Menu

AX25 Directory Error

2020-06-15
2020-06-18
  • Sean McClanahan

Sean McClanahan - 2020-06-15

Greetings -

I am attempting to use the version of LinPac that is included with the distribution of "Andy's Ham Radio Linux". (This is an Ubuntu distribution.) Let me start by saying I'm a bit of a Linux neophyte, so please bear with me.

When I start LinPac for the first time, it walks me through the configuration questions. (I run it with root privileges, because doing so without using sudo caused the installation to fail.) After installation, I get the "Hit enter to run LinPac" prompt. When I do, LinPac errors out saying that it cannot open /etc/ax25/axports - No such file or directory exists. I manually created the /etc/ax25 directory, but obviously, there's something missing in there.

Do I need to install something to make AX25 work and create the necessary files to get LinPac to work?

Thank you!

Sean - K0MSM

• David Ranch

David Ranch - 2020-06-16

Per the Linpac documentation, you MUST have a fully configured Linux's AX.25 stack working with say axcall, beacon, etc. before Linpac is functional. Consider reading my Raspberry Pi documentation which should mostly apply to the Andy HamRadio CD:

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/rpi4-setup.html#25.configure-ax25

Also, do you know what version of Linpac comes in the Andy's HamRadio CD? If it's not properly packaged (I don' t think it is), try running:

strings linpac | grep -i -B1 -A1 "linpac version"

You really need to build up a new copy of Linpac from the "Develop" branch (my docs above covers this)

--David

• Sean McClanahan

Sean McClanahan - 2020-06-18

Hi David, thank you for the reply.

I will take a look at the doc you referenced, and follow that information.

I tried running the strings command you suggested, and that did not work. My response was:

strings: 'linpac' : No such file

Sean - K0MSM

• David Ranch

David Ranch - 2020-06-18

Sorry.. should have given you a full path:

strings /usr/libexec/linpac/linpac | grep -i -B1 -A1 "linpac version"

If that's not where your linpac binary is, you need to find it and put it into that path. Regardless, I imagine you are running an old version and you should build a new version using the "develop" branch per the documentation.