odbc struggle

2006-12-20
2013-05-20
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I have made frequent attempts and followed what few guides suggest how to connect iodbc to maxdb, and it just is not working.
    Is there any support for the maxdb-php extension?
    this would increase performance I think.

• Gregory BOYER

Gregory BOYER - 2006-12-20

Hello,

Currently, LIMBAS is using the ODBC interface from MaxDB. This interface is a kind of ODBC, in the way that it is providing ODBC syntaxe but it is direct native connection.
      The iODBC is a real ODBC level with a MaxDB driver. I have never made any  performance test between those 2, but I am barely sure the native ODBC from MaxDB will be much faster.

Quote from php.net:
      "Note:  There is no ODBC involved when connecting to the above databases. The functions that you use to speak natively to them just happen to share the same names and syntax as the ODBC functions. The exception to this is iODBC. Building PHP with iODBC support enables you to use any ODBC-compliant drivers with your PHP applications. iODBC is maintained by  OpenLink Software. More information on iODBC, as well as a HOWTO, is available at www.iodbc.org."

If any one had made test to compare the performance of those 2 connection, I would be glad to see it.

Concerning performance, anyhow I can guarantee you that LIMBAS is really performant (I do not say that it could not be faster...), we have customers using million of records in tables, and it is working really quickly. In order to have good performance it is really important to tune well the database, running the optimizer in the admin console, make a huge improvement...

If you are experiencing performance probleme you can request us support for that, with some explanation.

Best regards
      Gregory BOYER

• Nobody/Anonymous

My problem is that I cannot get iodbc to even connect to Maxdb. and the Maxdb-odbc driver at the Mysql site is only available for the MS platform.

• Gregory BOYER

Gregory BOYER - 2006-12-20

oK I understnatd what you mean now. But that easier as you think.
      Any how is only working on Linux environment, and without the iODBC.
      The ODBC driver from MaxDB that you are talking about is the real ODBC driver for windows, and can not, as you say, be installed on Linux.
      BUt on the download section from the server itself you have a download of ODBC/JDBC as one package for linux. This is this one that you need.

If you do not find it just write me an email (gregory.boyer@limbas.com)
      Best regards
      Gregory BOYER