Menu

Annotating With knowtator

Deerman
2009-02-07
2013-04-23
  • Deerman

Deerman - 2009-02-07

Hello. I am new to the Knowtator/Annotating world.

I have successfully installed Knowtator with Protege. I am following the following tutorial to perfrom a simple annoation: http://knowtator.sourceforge.net/quickstart.shtml.

However, I am hitting a wall.

In the section of the tutorial labeled: "Your first annotation"

I am trying to annotate a document that has the names of people. So I select some text, then right click on person, then "create person annotation". A Knowtator Test Instance appears on the right side of the screen I don't see anything happening with the document.; even when I press next. No names are highlighted.

Also, how does Knowtator know to highlight names of people when it doesn't know what names are or that the person class even represent the names of people?

Thank you

• Philip Ogren

Philip Ogren - 2009-02-08

This is unexpected behavior indeed.  Are you running on Windows?  If so, then you probably have a console window that appears when you start Protege.  If you are seeing a stack trace or any other message, then please post it.  This will help me diagnose what is going on.

Knowtator does not know to highlight anything.  Knowtator is a manual data entry tool.  There is no magic - just a lot of tedious work.  If you are wanting automatic annotation, then Knowtator is not your tool.  However, it is possible (and common) to pre-populate a Knowtator annotation project with automatic annotation from some other system.  This is useful when you want to apply human reviewed corrections to automatically generated annotations.

• Deerman

Deerman - 2009-02-08

This is the error I get when I create a new annotation object.

Help
      Protege Wizards v1.0 beta build 14
      Loaded standard Protege wizards library
      INFO: Load time for file:\C:\Program%20Files\Protege_3.3.1\TestingOnly.pprj = 6
      sec (project) + 17 sec (ui)
      Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
              at edu.uchsc.ccp.knowtator.KnowtatorManager.deleteSelectedAnnotation(Kno
      wtatorManager.java:617)
              at edu.uchsc.ccp.knowtator.Knowtator$4.actionPerformed(Knowtator.java:61
      3)
              at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Sour
      ce)
              at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
      Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
              at edu.uchsc.ccp.knowtator.KnowtatorManager.deleteSelectedAnnotation(Kno
      wtatorManager.java:617)
              at edu.uchsc.ccp.knowtator.Knowtator$4.actionPerformed(Knowtator.java:61
      3)
              at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Sour
      ce)
              at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Where can I find some good examples/tutorials on Knowtator; one's other than those available on the website?

Thanks

• Philip Ogren

Philip Ogren - 2009-02-09

I am unable to duplicate your error.  I have found that if there are no annotations (i.e. I have a completely empty annotation project) and I click the "Delete" button that I get the stack trace that you report above.  I have filed a bug report here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2582254&group_id=128424&atid=714366

I did a clean install of Protege (3.3.1) and Knowtator (1.8) and followed my own instructions in the install and quickstart sections.  I noticed a couple minor documentation bugs - but nothing that should have caused the behavior you describe above.  I am able to create an annotation schema and start annotating without any problem. 

When you say "I select some text" - what do you mean by this?  What I mean is that you have to highlight a span of text.  You must drag your mouse over a span of text in your document such that it is highlighted with a blue background.  After you have selected some text, then create your annotation by clicking on the "person" annotation type.

I do not know of any documentation for Knowtator that exists outside of the project website that would be of any use to you.  The only other documentation I have seen is very specific to annotation projects. 

Philip

• fordcentro

fordcentro - 2009-11-13

I am experiencing the same issue. I have successfully installed it and then when I try to annotate by highlighting the text and clicking on a class I select the option 'annotate … ' from the context menu but nothing happens. I have even tried to annotate the quickstart project unsuccessfully - I have tried making it work unsuccessfully on both osx and vista. If anyone else comes across this issue or can offer tips or tricks it'd be muchly appreciate it.
    Cheers,