Project Update

Help
KrisDS
2015-01-26
2015-01-31
  • KrisDS

KrisDS - 2015-01-26

Dear Koopa users and contributors,

I want to take the opportunity to share some personal news, which will have an impact on my contributions to Koopa.

From next week on (February 2nd 2015) I'll be starting a new job where I'll get the opportunity to do active development on Koopa. My new employer is looking to integrate Koopa into its offering so that it can extend its services for clients with Cobol codebases. I will also be extending the Cobol grammar (and possibly others) as needed to help serve their customers.

As part of my contract, and after some lengthy discussions, I have agreed with my new employer that I won't share any changes I make directly related to the integration of Koopa into their offerings, nor of customer specific extensions the grammars. This means that on occasion I may no longer be able to actively help out with requests from the community to help extend Koopa in certain ways. My goal is to be very transparent about this: if there is a conflict I'll just come out and say it.

However, my new employer has agreed to not create two incompatible versions of Koopa. As such I will be able to pass on contributions to the core of Koopa, and improve its island parser technology. I can also help out with bug fixes and share code which was developed in my spare time. And, of course, you can all do the same. I can still accept and merge contributions as they come in, or you can ask one of the other registered developers to help out (if they are willing).

All in all I think this will mean good things for the project. Rather than spending whatever time I can steal away from my spare time, I'll now get to apply myself much more extensively to Koopa. So even if I can not share everything, the project, and you, should still benefit from the new reality.

If there are any questions, feel free to mail me, or ask them here.

Kind regards,

Kris

• mahesh

mahesh - 2015-01-31

Kris, Thanks for the great framework you have developed and contributed to the community, and also all your timely support, till now.

All the best in your new job. I am sure with dedicated focus on Koopa, you will take it to new heights!