Create zim-file by myself from actual dump

Help
2013-12-29
2014-01-14
  • franc walter

franc walter - 2013-12-29

Hello
    I search and search and search, but nowhere I can find a way how I can create easily a zim-file to use in my Android phone from an actual dump WITHOUT pictures.
    There are some zim-files for Kiwix to download, but only with pictures, so much too big.
    Who is creating these? Can I post wishes to them? Why I cannot do this myself?

I want to create my own zim-file from the latest dump (or anything else if there is something) of german wikipedia which is only 3.1 GB, not 26 GB.

Is this not possible or too complicated?

Thank for help

frank

Last edit: franc walter 2013-12-29
    • Emmanuel Engelhart

Hi Franc

There is for now no easy solution to create complete ZIM files of Wikipedia. If you are computer-skilled then you can have a look to this two tools:
      mwoffliner
      zimwriterfs

Regarding the "nopic" ZIM files, we will start to release such type of files in parallel to the ones with pic. The WPDE ZIM file without pictures is in particular asked by users. For this reason, I will do it ASAP, so this will be available within the next 3 weeks.

Kind regards
      Emmanuel

• Anonymous - 2013-12-31

I think use another apps will be better(Okiwix or fastwiki).Fastwiki can create a WITHOUT pictures file(but not ZIM) by yourself if you have a dump of a wikipedia.Okiwix provide WITHOUT pictures file(not ZIM)but you can download pictures if you want.

• Anonymous - 2014-01-07

Yes, a wiki zim without pictures would be interesting.

However, I would prefer a wiki zim including pictures, but e.g. limited to the top "10.000" or "top 100.000" articles, so everyone can select a size that fiton his offline reader and matches his requirements.

Even better would be a simple program that could split the total zim file interactively by top-usage or into sub-files by categories (incl. all sub-categories and pages therein).

• Anonymous - 2014-01-07

Where do I find mwoffliner? Is there a description on how to use it?

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks