|
From: Ken M. <ke...@th...> - 2005-06-02 01:28:25
|
I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of them to a specific X display. How can I do this? The first sound card is /dev/dsp and the second is /dev/dsp1. I want display :0 to use /dev/dsp and display :1 to use /dev/dsp1. I've tried the instructions available at http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/automation_multy_snd-cards.shtml but I haven't been able to get them to work with gdm/Gnome. Thanks, Ken |
|
From: yitzhak b. g. <yit...@ya...> - 2005-06-02 09:21:00
|
Try this for assigning sound in Gnome to specific displays (picked from a forum): Question: I tend to play a lot of MP3 files (using X11Amp), and I also have Licq running. While I'm playing MP3 files, Licq can't play sounds when a message comes in. Is there any way to allow this? I realize that it goes against standard UNIX principles, but... Answer: Esd is designed to address this, or at least start to. Esd doesnt address the I have 5 streams and 3 sound cards cases yet but does the simple ones. As long as each sound card has it's own /dev/dsp: esd -port 5001 -d /dev/dsp1 & esd -port 5002 -d /dev/dsp2 & esd -port 5003 -d /dev/dsp3 & For each stream, you'd need to set the ESPEAKER env. var. accordingly: card 1: export ESPEAKER=:5001 or setenv ESPEAKER :5001 card 2: export ESPEAKER=:5002 or setenv ESPEAKER :5002 card 3: export ESPEAKER=:5003 or setenv ESPEAKER :5003 Alan, you want to let me know if^H^H how that works out? =) Esd is available from http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html |
|
From: Aivils <ai...@un...> - 2005-06-02 10:25:44
|
On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: > I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages > from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of > them > to a specific X display. How can I do this? > > The first sound card is /dev/dsp and the second is /dev/dsp1. I want > display :0 to use /dev/dsp and display :1 to use /dev/dsp1. > > I've tried the instructions available at > http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/automation_multy_snd-cards.shtml > but I haven't been able to get them to work with gdm/Gnome. Under Linux access to sound subsystem is little chaotic. Any application use hers own sound driver. Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, which uses sound device directly. I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace /dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. Old samples http://www.ltn.lv/~aivils/eng-down-mdk91.html startkde copy necessary kcmartsrc into user directory, and so each KDE "display" have sound. Aivils |
|
From: Helge H. <hel...@ai...> - 2005-06-03 09:04:40
|
Aivils wrote: >On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: > > >>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages >>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of >>them >>to a specific X display. How can I do this? >> >>The first sound card is /dev/dsp and the second is /dev/dsp1. I want >>display :0 to use /dev/dsp and display :1 to use /dev/dsp1. >> >>I've tried the instructions available at >>http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/automation_multy_snd-cards.shtml >>but I haven't been able to get them to work with gdm/Gnome. >> >> >Under Linux access to sound subsystem is little chaotic. >Any application use hers own sound driver. > >Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . > >Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs >properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, >which uses sound device directly. >I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace >/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. > > There is a way. One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in the distinct directories have different device numbers and so refer to different sound devices. Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure "dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related files, such as "mixer" and so on. Now the chroot has a customized /dev. But what about all the other directories needed for normal operation, such as /bin, /usr, /var, /home and so on? The answer is to bind-mount them. Bind-mount every top-level directory except /dev into the chroot, and you should be fine. Then chroot into the /chroot directory, and start the second xserver. (Details: man mount, search for "bind") Having all those bind-mounts means you don't have to duplicate a single file (except for the contents of /dev). Both xservers will access the same files, so they should work and the users shouldn't be able to notice the difference. Except that they get distinct soundcards. I use a different approach at home. The machine happens to have two soundcards, but I use only one of them currently. It has a trident chip, and that one support multiple users at the same time so no problems there. The two displays are side by side with the speakers on each side of both of them, so both get correct stereo sound from the same speaker set. Helge Hafting |
|
From: Aivils <ai...@un...> - 2005-06-03 12:36:37
|
On Friday 03 June 2005 12:03, Helge Hafting wrote: > Aivils wrote: > > >On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: > > > > > >>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages > >>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of > >>them > >>to a specific X display. How can I do this? > >> > >>The first sound card is /dev/dsp and the second is /dev/dsp1. I want > >>display :0 to use /dev/dsp and display :1 to use /dev/dsp1. > >> > >>I've tried the instructions available at > >>http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/automation_multy_snd-cards.shtml > >>but I haven't been able to get them to work with gdm/Gnome. > >> > >> > >Under Linux access to sound subsystem is little chaotic. > >Any application use hers own sound driver. > > > >Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . > > > >Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs > >properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, > >which uses sound device directly. > >I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace > >/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. > > > > > There is a way. > One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have > distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in the > distinct directories have different device numbers and so > refer to different sound devices. > Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure > "dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. > > On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to > a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to > do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". > > Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related > files, such as "mixer" and so on. > > > Now the chroot has a customized /dev. But what about all the > other directories needed for normal operation, such as > /bin, /usr, /var, /home and so on? > > The answer is to bind-mount them. Bind-mount every top-level > directory except /dev into the chroot, and you should be fine. > Then chroot into the /chroot directory, and start the second xserver. > (Details: man mount, search for "bind") > > Having all those bind-mounts means you don't have to duplicate > a single file (except for the contents of /dev). Both xservers will > access the same files, so they should work and the users shouldn't > be able to notice the difference. Except that they get distinct soundcards. > > I use a different approach at home. The machine happens to have > two soundcards, but I use only one of them currently. It has a trident > chip, and that one support multiple users at the same time so no > problems there. The two displays are side by side with the speakers > on each side of both of them, so both get correct stereo sound from the > same speaker set. Masterpiece must be an intelligent script for each /dev/input/eventXX /dev/input/mouseXX /dev/sound/dspXX , where devices allways are links to /chroot/XX/dev/input/mouse0 and so on. In case of input devices, device files changed on unplug/plug in. Aivils |
|
From: Helge H. <hel...@ai...> - 2005-06-07 10:02:21
|
Aivils wrote: >On Friday 03 June 2005 12:03, Helge Hafting wrote: > > >>Aivils wrote: >> >> >> >>>On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>> >>>>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages >>>> >>>> >>>>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of >>> >>> >>>>them >>>>to a specific X display. How can I do this? >>>> >>>>The first sound card is /dev/dsp and the second is /dev/dsp1. I want >>>>display :0 to use /dev/dsp and display :1 to use /dev/dsp1. >>>> >>>>I've tried the instructions available at >>>>http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/automation_multy_snd-cards.shtml >>>>but I haven't been able to get them to work with gdm/Gnome. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>Under Linux access to sound subsystem is little chaotic. >>>Any application use hers own sound driver. >>> >>>Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . >>> >>>Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs >>>properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, >>>which uses sound device directly. >>>I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace >>>/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. >>> >>> >>> >>> >>There is a way. >>One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have >>distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in the >>distinct directories have different device numbers and so >>refer to different sound devices. >>Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure >>"dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. >> >>On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to >>a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to >>do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". >> >>Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related >>files, such as "mixer" and so on. >> >> >>Now the chroot has a customized /dev. But what about all the >>other directories needed for normal operation, such as >>/bin, /usr, /var, /home and so on? >> >>The answer is to bind-mount them. Bind-mount every top-level >>directory except /dev into the chroot, and you should be fine. >>Then chroot into the /chroot directory, and start the second xserver. >>(Details: man mount, search for "bind") >> >>Having all those bind-mounts means you don't have to duplicate >>a single file (except for the contents of /dev). Both xservers will >>access the same files, so they should work and the users shouldn't >>be able to notice the difference. Except that they get distinct soundcards. >> >>I use a different approach at home. The machine happens to have >>two soundcards, but I use only one of them currently. It has a trident >>chip, and that one support multiple users at the same time so no >>problems there. The two displays are side by side with the speakers >>on each side of both of them, so both get correct stereo sound from the >>same speaker set. >> >> > >Masterpiece must be an intelligent script for each /dev/input/eventXX >/dev/input/mouseXX /dev/sound/dspXX , where devices allways are links to >/chroot/XX/dev/input/mouse0 and so on. In case of input devices, >device files changed on unplug/plug in. > > There should be no problems with input devices. Each xserver can trivially have a different config file, specifying the correct mouse. It is only the sound devices that need to be different, and only because it is "too hard" getting every sound-using program to use the correct device. If someone actually have a setup where the contents of /dev/input/ _change_ over time, well, just make bind-mount /dev/input over /chroot/dev/input in order to see the same input devices everywhere. Sound devices aren't in /dev/input and can still be different. Helge Hafting |
|
From: Hugo V. <hvw...@ya...> - 2005-06-03 14:48:48
|
--- Helge Hafting <hel...@ai...> wrote: > Aivils wrote: > > >On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: > > > > > >>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian > unstable + the x.org packages > >>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like > to assign each of > >>them > >>to a specific X display. How can I do this? > >> > >>The first sound card is /dev/dsp and the second is > /dev/dsp1. I want > >>display :0 to use /dev/dsp and display :1 to use > /dev/dsp1. > >> > >>I've tried the instructions available at > >>http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/automation_multy_snd-cards.shtml > >>but I haven't been able to get them to work with > gdm/Gnome. > >> > >> > >Under Linux access to sound subsystem is little > chaotic. > >Any application use hers own sound driver. > > > >Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . > > > > >Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or > esd runs > >properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash > Player, > >which uses sound device directly. > >I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace > >/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for > silence. > > > > > There is a way. <snip> Sounds good. Has anybody actually done this? Hugo __________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/ |
|
From: Ken M. <ke...@th...> - 2005-06-05 21:09:03
|
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:03 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote: > Aivils wrote: > > >On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: > > > > > >>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages > >>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of > >>them > >>to a specific X display. How can I do this? > >> <snip> > > > >Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . > > > >Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs > >properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, > >which uses sound device directly. > >I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace > >/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. > > > > > There is a way. > One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have > distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in the > distinct directories have different device numbers and so > refer to different sound devices. > Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure > "dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. > > On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to > a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to > do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". > > Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related > files, such as "mixer" and so on. > > > Now the chroot has a customized /dev. But what about all the > other directories needed for normal operation, such as > /bin, /usr, /var, /home and so on? > > The answer is to bind-mount them. Bind-mount every top-level > directory except /dev into the chroot, and you should be fine. > Then chroot into the /chroot directory, and start the second xserver. > (Details: man mount, search for "bind") > > Having all those bind-mounts means you don't have to duplicate > a single file (except for the contents of /dev). Both xservers will > access the same files, so they should work and the users shouldn't > be able to notice the difference. Except that they get distinct soundcards. > <snip> > Helge Hafting I've played around with artsd and esd a bit more, and have been able to get /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 working, but there are problems. Using esd, you can't use Gnome's 'Enable Sound Server Startup' in the 'Sound Preferences' dialog box as it starts another copy of esd. I haven't been able to find where to set any options for this server (ie use the options I want to start the server). Logging off and on again is problematic, and I've also seen times where my setting for ESPEAKER gets modified. The idea of running the chroot is interesting. But would I need to chroot the xserver only, or parts of Gnome as well? Thanks, Ken |
|
From: Helge H. <hel...@ai...> - 2005-06-07 10:00:44
|
Ken McCord wrote: > On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:03 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote: > >>Aivils wrote: >> >>>On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: >>> >>> >>>>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages >>>>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of >>>>them >>>>to a specific X display. How can I do this? >>>> >> >> ><snip> > > >>> >>>Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . >>> >>>Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs >>>properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, >>>which uses sound device directly. >>>I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace >>>/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. >>> >>> >>There is a way. >>One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have >>distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in the >>distinct directories have different device numbers and so >>refer to different sound devices. >>Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure >>"dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. >> >>On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to >>a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to >>do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". >> >>Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related >>files, such as "mixer" and so on. >> >> >>Now the chroot has a customized /dev. But what about all the >>other directories needed for normal operation, such as >>/bin, /usr, /var, /home and so on? >> >>The answer is to bind-mount them. Bind-mount every top-level >>directory except /dev into the chroot, and you should be fine. >>Then chroot into the /chroot directory, and start the second xserver. >>(Details: man mount, search for "bind") >> >>Having all those bind-mounts means you don't have to duplicate >>a single file (except for the contents of /dev). Both xservers will >>access the same files, so they should work and the users shouldn't >>be able to notice the difference. Except that they get distinct soundcards. >> >> >> ><snip> > > >>Helge Hafting >> >> > > I've played around with artsd and esd a bit more, and have been able > to get /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 working, > but there are problems. Using esd, you can't use Gnome's 'Enable > Sound Server Startup' in the 'Sound Preferences' dialog box as it > starts another copy of esd. I haven't been able to find where to set > any options for this server (ie use the options I want to start the > server). Logging off and on again is problematic, and I've also seen > times where my setting for ESPEAKER gets modified. > > The idea of running the chroot is interesting. But would I need to > chroot the xserver only, or parts of Gnome as well? You need to run anything that might use sound in the chroot. Thinking some more about it, the xserver itself is perhaps the one thing that won't need the chroot. (And neither will other server software, such as webserver, printer software and so on.) What you need to run in the chroot, is the stuff that controls the session and launch all other programs. That is, the window manager or whatever you use for starting your programs. If you're using xdm/gdm/ or kdm, run the instance that controls the "other" display in the chroot. Everything it starts up will then run in the chroot too, so it'll work no matter _who_ logs in. Note that chrooting "everything" isn't hard when you use bind mounts that gives you alle the same directories inside the chroot as outside, with the one exception for /dev. Everything should work the same way inside the chroot as outside. This chroot is not made for isolating software (as usually is the purpose of chroot) but to present the apps with a different /dev. Helge Hafting |
|
From: Ken M. <ke...@th...> - 2005-06-07 02:52:52
|
On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 17:05 -0400, Ken McCord wrote: > On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:03 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote: > > > Aivils wrote: > > > > >On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: > > > > > > > > >>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org packages > > >>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each of > > >>them > > >>to a specific X display. How can I do this? > > >> > > <snip> > > > > > > >Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME . > > > > > >Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs > > >properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, > > >which uses sound device directly. > > >I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace > > >/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. > > > > > > > > There is a way. > > One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have > > distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in the > > distinct directories have different device numbers and so > > refer to different sound devices. > > Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure > > "dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. > > > > On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to > > a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to > > do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". > > > > Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related > > files, such as "mixer" and so on. > > > > <snip> > > > > <snip> > > > Helge Hafting > > > I've played around with artsd and esd a bit more, and have been able > to get /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 working, > but there are problems. Using esd, you can't use Gnome's 'Enable > Sound Server Startup' in the 'Sound Preferences' dialog box as it > starts another copy of esd. I haven't been able to find where to set > any options for this server (ie use the options I want to start the > server). Logging off and on again is problematic, and I've also seen > times where my setting for ESPEAKER gets modified. > > The idea of running the chroot is interesting. But would I need to > chroot the xserver only, or parts of Gnome as well? > > Thanks, > > Ken Never mind. I've been able to set up the chroot environment, and actually get the /dev/dsp files working correctly. I was going down the wrong path at first, trying to start X in the chroot environment with using -indirect or -query. That just gave me the same /dev structure I didn't want. Removing that from the startx command did the trick. I still need to clean up the setup, the interface with gdm and getting it to start automagically on boot, but it looks promising. Thanks, Ken |
|
From: Observer <obs...@mo...> - 2005-06-11 22:29:27
|
I think a chroot is a very complicated solution Im using alsa to get separated sound even from a single sound card, alsa alone has all to accomplish this. You must use dmix, aoss and a good config for it, this days even esd has support for alsa, gnome has direct support for alsa without using esd, artsd has support for alsa, and for programs using oss there is aoss. Im still having problems with apps that require mmaped sound access (like quake), they work but sound strange, i think thats already solved by alsa but the one i have is too old. El lun, 06-06-2005 a las 21:52, Ken McCord escribi=C3=B3: > On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 17:05 -0400, Ken McCord wrote: > > On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:03 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:=20 > > > Aivils wrote: > > >=20 > > > >On Thursday 02 June 2005 04:27, Ken McCord wrote: > > > > =20 > > > > > > > >>I'm running a dual-head setup using Debian unstable + the x.org p= ackages > > > >>from Ubuntu. I have two sound cards, and I'd like to assign each= of > > > >>them > > > >>to a specific X display. How can I do this? > > > >> > > <snip> > > > > > > > >Try out set up artsd under KDE or esd under GNOME .=20 > > > > > > > >Even if these software sound mixers like artsd or esd runs > > > >properly, then You cannot disable Java and Flash Player, > > > >which uses sound device directly. > > > >I open Java binary with hexedit and manulay replace > > > >/dev/dsp with fake non-existing device file for silence. > > > > =20 > > > > > > > There is a way. > > > One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have > > > distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in th= e > > > distinct directories have different device numbers and so > > > refer to different sound devices. > > > Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure > > > "dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. > > >=20 > > > On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to > > > a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to > > > do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". > > >=20 > > > Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related > > > files, such as "mixer" and so on. > > >=20 > > >=20 > <snip>=20 > > <snip> > > > Helge Hafting > >=20 > > I've played around with artsd and esd a bit more, and have been able > > to get /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 working, > > but there are problems. Using esd, you can't use Gnome's 'Enable > > Sound Server Startup' in the 'Sound Preferences' dialog box as it > > starts another copy of esd. I haven't been able to find where to > > set any options for this server (ie use the options I want to start > > the server). Logging off and on again is problematic, and I've also > > seen times where my setting for ESPEAKER gets modified. > >=20 > > The idea of running the chroot is interesting. But would I need to > > chroot the xserver only, or parts of Gnome as well? > >=20 > > Thanks, > >=20 > > Ken >=20 > Never mind. I've been able to set up the chroot environment, and > actually get the /dev/dsp files working correctly. I was going down > the wrong path at first, trying to start X in the chroot environment > with using -indirect or -query. That just gave me the same /dev > structure I didn't want. Removing that from the startx command did > the trick. >=20 > I still need to clean up the setup, the interface with gdm and getting > it to start automagically on boot, but it looks promising. >=20 > Thanks, >=20 > Ken |
|
From: Arne G. G. <ar...@li...> - 2005-06-07 13:25:23
|
* Helge Hafting > There is a way. > One xserver can run in its own chroot. The two servers can have > distinct /dev directories that way, where the two "dsp" files in the > distinct directories have different device numbers and so > refer to different sound devices. > Make a copy of /dev in /chroot/dev. In there, make sure > "dsp" refers to the second soundcard instead of the first. > > On a debian system "dsp" is a symlink to "dsp0". Change it to > a link to "dsp1" instead. On other systems you may have to > do something like "mv dsp1 dsp0". > > Whatever the solution is, do the same for all other sound-related > files, such as "mixer" and so on. > > > Now the chroot has a customized /dev. But what about all the > other directories needed for normal operation, such as > /bin, /usr, /var, /home and so on? > > The answer is to bind-mount them. Bind-mount every top-level > directory except /dev into the chroot, and you should be fine. > Then chroot into the /chroot directory, and start the second xserver. > (Details: man mount, search for "bind") Using chroot for this seems a bit excessive to me. I'd suggest running the X-servers in separate namespaces (see bottom of http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-6.html) and then use bind mount on a device node level to customize the different namespaces. Arne. |