more development towards stabillity

2005-03-05
2012-11-04
  • Benjamin Schulz

Benjamin Schulz - 2005-03-05

Hi.
    I think Labplot is very feature complete at this moment.
    But with real Data, it came out that I could not work with labplot.
    Labplot, at very different usages (on some dialogues, on some diagrams, sometimes even with left or right clicks) crashes that often, that for serious work it is not that usable.

I think this is not good, since the features were, if stable, enough for most scientists.
    I would suggest that the developer does one or a half year only give Bugfixing releases.

The expression of Labplot as being too unstable is also made by many people in linuxforen. See here:
    http://www.linuxforen.de/forums/showthread.php?t=168688&highlight=labplot

quotes:
    dazu ist es wohl noch zu instabil.
    Aber in einem Jahr schlgt es (wenn es wie bisher Fortschritte macht) wahrscheinlich Microcal Origin!
    Und das ist weit mehr als das Antiquierte grace!

quote:
    Also um grace (alias xmgr) zu schlagen, mten die Entwickler von Labplot etwas mehr Zeit in die Bugfixes stecken, als in die Implementierung neuer Funktionen. Ich kenne zwar nur die Vorgngerversion von 1.4.0 und 1.4.0pre, aber beide waren absolut nicht zum arbeiten geeignet.

I'm sorry for you that you might not get that many bug fixes. But one can simply not tell, if a programm crashes at such many actions as Lapblot currently does.

Pleease test it more toroughly. It is bad if simply double clicks on a diagramm lead a program to crash.

• Stefan Gerlach

Stefan Gerlach - 2005-04-14

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed answer but i only infrequently take a look at this forum.

> I think Labplot is very feature complete at this moment.

Thanks. It took a lot of work to reach this point :-)
      There are still some missing features. Actually the TODO file is quite long and
      many people are asking for new features.

> But with real Data, it came out that I could not work with labplot.
      > Labplot, at very different usages (on some dialogues, on some diagrams,
      > sometimes even with left or right clicks) crashes that often, that for serious
      > work it is not that usable.
      > I think this is not good, since the features were, if stable, enough for most scientists.
      > I would suggest that the developer does one or a half year only give Bugfixing releases.

Yes. You are right. I don't like programs that crashes either.
      I hope that the main features (2d plot, spreadsheet, analysis, etc.) are already stable enough to really work with.
      I will definitely extend the testing time before i finally release the next version (1.5.0).
      But it would really help if more people would take a look at the pre/rc-releases, report bugs and test
      funtions with real data. As the programmer i have a different point of view at the program and may oversee
      problems that might occur when using it.
      Also my testing time is very limited, because i have to fix bugs, write documentation, answer user questions,
      build packages, etc. Here every help from users is really appreciated.

> The expression of Labplot as being too unstable is also made by many people
      > in linuxforen. See here:
      > http://www.linuxforen.de/forums/showthread.php?t=168688&highlight=labplot
      > quotes:
      > dazu ist es wohl noch zu instabil.
      > Aber in einem Jahr schlgt es (wenn es wie bisher Fortschritte macht)
      > wahrscheinlich Microcal Origin!
      > Und das ist weit mehr als das Antiquierte grace!
      > quote:
      > Also um grace (alias xmgr) zu schlagen, mten die Entwickler von Labplot
      > etwas mehr Zeit in die Bugfixes stecken, als in die Implementierung neuer
      > Funktionen. Ich kenne zwar nur die Vorgngerversion von 1.4.0 und
      > 1.4.0pre, aber beide waren absolut nicht zum arbeiten geeignet.

I will spend more and more time with bugfixing now and hope it's getting better from every release to the next.
      Of course it helps if more and more people test LabPlot with real data and send me reports about problems.
      There are still some people that constantly give bug reports and tell testing experiences and this really
      helps a lot.

> I'm sorry for you that you might not get that many bug fixes. But one
      > can simply not tell, if a programm crashes at such many actions as
      > Lapblot currently does.
      > Pleease test it more toroughly. It is bad if simply double clicks on a
      > diagramm lead a program to crash.

Many of the crashes can be fixed in a few seconds, if i only knew of them. So please take the time
      to report the bugs or send me example data for testing.

Thanks for your time.

best wishes,
      Stefan Gerlach

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks