Bug to open kxstitch

Help
2012-05-05
2013-05-20
  • Sandrine LUCE

Sandrine LUCE - 2012-05-05

Hello,

I have compile kxstitch 0.9.1 and symbol editor yesterday.
    The compilation was OK, but when I try to open kxstitch, I have a report of debug (I see quikly the software open, and immediatly close).
    The report of debug say :

GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.3-0ubuntu2) 7.3-2011.08
    Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
    and "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
    For bug reporting instructions, please see:
    <http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>…
    Reading symbols from /usr/bin/kxstitch…done.
    Attaching to program: /usr/bin/kxstitch, process 17291
    Could not attach to process.  If your uid matches the uid of the target
    process, check the setting of /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope, or try
    again as the root user.  For more details, see /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
    ptrace: Opération non permise.
    (gdb)

I have try in console with sudo kxstitch, but I have the same result.

Can somebody can help me to well finish this installation ?
    I am just an end user, not developper and I really not know how to do with this bug report.

Thanks for help.

• Stephen Allewell

You haven't given me a lot to go on I'm afraid. I assume you downloaded the source from Sourceforge and have used the build.sh script to compile it. What desktop environment are you running it on, KDE, Gnome, something else? Which versions of KDE and Qt do you have installed? Did you try compiling with the build-debug.sh script which enables debugging symbols.

In the debug window that came up, was there another tab with a program trace on it?  That would give me an indication where the problem lies.

Regards

Steve

• Sandrine LUCE

I have compile the both, build.sh and build-debug.sh.

I have Ubuntu 11.10 with gnome as default, but I have install KDE4 full before install kxstitch.
    Qt and libmagic is normally install also (but not libmagic++4, I don't found this package on synaptic).

I put here the console result when I launch kxstich

~$ kxstitch
    QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to MainWindow "MainWindow#", which already has a layout
    kxstitch(20304)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPreviewDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(20304)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPaletteDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(20304)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showHistoryDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    KCrash: Application 'kxstitch' crashing…
    KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
    sock_file=/home/sandrine/.kde/socket-PC/kdeinit4__0
    Warning: connect() failed: : Permission non accordée
    KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi directly

+  Stoppé                 kxstitch

And I have these two other information with the debug report :
    ptrace: Operation not permitted.
    /tmp/kde-sandrinekgxrtM/drkonqin20307.tmp:2: Error in sourced command file:
    No thread selected

and

Application: KXStitch (kxstitch), signal: Segmentation fault

Do you think I must complet unsintall kxstitch and compile again ?
    Only with build-debug or the both in a spectific order ?

Thanks for help.

• Stephen Allewell

Are you using 32bit or 64bit.  I will download Ubuntu and install on a VM to test it for myself.

Regards

Steve

• Sandrine LUCE

I have a 64bit architecture.

I have complet reinstall kxstitch now.

Well, if I launch it as root in Terminal, I can open and create pattern.

But if I launch it as standard user in Terminal, or sudo $user or whith the icons creat in Applications/Graphics/Kxstitch, I have the same bug.
    QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to MainWindow "MainWindow#", which already has a layout
    kxstitch(15371)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPreviewDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(15371)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPaletteDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(15371)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showHistoryDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
    ptrace: Operation not permitted.
    /tmp/kde-sandrinekgxrtM/drkonqin15258.tmp:2: Error in sourced command file:
    No thread selected

Is it a problem of right of user somewhere ?

• Stephen Allewell

Did you run the build as root? i.e. sudo ./build.sh

cd into the build folder and run sudo make uninstall and then run ./build.sh as yourself.

I will download the 64 bit version and install to test.

Regards

Steve

• Sandrine LUCE

First time, I build with sudo $user.

Second installation, I build connect as root (sudo -i  + password)

I try to uninstall and run ./build.sh without connect with sudo.

• Sandrine LUCE

I can't run sudo make uninstall directly in /build field.
    But I do it in the kxstitch field.
    And I also can't run ./build.sh without pass in sudo.
    I lauch again the sudo ./build.sh and I have see this
    sudo ./build.sh
    - Found Qt-Version 4.7.4 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
    - Found X11: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so
    - Found KDE 4.7 include dir: /usr/include
    - Found KDE 4.7 library dir: /usr/lib
    - Found the KDE4 kconfig_compiler preprocessor: /usr/bin/kconfig_compiler
    - Found automoc4: /usr/bin/automoc4
    - Found X11: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so
    - Could NOT find Doxygen (missing:  DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)
    - Configuring done
    - Generating done
    - Build files have been written to: /home/sandrine/kxstitch-0.9.1-KDE4
    make: *** Pas de cibles spécifiées et aucun makefile n'a été trouvé. Arrêt.

I have always the Doxygen_executable indicate as missing.

• Sandrine LUCE

Sandrine LUCE - 2012-05-06

Hello,

I do some reasearch for how to do with my debug programm.
    I found to do a run on gb.
    I put here the complete report , may be it can help you :

GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.3-0ubuntu2) 7.3-2011.08
    Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
    and "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
    For bug reporting instructions, please see:
    <http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>…
    Reading symbols from /usr/local/bin/kxstitch…done.
    Attaching to program: /usr/local/bin/kxstitch, process 16557
    ptrace: Opération non permise.
    (gdb) run
    Starting program: /usr/local/bin/kxstitch

kxstitch(17698)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPreviewDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(17698)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPaletteDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(17698)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showHistoryDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
    (gdb)

Regards

• Stephen Allewell

I noticed that KXStitch appears to be installed in /usr/local/bin. I think this is possibly related to the problem your having.

At the command prompt what does the command kde4-config -prefix give. For my system it is /usr

I have downloaded ubuntu and I am trying to install the kde development packages to test so hopefully I can give you some more information to get you started.

Regards

Steve

• Sandrine LUCE

Yes, I have the same :
    e@PC:~$ kde4-config -prefix
    /usr

I had a look on /usr/local/bin and I see the executable for kxstitch, but I also have it on /usr/bin and the same for Symbol editor.
    I just know that I have gnome, and add kde only to use kxstitch, but I don't want to work on kde environnement but if I want to use, I must swith my session user and reconnect with select kde. I thinght that it is a new function appareat with Ubuntu 11.04.
    For more I don't use the default gnome environnement, I always select Gnome Classic appearence because I prefere it.

Not about this problem, but do you think to translate this soft (I use it in root mode, and I find it really great !) in french ?
    It is not a problem for me, but I see when I look for installation informations, that some people like to have it in french, and I can propose my help to the translation if you want.

Regards.

• Stephen Allewell

I have now tested the build on Ubuntu 11.10 and it works for me.

I installed Ubuntu, build-essential, cmake, kdelibs5-dev, libmagick++-dev.
    Downloaded and unpacked the source then ran the build.sh script as myself.

The root password is asked for to install, the script uses su -c for this but since you use sudo, just press enter then cd build and type sudo make install which should install it.  On mine kxstitch was installed into /usr/bin and not /usr/local/bin.  So I think there is an issue with your kde installation.

Hopefully you can reproduce the steps above and get going, but I'm not sure I can really help you any further as I can't reproduce the problem that you are having.

Regards

Steve

• Stephen Allewell

What do you get if you type which kxstitch as yourself, this should be /usr/bin/kxstitch.  If you get /usr/local/bin/kxstitch then this will be overriding the /usr/bin/ version.  You should remove the /usr/local/bin version.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but are you saying you switch to a kde environment just to run kxstitch. This shouldn't be necessary as running a kde app in gnome will just load the relevant libraries. You don't need to be in kde to do this.

If you would like to produce a French translation then please feel free to do so. If you run the Messages.sh script this will create a kxstitch.pot file with all the text strings in it, rename this to fr.po and move it to the po folder.  You can use lokalise to do the translation or another tool your familiar with.  When finished you can send it to kxstitch-translations@mirramar.adsl24.co.uk and I will add it to git.

Regards

Steve

• Sandrine LUCE

OK, I will try to uninstall all and do the steps below.
    For the question about kde environment, I not use it. I am connect in gnome classic, never try to launch kxstich after a swith in KDE (I not sure to be very clear, sorry).

But just a question, when do I use file build-debug ?

May be I haven't do the right process (I found on Ubuntu forum how to compile source).
    I do ./build.sh (with sudo).
    After I have the build field, I stay on the parent directory (the Cmakefile.txt is in the parent directory, not in build) and run
    cmake . -G"KDevelop"
    waiting for processing,
    then
    make
    and
    make install

It seam, I have do not necessary step to install.

I will do you explanations and ask you if it all is now OK.
    And OK, I will do the translation and transfert you when I finish (It is also valable for the user manual ?)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Sandrine

• Sandrine LUCE

Well, really sorry but I have the same problem.
    I have do
    sudo ./build.sh
    cd build
    sudo make install
    All seam OK.
    But kxstitch => bug
    Launch with the icone => bug

sudo -i to pass in root
    kxstitch => OK, the soft open…

:o(
    Really don't know what I can do wrong.
    And I verify, the dependances you mention are all already installed.

• Stephen Allewell

The build-debug.sh script  is the same as the build.sh script but includes the flags that build kxstitch with additional information that should help in tracing any problems. Normally you would only use the build.sh script. If you use the build-debug.sh script it will replace the version created with build.sh.

There should be no need to do another cmake and make after using build.sh.  Basically the build.sh determines where kde apps are installed with kde4-config -prefix, runs cmake with that value as the installation prefix then runs make and su -c 'make install' although this requires the root password, it should be changed to sudo make install for Ubuntu.

The compilation is done in the build folder to avoid contaminating the source with the generated files. With you running cmake . -G"KDevelop" (this didn't work for me) you will have generated all this within the source tree. This is also why you have a version in /usr/local/

All I can say is that it worked fine for me using the ./build.sh as a user then cd build and sudo make install.  I could then run it from the command line or using the icon in the dashboard.

Why it should run as root and not as a user must be down to a permissions issue.
    Check you can read the following folders as yourself, check the kxstitch related files in the folders.
    /usr/share/icons/locolor/32x32/apps/
    /usr/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/
    /usr/bin/
    /usr/share/kde4/apps/kxstitch/
    /usr/share/kde4/config.kcfg/
    /usr/share/applications/kde4/
    /usr/share/man/man1/
    /usr/share/mime/packages/
    /usr/share/kde4/apps/kxstitch/toolbar/
    /usr/share/kde4/apps/kxstitch/schemes/
    /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kxstitch/

• Sandrine LUCE

I can open all the field as myself and see the kstitch relatied file in each field.

Just for the last one : /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kxstitch/ I also have /usr/share/doc/kde4/HTML/en/kxstitch/ with the same files in it.
    Can it be the way to my problem ?

• Stephen Allewell

It is unlikely that this would cause the problem.

Regarding the kxstitch files in the folders, can you view them correctly, can you see the images, can you read the text files.

I can't understand why you can run it as root and not as a user unless there is a permissions issue or configuration issue outside of kxstitch.

I really don't know what to suggest since I can't reproduce it here.

• Stephen Allewell

Out of interest, can you run SymbolEditor as yourself?

• Sandrine LUCE

Sandrine LUCE - 2012-05-08

Excuse-me, I have just see your messages.
    I can launch SymbolEditor as myself but, when I just clic on the pattern, the soft also close like kxstitch.
    Can it be related with some permission or configuration with my printer ? Beaucse since I have Ubuntu 11.10, I have some problem with also. Certainly link to rights.
    And just, I use kxstitch as root, and want to print in pdf only one page by using the menu in kxstitch but, kxstitch always print all the page, not one by one (may be not related, but … ).
    May be it is a problem of related links ?

May be will I move to Ubuntu 12.04 and see if the problem is already present.

Thank for your help.

• Sandrine LUCE

Sandrine LUCE - 2012-05-23

Hello,

I have update my system with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I uninstall all kde4.
    After have reboot my computer, I install
    build-essential, cmake, kdelibs5-dev, libmagick++-dev
    And unzip the kxstitch, and do ./build.sh after go on build directory.
    To finish the installation, the prompt ask me for the su password. I give it.
    After this step, I do the sudo make install.
    All seam great.
    I try now to start kxstitch… and I have this error message :

sandrine@PC:~$ kxstitch
    kxstitch(12032)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen" not found!

kxstitch(12032)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPreviewDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(12032)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPaletteDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(12032)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showHistoryDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    KCrash: Attempting to start  from kdeinit
    Warning: connect() failed: : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    KCrash: Attempting to start  directly
    KCrash failed to exec(), errno = 2

I really don't understand what is the problem with my system.
    What I have to do to now complet the installation without reinstall kde complet ?

Thank for your help.

• Stephen Allewell

oxygen is the standard icon set for kde as indicated in the message.  It should have been installed as part of kde, or there may be an additional package that you need to install.  The icon set is used by kxstitch but isn't part of it.  You need to either find the icon package or contact the people who packaged your kde distribution.

Regards

• Sandrine LUCE

Sandrine LUCE - 2012-05-23

Well, I install the oxygen package with synaptic, but kxstitch don't start.
    I try to install also Qt additional package, without success.

sandrine@PC:~$ kxstitch
    kxstitch(19012)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPreviewDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(19012)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showPaletteDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    kxstitch(19012)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "showHistoryDockWidget" with KXMLGUIFactory!
    KCrash: Attempting to start  from kdeinit
    Warning: connect() failed: : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    KCrash: Attempting to start  directly
    KCrash failed to exec(), errno = 2
    sandrine@PC:~$

It always start buy connect in root, but now, I have a other error message when I try to open a file already existing :
    "Could not start process Cannot talk to klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files."

But I really want to start it normally, as myself.
    The package kdeinit isn't available. Do you know in which package of kde I can find it ? May be that can resolve the problem.

• Stephen Allewell

These sound like problems with your kde install. I don't really know much about the kde internals, so you would be better asking on your distributions mailing lists.  All I can tell you is it worked properly for me when I tried it myself on the same distribution.

• Sandrine LUCE

Sandrine LUCE - 2012-06-11

Hello,

I had a look, but I don't know which form I can post my problem with Kxstitch and KDE.
    Then, I have completly format my hard disk and reinstall Ubuntu 12.04.
    I install with apt-get the need programm and compile kxstitch.
    I have also the problem.
    But I the bug reporter, I see this last report line :
    #36 0x08083295 in main (argc=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x79>, argv=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7d>) at /home/sandrine/Téléchargements/kxstitch-0.9.1-KDE4/src/Main.cpp:135

And I just remember, when I have install Symbol Editor that well open, the installation directory have "disappear", but will the kxstitch directory, it always stay after installation.
    Is it a better place to unzip this file ? Can I suppress it ?
    Must I have something in the build directory or other directory to launch to clean the installation ?

I try to continue my research and may be will I find somebody who have occur the same problem and release it.

Regards.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks