Menu

an idea

rickywk
2023-04-15
2023-04-24
  • rickywk

rickywk - 2023-04-15

Hello! First, I want to say that BASIC-256 is a very good freeware. I downloaded BASIC-256 about 1 month ago. In addition, I also downloaded the pdf book(first edition). I am reading the book and learning the language. Enough nice examples are in each chapter of the pdf book . Good book! Sure. Though I am not a child or a student, learning BASIC-256 is so enjoyable.

I have a little suggestion. Since the target audience of BASIC-256 may be the 10 to 20 age group, BASIC-256 should be put in some places where young people always visit. Right? Many young people are loyal gamers. Websites with a lot of free games for downloading are suitable and ideal places. I suggest Itch.io. Many people make their games and upload to Itch. Most games are free there. Furthermore, programming language softwares can also be uploaded to Itch. For example, some BASIC language softwares can be found on the following pages.

Craft Basic: https://lucidapogee.itch.io/
    BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0: https://bbcbasic.itch.io/
    RCBasic: https://n00bcode.itch.io/
    MiniBASIC: https://joestrout.itch.io/

In fact, uploading games and programming language tools to Itch by members is free of charge. The user community of BASIC-256 may be enlarged significantly if BASIC-256 is available on Itch as well. I hope that the development team of BASIC-256 will consider the suggestion.

Last edit: rickywk 2023-04-15
  • rickywk

rickywk - 2023-04-22

Wow, I am very surprised. No feedback, no reponse from the development team or any other BASIC-256 user after 7 days. Is my idea too bad?

• Richard Murphy

Richard Murphy - 2023-04-22

Your idea is great.

As far as development team – it is really just one individual who I think is quite busy. I have done a few small changes, but can’t speak for the project as a whole. However, I don’t think anyone would mind you promoting BASIC-256 as it is really quite great.

Cheers,
      Richard.

From: discussion@kidbasic.p.re.sourceforge.net on behalf of rickywk rickywk@users.sourceforge.net
      Reply-To: "[kidbasic:discussion]" 617729@discussion.kidbasic.p.re.sourceforge.net
      Date: Saturday, 22 April 2023 at 3:00 PM
      To: "[kidbasic:discussion]" 617729@discussion.kidbasic.p.re.sourceforge.net
      Subject: [kidbasic:discussion] an idea

Wow, I am very surprised. No feedback, no reponse from the development team or any other BASIC-256 user after 7 days. Is my idea too bad?

an ideahttps://sourceforge.net/p/kidbasic/discussion/617729/thread/0f8b7e3e6b/?limit=25#34bc

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/kidbasic/discussion/617729/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

👍
      • rickywk

rickywk - 2023-04-23

As far as development team – it is really just one individual who I think is quite busy. I have done a few small changes,

Hello, there are two members in the development team. I see!

However, I don’t think anyone would mind you promoting BASIC-256 as it is really quite great.

If I have some interesting finished programs written in BASIC-256, I will upload to my account on Itch. Sure. I will also mention BASIC-256 there. Of course I will not upload low-quality finished programs to Itch. No doubt.

Your idea is great.

However, I am only an BASIC-256 user or outsider. Creating an account "basic-256.itch.io" or "basic256.itch.io" should be done by the development team. The account will represent BASIC-256 officially. Yes, I also think that the idea is great. The idea needs an appropriate person to implement. If the lead developer is very busy, you are the appropriate person. Making the Itch webpages as cool as possible will attract many young visitors to download and try BASIC-256. Your abundant knowledge of BASIC-256 will make you interact nicely with visitors there because some visitors will leave messages on the message board there.

but can’t speak for the project as a whole.

Okay. I see. I have expressed my opinions. If you can discuss with the lead developer about this, you may finally make this great idea become an effective promotion successfully. Yeah! Bye.

• Jim Reneau

Jim Reneau - 2023-04-23

I would love to see some of the things you have done. If you would like to be part of the marketing/development team, let me know and we can discuss. J.

• Jim Reneau

Jim Reneau - 2023-04-23

No, sorry. Your idea is great, but I do not have the time right now to consider implementing something like that. I am a professor at a small US university and the demands are overwhelming.

I would love to see a community get started and grow. I will take leadership and if you are willing to get it rolling, I will support and maintain the code as needed. Additionally, I would love to get some additional coders into the source, if you know any.

• rickywk

rickywk - 2023-04-24

I would love to see some of the things you have done.

Hello...I am just an amateur and learn programming at my leisure time. Ha....if I am able to finish making a fun program with BASIC-256, I will let you and Richard M. know. Sure!

If you would like to be part of the marketing/development team,

Thanks for the invitation! I only have limited knowledge of programming. I believe that I am not competent in the development team or the marketing team of a professional software(BASIC-256).
        I opened this discussion thread because I appreciated the development team of the software and wanted to give some feedbacks to the team. I also thought that the suggestion would be quite helpful to the software.
        Now I sincerely hope that an enthusiastic Basic-256 user will come out to implement the idea.

I do not have the time right now to consider implementing something like that.

Ok. I see.

the demands are overwhelming.

Thanks for letting me know how busy professors are.

I would love to see a community get started and grow.

Oh, sorry. I think that I really can't help. Time is a real factor. However, frankly speaking, maybe there is a weird phenomenon in this official forum. BASIC-256 is popular because many videos about BASIC-256 can be found on Youtube. There should be many users but the official forum doesn't reflect this situation. The date of the first post is in 2006 but there are only 51 discussion threads within 17 years. Unreasonable. Perhaps this issue really needs to be solved.

I would love to get some additional coders into the source, if you know any.

Oh, if the official forum has many active members, it should be quite easy to find enthusiastic coders for the development of BASIC-256. Sure. So attracting users to join the official forum is crucial and important.