Menu

Mp3 unkown field removal

rob
2016-11-21
2016-11-21
  • rob

rob - 2016-11-21

how can one remove unknown field from mp3?
    where does the unknown field come from? different taggers?
    thx

• Urs Fleisch

Urs Fleisch - 2016-11-21

You can remove it like other frames by placing the cursor on it and clicking the "Delete" button or by selecting its checkbox and clicking the "Remove" button to remove all checked frames.

Kid3 can use two different libraries for ID3v2.3.0 tags: TagLib (the default) or id3lib. You can switch between them in the Plugins tab of the settings (needs restart). There are ID3v2.3.0 frames which are only supported by id3lib, so by switching to id3lib, some of the "Unknown" frames may become known frames. However, there are also frames which are only supported by TagLib (e.g. proprietary iTunes frames (Podcast, Classical) or audio book (Chapter, TOC)). Generally I could say that frames which only exist in ID3v2.3 but not in ID3v2.4 could be supported by id3lib but not by TagLib because TagLib originally only supported ID3v2.4. Newer frames are likely to be supported by TagLib, but not by id3lib because id3lib is not maintained since 2003 whereas TagLib is still actively and well maintained (therefore I recommend using TagLib). If you have ID3v2.2 tags (probably from iTunes), there may also be Unknown frames. ID3v2.2 is supported by TagLib read-only and just for frames which can be mapped to ID3v2.4 frames.

You can see the contents of Unknown frames which are text frames, other Unknown frames can be exported using Edit, Export, and you can then look at the exported binary file. I had a look at by test tags and most of the Unknown frames are TDAT, TIME, TSIZ, TRDA, RVA. You can look into the ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 specifications to find out what they mean.

• Keith Rogers

Keith Rogers - 2017-07-06

I know this is a really old thread, but I discovered a curious feature in Kid3 that causes an Unknown tag to appear/reappear.

In the Date field, I am allowed to enter a full date, e.g., 2017-07-06, but if I do that, it causes an Unknown tag to be added, and no matter how many times you remove it, it just pops back. Change the date to a simple year, and then removing the Unknown tag works.

I see this using Kid3 3.4.2 on OS X.

(I was always curious about the Date field, since while it allows a full date to be entered, file properties only ever displayed it as Year, or Year Recorded.)

• Urs Fleisch

Urs Fleisch - 2017-07-06

Short answer: If this really bothers you, enable Id3libMetadata in the plugin settings in order to use id3lib for ID3v2.3.0 tags.

Longer answer: By default, kid3 uses TagLib for ID3 tags (more on that in an answer earlier in this thread). TagLib originally only supported ID3v2.4.0, now it also supports ID3v2.3.0, but it tries to handle such tags like ID3v2.4.0 tags. ID3v2.4.0 uses TDRC for the date and can store full ISO date/time values there. ID3v2.3.0 uses TYER, TDAT, TIME for the different components of such a date/time. With TagLib, you use TDRC also for ID3v2.3.0 tags, but behind the scenes, it creates TYER, TDAT, TIME, which are then displayed as Unknown frames.

• Urs Fleisch

Urs Fleisch - 2017-07-08

I have now fixed this to no longer show TDAT, TIME, TYER, TRDA frames as Unkown frames [0ce688].

Related

Commit: [0ce688]