Menu

Socket: Operation not permitted

2018-03-09
2018-03-16
  • Michel Landry

Michel Landry - 2018-03-09

Hello,

I'm not sure where to start looking to resolve the issue generating the error. I've looked at many startup and config files (there are many that are different out there) but nothing seems out. Could someone point me in the right direction.

AX.25 and LinPac come up and stay up. The "Socket: Operation not permitted" error appears in LinPac's bottom window.

My environment:
    Raspbian (jessie) for x86 running on Pentium II
    PK-232MBX TNC in KISS mode
    LinPac version 0.25 (Jan 13 2018)

Thank you,
    Mitch
    VE9JFL

Last edit: Michel Landry 2018-03-16
    • Steven R. Loomis

David, is this group different from linux-hams on vger.kernel.org?

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Michel Landry landry@users.sourceforge.net
      wrote:

Hello,

I'm not sure where to start looking to resolve the issue generating the
      error. I've looked at many startup and config files (there are many that
      are different out there) but nothing seems out. Could someone point me in
      the right direction.

AX.25 and LinPac come up and stay up. The "Socket: Operation not
      permitted" error appears in LinPac's bottom window.

My environment:
      Raspbian (Stretch) for x86 running on Pentium II
      PK-232MBX TNC in KISS mode
      LinPac version 0.25 (Jan 13 2018)

Thank you,
      Mitch
      VE9JFL

Socket: Operation not permitted

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in <
      https://sourceforge.net/p/linpac/discussion/54078/>

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit <
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/>

• David Ranch

David Ranch - 2018-03-16

Hello Steven,

Yes, it is different. It's a list that is primarily focused on Fldigi for Linux but lots of other good conversations are allowed there. I prefer to keep some level of AX.25 traffic on that list in the hopes other HAMs will give it a try!

--David

• David Ranch

David Ranch - 2018-03-10

Hello Michael,

I bet the "Socket: Operation not permitted" is due to axlisten not running as the root user (occurs when Linpac is also not run as the root user). You can resolve this axlisten-centric issue either by (in order of preference): a) install ax25spyd which is designed to resolve this security issue, b) make the axlisten executable SUID root or c) run Linpac as root.

See http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#10a.ax25-ax25spyd for more details.

--David

• Michel Landry

Michel Landry - 2018-03-16

Thank you David,

I've taken a step forward. I believe you are right about the initial error being caused by axlisten not running as root.

FYI on installing ax25spyd. After applying the patch, the first time I ran ./configure it complained that it wasn't finding "libax25.a". The error message indicated to install the "ax25-utils-devel" package. I couldn't find that package but did find "libax25-dev" which solved the problem.

When ax25spyd starts, it complains that it "failed to bind server socket" although it continues to run. LinPac starts up with no errors, the "Socket: Operation not permitted" is gone but it doesn't talk to my TNC.

I suspect I don't have AX.25 configured correctly. Any suggestions as to where I should look?

PS: I haven't yet rebuilt my AX.25 stack using VE7FET's code.

Thanks again,
    Mitch

• Michel Landry

Michel Landry - 2018-03-16

Thank you David,

Your help is much appreciated. I've already stolen some ideas from your scripts.

I will subscribe to the linuxham group.

Michel