Menu

Integration with ]project-open[?

2012-03-08
2012-11-26
  • Frank Bergmann

Frank Bergmann - 2012-03-08

Hola Chicos,

Un proyecto muy impresionante. Finally a serious competitor to M$-Project (GanttProject isn't really that great and OpenProj apparently stopped development etc.).

I'm representing ]project-open[ (http://sourceforge.net/projects/project-open) here. ]po[ is a project management application with strong Finance, Collaboration etc, but without a GUI front-end for editing project schedules. We have been looking for such a system since ages, but didn't find anything, so we integrated with the client applications. But an integration with LibrePlan would solve this issue.

I've checked your Wiki entry about Web-services, and I've seen that there are scripts for importing and exporting XML representations of your data.
    However, I believe that we would need a near real-time integration in order to make ]po[ users happy. Did you do such an integration in the past?

Bests,
    Frank

• Jeroen Baten

Jeroen Baten - 2012-03-08

You forgot to mention that it is written in TCL and is extremely hard to install, even for experienced sys-admins :-)

• Javier Morán Rúa

Hi Frank,

I am a LibrePlan team member.

First of all, thanks for your kind words about LibrePlan. Really, it is part of our mission to evolve as much as possible LibrePlan to have a full alternative  to MS-Project completely free software. This, without resigning from our particular own values which makes us different, as our web rich interface.

In my particular case, I already knew ]project-openproject-open[ covers.

Let's go now with your particular question.

If ]project-open[ is lacking of a planning engine with a web interface, I think that,  LibrePlan can be a good option. Besides, on being both applications web based, the integration can result very good. I also think that maybe, at least inside the free software, our web planning engine can be the best one at this moment.

Regarding to the way to do an integration between ]project-open[ and LibrePlan, this would have to be studied more carefully. The web services are an option, but, probably the current ones developed are not enough and if you are mentioning real-time probably the integration has to be bidirectional and work must be done in both applications. We have not done an integration as the one you are presented so far. The web services developed are to import/export data to other software like an ERP. For instance:

- To import the time tracked by workers and stored in another application in LibrePlan to see it in the planning.
       - To import the WBS structure of projects existent in a ERP in LibrePlan be planned.

Currently, the LibrePlan community has the priorities listed in our roadmap  and, therefore, at least in the short term,  we could not work in the line of integrating LibrePlan with ]project-open[

In any case, if you finally decide to use LibrePlan as the ]po[ planning engine, and you need help by our side, professional services are offered. You can write an e-mail to info@libreplan.com in this case.

https://wiki.libreplan.org/twiki/bin/view/LibrePlan/RoadMap

• Frank Bergmann

Frank Bergmann - 2012-03-19

Hi,

> extremely hard to install

Correct, installing a system with many dependencies on other open-source packages isn't easy. That's why we provide the CentOS VMware appliance and the Windows installers…

> roadmap

I perfectly understand your point, we also don't usually deviate from our roadmap. However, this means that an integration of the two systems is unlikely, at least in the next few months.
    However, I believe that a unidirectional interface (LibrePlan -> ]po[) for project information would be sufficient. Both systems can import user information from LDAP.

One question: The demo appeared to be somehow slow on my system, I'm not sure if it was due to the server or due to my system (Chrome on Windows). Any recommendations?

I see you're located in Galicia. That's a bit far away to have a beer together, but please let us know if you guys are around in Barcelona the next time, both techies (in order to talk about the integration and open-source fun in general) and business types (I think the two products don't compete at all, and there might be opportunities for cross-selling). Are you going to be again on FOSDEM this year? Perhaps we can also find a moment to talk about psychology and the mind…

Un saludo cordial,
    Frank