newbie needs help

Help
Michael
2013-10-07
2013-10-08
  • Michael

Michael - 2013-10-07

I'm using Kompozer to try to edit some existing html files that I have. When I first open them they look fine but after I save and reopen them everything on the page is thrown all over the place. It's like it's trying to save it as a different file type or something.

I'm a newbie and just trying to use this program to edit simple text to update a website. Any thoughts on what could be causing this would be great. Thank you.

• TexTech

TexTech - 2013-10-07

In your reply to this message, include a link to the webpage you are editing.

Since you are a newbie, have you tried creating a simple test page, then add something to it, and start building a webpage in a way that helps you to start understanding what is going on? If you do this, send a link to those pages so someone else can look at what you are doing and try to help by seeing actual coding, not just your perceived descriptions of your coding.

• Michael

Michael - 2013-10-07

Yes thanks you're right, here is what the page looks like before I try to save it in Komposer http://www.manchesterguitartutor.com/prices.html

And it looks like this after I save it in Komposer http://www.manchesterguitartutor.com/test.html

I'm just not sure why it instantly throws everything around the page once I've saved it, I've tried playing around a little with the save settings in preferences but no luck.

Thank you

• TexTech

TexTech - 2013-10-08

OK, not sure, as I am very tired tonight (Dallas), but in test.html try changing the following lines (in the Source tab):

---div id="header">
    ---div class="narrow-text">
    ---div class="clear">

to (change the 3 dashes to the lesser than bracket)

---div id="header" />
    ---div class="narrow-text" />
    ---div class="clear" />

KompoZer has not been updated in (seems like forever), so I have seen other anomalies in the way it reformats html coding.

If KompoZer does not handle that, you might have to make the coding changes in Notepad.

The bottom changes are what is working in prices.html

Have you tried looking at these web pages in other browsers. Always a good idea.

Also, in Tools, Preferences, General, When Saving or Publishing Settings, which radio button is selected?