I was able to solve my problem. Turns out either I missed some piece of
documentation or I got lucky and found someone that was able to explain
exactly what I was missing.
here is exactly what I did...
Radio Shack IR receiver ( 276-640 )
Spare CD audio cable (three wire)
Spare 4pin power connector - standard ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex )
Using a pair of tweezers and the pick from my solder tools, I was able to
extract the red and black pins from the 4pin molex.
I then disconnected the red and black pins from 1 side of the CD audio
I then connected the RED CD audio cable to the RED power pin and re-inserted
that into the 4pin molex connector.
I then connected the BLACK CD audio cable to the BLACK power pin and
re-inserted that into the 4pin molex connector.
You cable will now have 3 ends. 1 Hacked power supply, 1 (single wire) CD
Audio header, and 1 (3 wire) CD Audio header.
Review the correct pin-out for the IR receiver and plug all three ends into
the CD audio cable (the end that still has all three wires attached) I had
to slightly bend the IR pins to have it fit correctly.
Plug the 1 wire CD audio header into the CD in or Line in of your mother
board (modern MBs are starting to not come with these) Take notice of the
orientation as you place the header in, specifically noting LEFT or RIGHT on
the motherboard header. I chose left - but it only matters when you begin
to record later.
Apply power to the circuit by plugging your hacked molex connector into a
live molex power supply from the system. - this completes the basic wiring
of the IR receiver.
Next you need to setup LIRC, I followed the instructions here:
The VERY SPECIFIC thing I missed while reading that (and nearly ripped my
hair out from) was that my hardware wasn't recording in stereo, and I had to
specify the correct channel.
irrecord -d hw@...,l -H alsa_audio remote.conf
The " hw@...,l " specifically records input from the 'capture' interface,
at 44100 hz, using the left channel. You may have to specify the right
channel based on how plugged it in earlier.
Anyway, I'm sure this has all been documented elsewhere but I wanted to
share what finally worked for me.