64-bit programs run instead of 32-bit ones

Help
John Koo
2010-07-18
2013-05-29
  • John Koo

John Koo - 2010-07-18

I have a Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise machine that has both 32-bit (C:\Program Files (x86)\)and 64-bit (C:\Program Files\) versions of Windows programs, such as Internet Explorer.  The shortcut that Launchy uses is for the 32-bit version but the 64-bit version of the program is run instead.  If I run the shortcut myself, the 32-bit version of the program is run as expected.  I am missing something or is this a legitimate bug?

• blzb

blzb - 2010-08-08

This is happening to me aswell. Though it only seems to be the case for Internet Explorer. Cinema 4D and Photoshop, which I have both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of in my start menu, run the version they're supposed to.

If it makes a difference, I deleted the 64-bit Internet Explorer shortcut, so only the 32-bit version is in my start menu.

• B Sizer

B Sizer - 2012-02-10

I get this as well - I select my "Sonar (32bit)" shortcut, and it runs the app associated with my "Sonar (64bit)" shortcut.

I would guess that Windows is doing something sneaky and redirecting the directory that Launchy asks for.

• webnesto

webnesto - 2012-03-12

I'm having the same problem - super annoying.  I found some stuff that said that if the calling application was 64bit the 64bit IE would be used, but Launchy isn't a 64bit app so that doesn't seem pertinent.  Anyone finds a solutions to this problem, I would love to hear it.

• Anonymous - 2012-04-20

This defect makes launchy unusable to launch some apps then. I've deleted the 64bit IE shortcut, so launchy has only one choice now, but it keeps running 64bit version of IE.

• André Silva

André Silva - 2013-05-10

I have the same problem, though funny enough, it's the other way around. If I want to run a shortcut that points to something on Program Files, when Launchy tries to open the shortcut's destination's containing folder, it goes for the Program Files (x86) version, which doesn't exist, thus redirecting to My Documents.
    After taking a look at the file properties of the shortcuts using Verby, I can tell that the shortcut is assumed to point to the (x86) folder, even though the actual shortcut still points to the normal Program Files folder.