Menu

How to download entire site, edit, re-publish?

Help
2016-09-02
2022-02-14
  • Dougmeister

Dougmeister - 2016-09-02

I am new to Kompozer. I tried downloading a single file via FTP, edited it in an HTML editor, and re-uploaded it. It broke all kinds of things. Luckly, I had made a copy of the source file on the web server and put it back.

I then tried opening the local file in Kompozer, saving it, and FTP'ing it, but again, it broke everything.

I then opened the URL of the page in question with Kompozer. I read that I should "publish" the file from within Kompozer.

1) Is that true?
    2) Is there a way to download the entire web site to my local hard drive?

• TexTech

TexTech - 2016-09-02

You can download your entire website while you are logged into it via FTP.

Other websites may or may not be fully copyable using the programs mentioned by Paolo.

Kompozer is quite old, but I still use it. My needs are simple, so it works for me. Kompozer has not been updated in a very long time.

As you noted in your question, sometimes Kompozer (which is an html editor) will mess up a web page. It has done that to me once or twice. ALWAYS keep an original copy of any webpage you are modifying. Which html editor did you use to edit your webpage?

The Publish function in Kompozer is there for convenience. There is no difference between uploading a file using Publish or FTP. The main difference is if you are putting a file in a subdirectory. With Kompozer, you have to remember the name of the subdirectory and manually type in it in. With FTP you can see your website's structure, so clicking on it is easier.

• Dougmeister

Dougmeister - 2016-09-27

So to make simple changes, I should open the file on the target website and save it there?

(After making a full backup on my local hard drive, of course)

• TexTech

TexTech - 2016-09-29

You can edit the file while it is on website. I don't.

I always keep a copy of the file to be editted on my local computer. I make a copy of that file, and then edit it. Then I upload that editted copy to the website. Then I rename the existing file. Then I rename the editted file so it becomes visible on the website. This way I keep a good copy of the most recent good file both on my local computer and on the website. After testing the editted file, then I feel secure in deleting the old file on the website. Some might call this a belts and suspenders approach, and that is OK with me.

• Dougmeister

Dougmeister - 2016-10-04

Thanks.

Last time I used FileZilla to copy a file to my computer, used Kompozer to edit it, and FileZilla to copy it back to the website... and the resulting file displayed as gibberish.

I hope this isn't inappropriate to ask here, but...

Is there a newer piece of software that I could use in case Kompozer does this again?

• TexTech

TexTech - 2016-10-04

KompoZer is the only free WYSIWYG HTML editor that I am aware of. I think there are a few cheap websites that have a drag and drop functionality similar to WYSIWYG. There may even be a program available through your website vendor, that will give you some assistance.

Are you familiar with "looking under the hood" at the actual HTML code? If so, then many simple edits can be easily done with that method. KompoZer has that capability under the Source and Split tabs at the bottom of the window. However, I prefer to use a great free program: Notepad++ (notepad-plus-plus.org). There is a learning curve to HTML, but there are free lessons on the web: w3schools.com and other places.

Also, when you know what you are looking at, then knowing HTML means you can troubleshoot what KompoZer is doing to your code. When KompoZer hosed my code, I recognized what it was doing when I looked at the HTML code.

And, BTW, if you have only tried to modify your webpage once, then you should always try it at least a second or third time. Change what you change to see if the problem is related to one certain part of your webpage.

• Rick Milne

Rick Milne - 2017-02-15

Hey guys thanks for the information. I always used dreamweaver. Unfortunately my computer was destroyed and no longer have it. I am now using my GF laptop and just downloaded Kompozer. I have a new client and need to figure out how to download his site and save it so that I can begin to add content and make some updates. Anyone have suggestions what is the best way to do this?

• Fred

Fred - 2022-02-14

In some situations, with some specific blocks you cannot do that, because of it's interconnections with backend components. But if we talk about regular development process and basic knowledge of blocks, attributes and tags, articles like b vs strong comparison can be helpful in understanding of what elements you should edit first and how to do that in the most effective ways.

Last edit: Fred 2022-02-14