Kiax soundcard frequency

Help
JeroenW
2005-12-19
2013-04-25
  • JeroenW

JeroenW - 2005-12-19

I tried to use Kiax with a USB VOIP Phone, it can record and playback dounds without problems, but in Kiax no sound.
    I get the following errors;

Pa_SetupDeviceFormat: warning - requested sample rate = 8000 Hz - closest = 44100
    Pa_SetupDeviceFormat: HW does not support 8000 Hz sample rate
    PortAudio error at opening separate input stream: Host error.
    Mon Dec 19 21:50:58 2005 IaxWrapper::event_text() Message: Type=4 Message=iaxclient audio: Can't open Audio Device, we tried 5 times.  Perhaps you do not have an input or output device?

Is there anything I can do about this?

• JeroenW

JeroenW - 2005-12-21

Is this project dead??

I got sound now by installing the ALSA drivers in OSS emulation mode, it makes the error disappear, but now I get just static on the handset, the other side can hear me perfectly on a landline. Just the sound on this side is totally screwed...well it really sounds like a continuous stream of clicks.

• Emo

Emo - 2005-12-21

> Is this project dead??

Not really. I am doing some changes to the code with the hope to have a new version until the end of the year.

> I got sound now by installing the ALSA drivers in OSS emulation mode, it makes the error disappear, but now I get just static on the handset, the other side can hear me perfectly on a landline. Just the sound on this side is totally screwed...well it really sounds like a continuous stream of clicks.

Yes, kiax uses the library iaxclient and it makes use of portaudio's old version which supports only OSS on linux. It is however strange that when you have OSS you still dont get any audio. Do you have any other programs that use the ALSA/OSS at this time?

Greetings,
        Emo

• JeroenW

JeroenW - 2005-12-22

No, no other programs are using the USB telephone. lsof tells me /dev/dsp1 is not in use before starting kiax.
      The USB audio module "audio.ko" is used in the OSS case, and I guess does not support opening the devices in frequencies the hardware cannot support. I get the error as stated above.
      If I select my Soundcard (SB Live!) as in/output device, and use a headset, everything works (I guess it does resampling in hardware).
      But I bought the USB phone to get rid of the headset, wich I think is a crappy solution for telephone.

I already tried editing the sourcecode so the device gets opened in 44100 hz. And it compiles, but still doesn't do much...I guess C is not my best language... ;-)

Under ALSA/OSS emulation it will openen the device at 8000hz without complaining, but I guess the driver snd_usb_audio does no resampling, so I get static (I think the sound means that the 8000hz sound is played back at 44100hz without resampling - you can vaguely distiguish a pattern that could be a dial tone in the static - the audio clicks get faster in a pattern).

But: I also tried iaxcomm/Linux - a program that also uses PortAudio for dound, and it gives me exactly the same results...so I'm about sure its PortAudio...

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks