i can't compile

2004-11-21
2012-12-12
  • Luis Miguel

Luis Miguel - 2004-11-21

Hello, I'm using debian and I installed succesfully libgnomeprint2.0 pacakges but when I run make I get several errros like:

--------
    main.c: En la funcin `check_params':
    main.c:61: error: `EOF' undeclared (first use in this function)
    main.c:61: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    main.c:61: error: for each function it appears in.)
    main.c: En la funcin `main':
    main.c:96: error: `LIBGNOMEUI_MODULE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    main.c:98: error: `GNOME_PARAM_APP_DATADIR' undeclared (first use in this function)
    main.c:99: error: `NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lama/linsmith-0.8.1/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lama/linsmith-0.8.1'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

-----------

Can anyone help me?

• John Coppens

John Coppens - 2004-11-22

Hello Luis Miguel

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I have been looking for that type of error, but I cannot explain it. I think you may have an old version of the C libraries. Could you tell me you distribution, gcc, glibc verions?

Could you try to add

#include <stdio.h>

at the beginning of the main.c file?

John

• Luis Miguel

Luis Miguel - 2004-11-22

Hello John,

including <stdio.h> resolved some errors (p.e. EOF undeclared) but the others one didn't. Finally, I compiled successfully linSmith in other linux box. I think the problem is I haven't installed libgnome-dev package, but I actually can't install it because of dependences errors.

Conglaturations for this great project! I am in a forth course of Telecomunication Engineering at the Polythecnic University of Cartagena, Spain, and I am studing Transmission lines in a subject named 'Transmission over physics medium'.  We use in class, a propietary-commercial software named "Automated Smith Chart v4.0". At home, I prefer free software and linSmith. Perhaps anyday University choose free software against commercial.  I animate to you to continue developing this project.

Luis Miguel.

• John Coppens

John Coppens - 2004-11-22

Hi Luis Miguel.

Thanks for the kind words. You should _not_ need the development libraries. If I'm not mistaken, LIBGNOMEUI_MODULE should be defined in gnome-ui-init.h,
          This is located in
            $PREFIX/gnome/include/libgnomeui-2.0/libgnomeui

This is installed with the libgnomeui package.

A similar path leads to the other undefined. I suspect the path to you /include directory is not standard, and does not get searched completely.

If you like - and have some time - I would like to know the problem, and if I can, try to avoid it in the future. Maybe I should add a test to ./configure.

Thanks for reporting, and keep up the Linux publicity!
          I use Linux exclusively to teach at the University here.

John