Menu

MathyResurrected - Mathy like for Launchy2

2009-08-11
2013-05-29
<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)
  • Amadawn

Amadawn - 2010-06-09

This is very cool! It works very well and it is very easy to use and configure. I also love the new icon and the way you show the type of output by appending .hex or .bin to the result details.

Even if you do not implement my request #3, it would be great to have a way to perform and, or not and xor operations. If you did, would you use functions (e.g. and(a,b), etc) or operators (e.g. &, I, !)?

I would really love to see this plugin become the built-in Launchy calculator. I think that you should talk to Josh and or Simon to discuss the possibility, since this is way more capable than the original plugin!

Thanks for the update. It is great!

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-06-10

Version v0.1.3 is out. As usual, you can get it on http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathyresurected/.

This is a bugfix release. It is advised to download ASAP because in some cases MathyResurrected could crash Launchy. Sorry for that.

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-06-10

Version v0.1.4 is out. As usual, you can get it on http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathyresurected/.

Another bugfix release. This time it was discovered that binary input was not properly converted. This resulted with erroneous calculations.

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-06-11

v0.1.5, available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathyresurected/

Implemented bitwise functions: AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NOR, XNOR, added calculation bit width option.

Enjoy :-)

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-06-13

v0.1.6, available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathyresurected/

+ Added bitwise operators: AND, OR, XOR, bit shift left and right
    + Adeed bit shift functions: shr(x,y) and shl(x,y)
    + Added option to show leading zeroes in hex and binary output.

This version finalizes a busy weekend and planed support for bitwise operations. As usual, any comments, ideas and critics are welcome. Enjoy the plugin… :-)

• Amadawn

Amadawn - 2010-06-14

elgrunon,

this works very well. Thanks a lot!
    One little issue that I've found is that sometimes the "hex" results appear first for no apparent reason. For example, if I type "3-1+sin(3)" I get 0x2.math.hex as the first result, and 2.14.math.dec as the second.

What algorithm do you use to select which result should go first?

Also, I have a question: Is there a difference between the &, and I operators and the corresponding "and" and "or" functions? Also, what is the symbol for the xor operator? It looks like a little "x"… Is it some sort of special character?

Thanks!!! You have turned launchy into a really cool programmers calculator! :-D

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-06-14

Little issue you see is actually a feature :-) Plugins are, by design, not allowed to sort results in Launchy's dropdown list. The only thing plugin is allowed to do is to create a result line(s) and hand them to Launchy. Thus, I have no way to move results up or down…

About bitwise functions and operators… No, there should be absolute no difference in results they return: if you find one it is a bug…

xor character… well, it should have been lowercase x… instead I've experimented with Unicode U+00D7 character which seems kinda cool to be used for this operator except it isn't probably easy to use on keyboards different than mine. I'll make it to be both: lowercase x and this character in future release….

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-07-06

Hi elgrunon !

First let me thank you once again for creating MR… a spectacular and brilliant addition to Launchy.  Since I last posted here, I am still enjoying it immensely and greatly appreciative of all the hard work and TLC you have put into this work of art.

Hope I have not embarrassed you too much! :D

I have another feature suggestion that would be of great value to me and perhaps other users as well… unit conversions.

Here are some thoughts and possible examples off the top of my head.

1. Sample conversion syntax:

|fc 387

meaning

Return 387 degrees Fahrenheit in degrees Centigrade (the first character is a pipe denoting that it is a conversion… just a suggestion.)

2. There could be a pop up table available showing units and their abbreviations e.g. f= Degrees Fahrenheit and c= Degrees Centigrade

That's basically it.  But easier for me to say than for you to do I am sure!!

If it's possible, it would be UBER useful for me.

Either way… thank you once again for your excellent work!  I use it every day!! :D

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-07-06

Continued…

I understand that the "pop up" list is not part of the plugin functionality.  So I guess the only way to handle that part is to have a separate list of the abbreviations in the mathy package… perhaps as a text file.

Thanks again for considering this! :D

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-07-06

I 'm currently embarrassed to much to speak :-)

Anyway, it could be done, it probably will be done, but don't know exactly when. Thanks for your suggestion, watch this thread and official page and you'll see it when it happens…

Oh, yes, in the meanwhile, there is already conversion using SI prefixes, which gives you option to work with SI units… I know it's not full unit converter, but I'm mentioning it just in case you didn't know it existed… Anyway, see README for details about this (if you haven't already)…

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-07-07

Thanks elgrunon!

I understand there is a lot of work invloved in implementing my request.  I appreciate your even considering it.  If you can actually get to it when you have a chance that would be spectacular!  I'll check in now and then as you suggested.

I was not aware of the SI prefixes/units feature, but will certainly take a look in the meantime.

Thanks again! :D

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-07-07

SI units conversion is very nice!  I can definitely make use of that too.  I love the compact and natural syntax.

I'm not sure if the syntax I suggested for unit conversions is the best or most compact possible.  I figure the pipe (or equivalent) will be needed to keep it from interfering with things like the SI conversions…but maybe not depending on how you implement it.  If you can think of something better, please feel free!  You know much more about it than I do. :D

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-09-03

New version is out. Mainly some changes related to bitwise functions: they have been replaced by operators completely, resulting in less typing for the same thing. For example, you can't write "nand(x,y)" anymore, but you can use "x nand y" saving you the hassle from typing parentheses and coma :-) Some bitwise operators have changed their symbols (xor, not). It is now possible to enter percentage expressions. And of course, small fixes and irrelevant changes as usuall :-D :-D :-D Enjoy…

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-09-05

Thanks elgrunon!  Nice improvements! :-D

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-09-06

There seems to be a bug after your calculations reach a certain size. Using the latest versions of Mathy resurrected and Launchy:

Input: 10^22
    Output: 10 000 000 000 000 000 000 000.00

Input: 10^23
    Output: 99 999 999 999 999 991 611 392.00

Input: 10^24
    Output: 999 999 999 999 999 983 222 784.00

So it seems to actually handle numbers of this size, it just starts to introduce small errors that compound a bit..

Not that this is a huge problem, but when you're reading scientific articles about molecular amounts etc. you come across values where you would like to compare the numbers, and you need to be able to know they are about right.. :)

No biggie, but worth checking out.

Otherwise, thanks for a great plugin!

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-09-06

Thanks for your report.

MathyResurrected currently uses standard C/C++ math library which has no mechanisms to overcome this kind of problems. I'm planing to switch to some specialized math library. This will certainly not happen before v0.2.0 partly because that kind of change would require a bit more time  to do it, than I have right now, and partly because I'm still researching on the subject. On the other hand, I myself would like to see it happen before the end of the year, so it probably will…

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-09-06

Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't know how to go about fixing this with standard libraries, but if you use .Net 4.0 (which I guess is not an option), you could use the new System.Numerics.BigInteger class. Should be fine for this. :)

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-09-07

No, .Net is not an option because MathyResurrected is written in C++, but thanks for the tip. :-D

Anyway, I've found all the necessary libraries, just need to study them and  integrate into MathyResurrected. It will take time, which I currently have very little to spare. Thus, monitor this thread and / or official project page, and you will know when it happens… Enjoy…

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-09-08

I do finance, not molecular physics or astronomy.

With or without the bug, sure WISH I had numbers that big! :D

• Romain

Romain - 2010-09-28

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how percentages work within MathyResurected
    looking for =1500-15% -> 1275
    I have =1500-15% -> 1 499,85 instead…

Is there anything I missed ?

Thanks for your help

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-09-28

As I understand, you want to find difference between 1500 and 15% of 1500? Well, if that's the case, then you need to enter expression like this:

1500-15%*1500

Expression "1500-15%" is equal to:

1500 - 15/100 = 1499.85

HTH

• Romain

Romain - 2010-09-29

Thx for your answer.
    You are right in your math expression.
    I was just trying to use MathyResurected like any desk calculator where you can type in "1500-15%" and get 1275
    I find it a bit surprising that you will use the % sign just to divide by 100…

• Tomislav Adamic

Tomislav Adamic - 2010-09-29

Actually, that wouldn't be any desk calculator. For example, one of mines would require typing "1500*15%-" to get result equivalent to "1500-15%*1500" An not only that, typing "1500-15%" gives you some bizare number as result. :-)

My point being: some other calculator wouldn't probably give same result for this sequence ("1500*15%-") of keys. On the other hand, all calculators that I've ever used in my life understand "1500-15%*1500" and what is more important give same result for that expression.

The way it is now, usability of percentage expressions is probably reduced, so I might consider doing something about it in some time in the future… We'll see…

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-09-30

I'm not even going to ask if there is any progress on unit conversions because it would be way too rude of me to do that!

(wink wink, nod nod,  nudge nudge, say no more, say no more) :D :D :D :D

• Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith - 2010-11-23

OK… I can take a hint. ;-)  I realize what I asked for is a pretty tall order.  And I'm sure you have more to do with your life than work on MR!

Thank you again for MR anyway elgrunon.  It's awesome and I use it every day!

<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)