Can Launchy search through current file?

Help
PRR
2013-03-04
2013-05-29
  • PRR

PRR - 2013-03-04

If I want to use Launchy to search for a term in whatever file I am working in at the moment, can it do this?

If not, does anyone know of another program that can do this?

• J. Ledvina

J. Ledvina - 2013-03-04

Launchy cannot search within files. I don't know of any program that can do this automatically (though you could certainly create a script in AutoHotKey or AutoIT that could do it - you might try poking around in AutoHotKey's forums).

On the other hand, if the search capability of the program that you are using to work on the file is so poor that you want to find an external solution, perhaps you should find a different program that offers a better search function? What is the program and the file type you're working with? I don't know of any apps that read/manipulate text that don't have at least a simple search function.

Joe

• PRR

PRR - 2013-03-05

Joe, I'm moving back from Word 2010 (which has an incredible search function) to Word 2000/2002, which has an ok search function, which is like that in OpenOffice (ok, but nothing like what Word 2010 does with previews of search results).

At this point, after further reflection, I'll be needing this less and less so I think I'll be ok, regardless. I had used Launchy in the past, and was wondering if it could search within docs as well.

Thanks for the reply.