 04101
    207-799-1313
    617-297-2462 (skype)
    775-248-7623 (fax)
    rkramer@acshq.com
    www.acshq.com

• Matthew Geiger

Matthew Geiger - 2006-12-26

Yes, the activation requirement can be a significant obstacle for interacting with virtualized OEM installs. We'd be happy to hear of ideas for a solution that doesn't fall afoul of DMCA and related laws.

In the meantime, there are a couple of alternatives (both have there own limitations) in addition to those that you noted.

One is to boot the system in Safe Mode, which apparently bypasses/suspends the activation process. Another is to activate the virtualized system using the offline process provided by Microsoft (an automated telephone service) -- of course, you'll want to make sure that you remain compliant with applicable laws and Microsoft's license terms.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks