image problem (they don't appear)

lewinb
2004-03-18
2004-03-21
  • lewinb
    lewinb
    2004-03-18

Vorwort: Wenn es besser wre, diese auf deutsch zu tippen, kann ich das tun... sag es nur! :)

I am having a major problem with images, and I think I may have found the reason. I am hoping that someone can confirm this. 95% of my images are tiffs, taken with a Minolta 7i camera. they were imported using iPhoto. I have tried using a number of automatic gallery packages, but like linpha the best (by far!). My images have worked only sporadically at best, in any of the packages. 99% of the time, either no thumbnail will show up, but I can not access the full-size image, or vice versa. I have taken a closer look at some of the images, and it seems that many actually have TWO pages... They have they regular image, and an embedded preview. I am assuming that this is something that the camera does automatically. I never would have seen this, if I hadn't dropped the image on os X's Preview app. Is it possible that this could be causing none of the images to appear? If you look at the images in the gallery, it will show all the exif info, but not the image.
    At first I thought that this was a result of having my photo albums on another volume, or the use of aliases. But in my case, is *seems* that the aliases are working fine. I symlinked my Iphoto Albums folder into the linpha albums folder. the alias are in iPhoto's Albums folder, going to the real images. BUT, since linpha can access the exif data for all the images, I don't think that is the problem... If it weren't able to follow the aliases, it couldn't retrieve the exif data.

You can view this at:
    http://lewinb.dyndns.org/linpha

Please help!!! I'm about to pull my hair out due to frustration!

• lewinb
      lewinb
      2004-03-18

I ran identify on one of the images, and here are the results:

[Bruce-Lewins-Computer:~] lewinb% identify -verbose /Volumes/38\ GB\ Disk/myPhoto/iPhoto\ Library/2003/01/17/PICT0007.TIF
      TIFF Directory at offset 0x8
        Image Width: 1600 Image Length: 1142
        Resolution: 72, 72 pixels/inch
        Bits/Sample: 8
        Compression Scheme: None
        Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
        Date & Time: "2003:01:23 02:53:34"
        Host Computer: "Mac OS X 10.2.3"
        Image Description: "DCF 1.0"
        Make: "Minolta Co., Ltd."
        Model: "DiMAGE 7i"
        Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
        Samples/Pixel: 3
        Rows/Strip: 1
        Planar Configuration: single image plane
        Software: QuickTime 6.1
        Tag 34665: 9522
      TIFF Directory at offset 0x5638
        Subfile Type: reduced-resolution image (1 = 0x1)
        Image Width: 160 Image Length: 114
        Resolution: 72, 72 pixels/inch
        Bits/Sample: 8
        Compression Scheme: None
        Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
        Samples/Pixel: 3
        Rows/Strip: 17
        Planar Configuration: single image plane
      Image: /Volumes/38 GB Disk/myPhoto/iPhoto Library/2003/01/17/PICT0007.TIF
        Format: TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
        Geometry: 1600x1142
        Class: DirectClass
        Type: true color
        Depth: 8 bits-per-pixel component
        Colors: 346882
        Resolution: 72x72 pixels/inch
        Filesize: 5.3mb
        Interlace: None
        Background Color: grey100
        Border Color: #DFDFDF
        Matte Color: grey74
        Dispose: Undefined
        Iterations: 0
        Scene: 0 of 2
        Compression: None
        timestamp: 2003:01:23 02:53:34
        software: QuickTime 6.1
        make: Minolta Co., Ltd.
        model: DiMAGE 7i
        comment: DCF 1.0
        signature: f9d63b6f35d6d9a5f12969b41198d0c172114bcc649a5cdb171596697ae6ce10
        Tainted: False
        User Time: 0.360u
        Elapsed Time: 0:01
      Image: /Volumes/38 GB Disk/myPhoto/iPhoto Library/2003/01/17/PICT0007.TIF
        Format: TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
        Geometry: 160x114
        Class: DirectClass
        Type: true color
        Depth: 8 bits-per-pixel component
        Colors: 10848
        Resolution: 72x72 pixels/inch
        Filesize: 5.3mb
        Interlace: None
        Background Color: grey100
        Border Color: #DFDFDF
        Matte Color: grey74
        Dispose: Undefined
        Iterations: 0
        Scene: 1 of 2
        Compression: None
        signature: 2ed4f5425606c6e4a16ef1556d5641a66f62d767c4eedbacecfcdeaa83ce171e
        Tainted: False
        User Time: 7.610u
        Elapsed Time: 0:09
      identify: /Volumes/38 GB Disk/myPhoto/iPhoto Library/2003/01/17/PICT0007.TIF: unknown field with tag 34665 (0x8769) encountered. (TIFFReadDirectory).
      [Bruce-Lewins-Computer:~] lewinb%

• try to convert this image by "hand"

type in the console: 'convert PICT0007.TIF test.jpg'
        if this doesn't work, we can't do much

but if this works, it is maybe because of the image size
        we have memory limits and a timeout limit in php

• lewinb
          lewinb
          2004-03-18

I tried this, and I'm not sure what to make of the results. I installed all the image support that was indicated in the imagemagick and linpha readme, so I don't see why it's saying this:

[Bruce-Lewins-Computer:~] lewinb% convert /Users/lewinb/Desktop/PICT0007.TIF test.jpg
          convert: No encode delegate for this image format (test.jpg).
          convert: No encode delegate for this image format (test.jpg) [No such file or directory].
          convert: No encode delegate for this image format (test.jpg).
          [Bruce-Lewins-Computer:~] lewinb%

As a side note, I have already nearly tripled both the timeout and max memory limit in php.ini

• lewinb
            lewinb
            2004-03-18

Could this be what imagemagick refers to as a PTIF (Pyramid tiff)?

They describe it as:
            "Multi-resolution TIFF containing successively smaller versions of the image down to the size of an icon. The desired sub-image size may be specified when reading via the -size option."

That seems to fit the description, since one page is full-size, adn the other is the size of a preview.

• this says that convert doesn't work with your images (if i'm right..)

try to get the latest version of imagemagick (there is also a version 6 beta)

btw. can't you turn on 'jpg compression' on your camera?

• lewinb
              lewinb
              2004-03-21

I don't want to. I bought my camera as a *replacement* for my 35mm camera. Hence, it would somewhat defeat my purpose by storing images in jpeg format, an inherently "lossy" format. I actually have prints made of many of my pictures, and I want them to look as good as if they were from a film camera. SO, for that reason jpeg is an option that I won't consider. Also, my camera won't save as jpeg in a size that's big enough to make even 5x7s of.

• lewinb
      lewinb
      2004-03-19

just to rule out other things, I put two new folders in the images folder: One, of pictures actually located there (ie, not symlinked); and one of pictures saved by photoshop, a jpeg recorded by an old HP Photosmart, and a jpeg recorded by a (really) old Kodak DC10 (but probably edited in photoshop). While linpha was able to read the hp photosmart jpeg, it was not able to create a thumb for *any* of them.
      hmmmm. :-/

bruce

• Hi lewinb,
      I had a few minutes ago the same problem. First I check with CocoaMySQL my database. Because there is in the admin area no place to change the settings from GD to ImageMagick, I did this in the config table of MySQL. In the config table check if row 16 shows you "1". If not, put it in there. Leave CocoaMySQL. I had ImageMagick from Marc Liyanage before, but with my update to Mac OS X 10.3.3 I lost something. So, I downloaded the package again from http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/#imagemagick

After then I tried to convert a 1.3 mpixel TIF-file to jpg (remember to request convert in the right path /usr/local/bin/ and call convert with a trailing point "./convert". For me now it worked in the command line.

I switched back to linpha and uploaded this 1.3 mpix TIFF to linpha and now it works. Try it.

• lewinb
        lewinb
        2004-03-20

I looked at it in cocoamysql, and it does say 1 in row 16.

• Did you install ImageMagick again? That in case was the really problem. As I looked around in terminal and tried a locate of convert, for me I had a bad symlink to an older convert path. I removed this. I installed ImageMagick again and after then I could use the tiff conversion with linpha.

Adrian

• Did you install ImageMagick again? That in case was the really problem. As I looked around in terminal and tried a locate for convert, for me I had a bad symlink to an older convert path. I removed this. I installed ImageMagick again and after then I could use the tiff conversion with linpha.

Adrian

• lewinb
        lewinb
        2004-03-21

I did install ImageMagick again, but I checked, and convert is indeed in /usr/local/bin, where, as far as I know, it should be. There is no symlink.