Menu

postgresql vs mysql database and your project

2003-08-21
2003-11-20
  • Clifford Baeseman

I run both postgresql and mysql in enterprise level mission critical applications under heavy load. I do like the postgresql functionality but I have had major problems with scalability and availability.

The worst issue is needing to run vacuum on the databases.  The database performance quickly degrades while in use unless this vacuum procedure is performed. In most cases to get a vacuum to actually run you need to down the database (disconnect everyone and lock them out) then run it while no one is connected. Having to bring down a database because it has slowed to a crawl and or a vacuum failing because users are connected just sucks.

The other problem is performance related. The postgresql database has no where near the performance and efficiency as mysql. I have a system that is not doing anything special and with just 50 connected users it just hammers the machine resources.

In my opinion you cannot go wrong staying with mysql (faster,less maintenance, more efficient).

Now flame away but I talk from experience.

• Tom Adelstein

Tom Adelstein - 2003-08-24

Clifford

I see no reason to flame. In fact, as moderator I will delete any flames on this group.

You information is greatly appreciates and will be utilized by the project team.

• Dejan Kocic

Dejan Kocic - 2003-11-10

Is not about flames, but what was the idea to base project on Perl or Python and not to use Java?

• Matthew Schick

Matthew Schick - 2003-11-20

Because Perl and PHP are very widely used in the web app world, we would have been remiss in not including these.  Python is included since we will be basing all the backend scripting needed on it.  Java will be included as a module in the near future...