Any improvement with serial support ?

Help
2010-10-23
2013-04-05
  • Francois Ernst

Francois Ernst - 2010-10-23

Hi, I have an old Intuos A5 wich was working fine until i swicthed to Xorg 1.7.x

The tablet is connected to my laptop with a Serial->USB converter. I use /dev/ttyUSB0 as a device for xconf.org:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Stylus1"
        Driver         "wacom"
        Option         "Type" "Stylus"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/ttyUSB0"
        Option         "Mode" "Absolute"
        Option         "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
    EndSection

I read that serial support is being reworked, i would like to know if there is any progress ? For now, even with git version, it doesn't work :
    (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    (II) Module wacom: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
            compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 0.10.8
            Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
            ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
    (…)
    (EE) Stylus1: usbDetect: can not ioctl version
    (EE) Stylus1: cannot identify device class.
    (II) UnloadModule: "wacom"

Is "ForceISDV4" relevant for my tablet model ? I have found the debuger command but it doesn't recognize my device:

# isdv4-serial-debugger -reset -b 9600 /dev/ttyUSB0
    Not a serial device

• Peter Hutterer

Peter Hutterer - 2010-10-29

no-one is currently working on resurrecting the old serial code. I don't have such a device myself and we rely on the community to help us with the code.
    The new serial code handling is a bit easier than it used to be, so it should be fairly straightforward to add new protocol support, once you figure out how the protocol works. Start with the serial-debugger first, once that works the code is easy to port over to the driver.

• Francois Ernst

Francois Ernst - 2010-10-31

Unfortunatly its way above my skills to contribute directly to the code. But how could i help ? I could grant a ssh access on my computer with the access right to the device. Would it help ?

On the other hand there is the old code from the previous driver to figure out the protocole, nope ?