Menu

bookmarks

Help
askjhdjshd
2008-12-19
2021-03-23
  • askjhdjshd

askjhdjshd - 2008-12-19

Hi, I'm a long-term launchy fanatic. I've recently switched to firefox 3 portable and removed (/uninstalled) my old profile.

Here's my problem: I'm no longer able to launch my bookmarks. Following steps didn't work:
    - Export bookmarks.html and move the file to profile folder %appdata%..
    - Import bookmarks in iexplore (Launchy opens it with iexplore. I don't want that)

I suspect that launchy is trying to read the firefox config from the registry .. and since it's gone (portable version) it can no longer locate the bookmarks.

Any workaround / alternative solution? Would be great if someone could come up with ideas.
    Thank you!

• J. Ledvina

J. Ledvina - 2008-12-19

Did you make the portable FF your default web browser? If not, IE will always open websites. If you do this, DON'T do it within the portable firefox, because it will use the firefox.exe without the portable launcher. Do it manually using Windows' "default programs" settings.

That should actually take care of the problem for you. I tested it by removing my Firefox bookmark indexing from Launchy and then using Launchy to load one of my IE favorites - it loaded in Firefox.

I also found an application called Transmute that you can use to quickly export your PortableFirefox 3 bookmarks to your IE favorites, so you can keep them updated as you add more bookmarks. There's even a portable version (which I can confirm is truly portable, though it requires .NET 2.0, in case that matters to you): http://www.gettransmute.com/

When I thought that your default browser setting may not have been the issue, I figured out a workaround of indexing your IE favorites folder. If, for some reason, you need it, I'm still including it:

In Launchy's options, on the weby plugin page, turn off Internet Explorer bookmark indexing.

On the catalog page, add the location:

C:\Users\<Your Username>\Favorites (Vista)
      C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Username>\Favorites (XP)

and add "url" (or ".url" or "*.url") as the filetype, then rebuild the catalog. I have confirmed that this works. After re-indexing, your bookmarks will all be indexed.

Cheers,
      Joe

• askjhdjshd

askjhdjshd - 2008-12-20

Wow, thanks Joe!

I think I'm on the right track now .. but ran into some problems ;-(
      I've imported the bookmarks in iexplore, configured launchy to scan the favorites folder and disabled the iexplore bookmark indexing.
      Firefox is setup as my default browser for common links, html, xml (..).

I however can't get it to open url-files (internet shortcuts).
      These have no active 'Opens with' dialog so I modified the setting advanced > actions > open > application used to perform action

Whatever I enter as default program .. it's always iexplore opening the urls. Restarting the machine doesn't help.

This might be of interest:
      I have several (URL-) entries within the registered file types:
      URL file with extension URL.
      Firefox URL without extension.
      Internet shortcut without extension.
      (and others with different protocols attached)

I hope there's another way to alter these associations.
      Thanks again!

• askjhdjshd

askjhdjshd - 2008-12-20

Alright, I worked it out:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error_opening_Internet_shortcut_or_local_HTML_file_-_Firefox

Section - File Types edit - is of interest.

Thanks again Joe for leading me the right way. I'll definitely check out Transmute.

• Jon Tornetta

Jon Tornetta - 2021-03-23

In case others are searching for how to use bookmarks with Launchy now that it's a bit outdated...
    Built this recently. It exports Edge and Chrome bookmarks into a directory that Launchy can index and open with your default browser. Can run on schedule (at login, at 4pm, etc) to keep bookmarks in sync with Launchy index.

https://github.com/jmtornetta/extract-bookmarks