Menu

Support for Protege 3.4.x?

Samson Tu
2009-12-09
2013-04-23
  • Samson Tu

Samson Tu - 2009-12-09

Hi,

Is the upcoming 1.9 release compatible with Protege 3.4.x? If not, what's preventing knowtator from migrating to Protege 3.4.x? We are a heavy user of Protege, and the need to maintain 2 installed version of Protege is creating significant hassle.  Thanks.

• Brant Barney

Brant Barney - 2009-12-11

Hello,

Knowtator 1.9 is only compatible with Protege v. 3.3.1. At this point, no effort has been made to support 3.4.x.

If you are interested in contributing to the project by helping with the 3.4.x compatibility, please let us know.

• Samson Tu

Samson Tu - 2010-11-19

Hi,

I finally downloaded knowtator source code to see what may be causing incompatibility with Protege 3.4.x. Looking at the code in Eclipse, I see that it is minorl change in Protege 3.4.x API for Knowledge.createSimpleInstance(..) that's causing knowtator problem. Protege 3.3.x API has
    createSimpleInstance(FrameID id, String name, Collection directTypes, boolean initializeDefaults)
    Protege 3.4.x API has
    createSimpleInstance(FrameID id, Collection directTypes, boolean initializeDefaults)
    Since knowtator always calls createSimpleInstance with "null" second argument (createSimpleInstance(null, null, …)), it is completely trivial to make knowtator compatible with Protege 3.4

With best regards,
    Samson
    swt@stanford.edu

• Samson Tu

Samson Tu - 2010-11-19

OK, not all usage of createSimpleInstance has null second argument. However, it appears that using "createInstance" with a single direct type and then coercing to SimpleInstance should work too. Is there any usage of "createSimpleInstance" that requires multiple direct types?

With best regards,
    Samson
    swt@stanford.edu

• Samson Tu

Samson Tu - 2010-11-19

The knowtator code really should use "createInstance" instead of "createSimpleInstance" API method. That way knowtator will be compatible with all versions of Protege.

With best regards,
    Samson
    swt@stanford.edu

• neves

neves - 2011-02-22

Hi,
    are there any plans to make Knowtator available with 3.4.x? I need to use some plug-in which are available only in this versions of Protege, like EditorPane and BioPortal.

Regards,
    Mariana

• Samson Tu

Samson Tu - 2012-02-25

A recent inquiry from James Moliere finally goaded me into trying to fix the Protege 3.4.x incompatibility problem. I built a version of the plugin in Protege 3.4.8. You can try it out by grabbing it from http://www.stanford.edu/~swt/edu.uchsc.ccp.knowtator.zip. Put the unzipped folder in Protege's plugin directory.

I haven't done any testing except loading the "newproject.pprj" as I am not a user of Knowtator myself.

• mcbobo

mcbobo - 2012-04-10

Thanks a lot for the updated plugin. It works fine here.

Is it possible to get the sources?

• Samson Tu

Samson Tu - 2012-04-10

If the project admin grants me write-access to thr repository, I can check .in the source.

Samson

• mcbobo

mcbobo - 2012-04-11

Did you contact them by mail already? It seems to me that they are not reading every post in this forum.

Thanks for your effort.

• mcbobo

mcbobo - 2012-04-17

You could upload your code as a patch in the meantime. That doesn't depend on rights in the repository but would enable me to start with your code for working on my goals in extending this plugin.

I would be very grateful!

• Samson Tu

Samson Tu - 2012-04-18

How do I upload the code as a patch? I can just post the source code on my web page as a zip archive, and ask the knowtator developer to deal with the update.  Meanwhile, you can just download the code for your own use.

• mcbobo

mcbobo - 2012-04-18

You could upload it here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=128424&atid=714370
    Probably also as a Zip. But uploading it on your webpage seems also perfectly fine.