Kiwix 1.6 bugs and Features

Anonymous
2013-12-04
2013-12-17
  • Anonymous - 2013-12-04

Hey,
    Now that i can use the Kiwix version 1.6 i already have some suggestions:

I do not especially like the new "Back to Top" Button. It is really usefull, but it takes up to much screen real estate. Would it be possible to include this button as a symbol next to the search button? That way, no place would be wasted.
    For the same reason, i think it would be better, if the search prompt would be hidden after scrolling a bit. You might know the way the Cyanogenmod-Browser works: Whenever you scroll down on a webpage, the urlbar will scroll off screen, freeing screen-space. The same could be done in kiwix, with the additional option, to directly show the searchbar after clicking the search button.

Now that i write about it, i think a very good way could be to combine the search and "back to top" button: The searchbar would always stay at the very top of the page. Clicking the search-button would scroll the page up to the top and make the searchbar visible.
    What do you think?

Christian

• Emmanuel Engelhart

Hi,

Regarding the "toTop" bar, although I can understand the problem of space on the screen you are reporting, I'm not really supportive of your proposition. The action bar is already pretty full and I don't like to mix different stuff like search&backtotop.

Hidding the searchbox by scrolling would be feasible... But I'm not so convinced, because you will have each time you want to search a new article to click two times before being able to make a search. If free screen place matters for you, I recommend clicking on the "search" icon after your article is loaded and the bar will disappear. We have also the fullscreen mode. Maybe we should make a preference to handle this (remove search bar after loading article y/n).

But, as a first measure, I have reduced a little the height of the bar, to limit the visual impact and still have something you can put your finger on.

An other idea I have would be to make the "totop button" invisible after a few seconds of inactivity on the vertical scrollbar. So display only a few second after having moved the verticial scrollbar.

Regards
      Kelson

• Anonymous - 2013-12-05

I have a problem that the "Back to Top" Button do not disappear although I cancel it in setings

• Emmanuel Engelhart

This is bug :( I have fixed it. This will be available in next release 1.7, probably before Christmas.

• Anonymous - 2013-12-06

Also, the problem from earlier versions persists whenever a "Geoloaction" is referenced: Instead of useful information, a lenghty url is shown which distorts the infobox.

Example: Article "Pune"

• Emmanuel Engelhart

Which ZIM file?

• Anonymous - 2013-12-15

It's in the german .zim file without index

• Anonymous - 2013-12-16

Same trouble here. Put the english 2012 zimaa to zimae onto the external SD of my Android 4.3 Asus Phone Tab 7 HD and the main app doesn't 'see' them. In the same directory are placed the english simple zim file and it works like a breeze
    with it. Same for all the zim files I'm placing there. Tried to open them through two file managers and received the "Kiwix stopped working" error. I managed to open the other two zim files mentionead above through the file maagers and yes, they are working very well. I will copy the troublesome zim files to the pc to see if the PC app can work with them. Anyway, Kiwix si a great app/soft. Thank you!

• Anonymous - 2013-12-16

Thank you! Right now!

• Anonymous - 2013-12-16

:( Same story. :(

When trying to open w-en-all-nopic-01-2012.zimaa ... "Unfortunately...

w-en-simple-all-08-2011 works fine.

AFAIK Kiwix on PC worked fine with these zimaa to zimae files. I'm now checking again.

• Emmanuel Engelhart

As far as I can understand you have two problems:
      your file "w-en-all-nopic-01-2012.zim.." is not available is the list of file to open in Kiwix
      If you open the file from and external app, (file explorer) Kiwix is unable to open it (or crash?).

Now, in the new apk, you have on the top right corner a button to "rescan" your sdcard. Do you have used it? If yes, what was the result? Do you see the w-en-all-nopic-01-2012.zim in the list?

Regarding the impossibility to open the file, the most probable reason is that something is wrong with the files (names, content, ...). Testing with the PC version of Kiwix is certainly a good appraoch to try to understand what goes wrong.

• Anonymous - 2013-12-16

Again, AFAIK, Kiwix worked fine on my former Galaxy S Advance , stock 4.1.2 Android.

Now tried to open with portable Kiwix the zimaa file (the only one that the soft sees (both on Android & Win) directly from the microSD card and no error but now the PC's working hard to build an index file.

• Anonymous - 2013-12-17

OK, on the PC the portable Kiwix works fine with the files I have on the microSD card. Copied them on the PC and it'a all OK. Is there a way to search for an article contained in the zimae file? To find that indded the soft is working fine with all the zimaa to zimae files?

On the other hand, on the PC I can open the file(s) with no errors through "file->browse library" and there the soft shows me the 9.7 gb wikipedia as present on my PC (indeed I copied it on the hdd) and when click on it... No problem! Perfect!

• Emmanuel Engelhart

no, but you have a tool to check the integrity of the file (this will freeze your UI), but no worry just be patient and wait the result.

• Anonymous - 2013-12-17

I tried the integrity check but it seemed frozen so I stopped Kiwix before the task was done. Now checking again.

In the mean time I put the microSD card back in the phablet, did a restart and now it works fine...

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks