Menu

Kiax ver. 2 Beta 1 comments

2008-05-27
2013-04-25
  • Marcin Zajaczkowski

Hello all,

Nice to see a new version of Kiax available. I played with it (a binary version) a little and it works for me :).
    I saw that new kiax uses new iaxclient version which uses new portaudio v19 with alsa support, but I had problems with it and had to use /dev/dsp (which is probable done through oss, isn't it?). I will try to set up pure iaxclient first, to eliminate potential problem with my system (and alsa).

One of the things which is missed for me is a multiple account registration. Normally I use iax account to make outgoing call, but also have an internal server to communicate via SIP. Now I can't register to those two servers simultaneously. I think I'm not the only one person which use it. Do you plan to have that feature back in kiax v2?

One more thing. In "Account Data" dialog there wrong set tab order (try to tab over "Server" field).

Btw, would it be possible to select debug level (and preferable logging also to a file) without a need to recompile kiax source code?

Best
    Marcin

• Marcin Zajaczkowski

Could be a version in SVN build with something similar to make? I saw .pro files, but I don't know what uses them.

• Emo

Emo - 2008-05-29

Hi,

.pro files are project files for the qmake build system. Take a look at them to see which libraries you need to put in the libs directories (kiax depends on them). To create a makefile, just type qmake in the directory you want to build and then make.

qmake
        make

You need to copy put all dependencies and the produced binary in the same dir. The .sh script will set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the current dir and execute the binary.

I was thinking about giving out a tar with all binary dependencies (of opensource libraries) to help compiling, but I have to figure out how to make it friendlier.

Cheers,
        Emil

• Yitzhak Bar Geva

Just installed under Ubuntu Hady. Nice job. keep up the good work.

• Ashutosh Kumar

Ashutosh Kumar - 2008-09-11

Hi Emil,
             Will you be putting the tar with all the binary dependencies shortly (for windows) ? The reason is that i have had to grab libraries and dlls from the web, and i find myself still struggling finding libjson.a . I have compiled json-c-0.7 , but didnt find any such output as libjson.a . Can you help me out here please ?
             Kudos to you for the good masterpiece of a phone !!

Best Regards,
          ashutosh

• Emo

Emo - 2008-09-12

Hi Ashutosh,

Thanks for your comment! Yes, we are very close to the 2.0 version release (next week I hope, today we are building and testing again) and I will make sure I create a binary dependency file for windows - I know the pain of getting all libs correctly compiled.

Cheers,
            Emil

• Emo

Emo - 2008-05-29

Hi,

Thank you for the comments.
      Yes, kiax uses now iaxclient with portaudio v19 with precompiled OSS and ALSA host API-s. ALSA - unfortunately ALSA is quite problematic sometimes, depending on your hardware. It is though interesting that OSS layer works for you. Let's see what the feedback from more users will be and we'll need to work out device selection further.

Multiple accounts is something we are planning in the future releases, IMO this is one of the strong features of the old Kiax which I also miss in the new one :)

Thanks for the report on account box tab order. Will be fixed.

Regards,
      Emil

• Yitzhak Bar Geva

Any estimate when it will be available for OSX on the Mac?

• Emo

Emo - 2008-06-17

Right after release of Beta 2. I will spend extra time to prepare .dmg of kiax2 with QT4 included. I will notify you beforehand to verify it actually works on other Macs (we have here in the office 1 development OS X Leopard machine).
        Thanks.

Cheers,
        Emil

• comprookie2000

comprookie2000 - 2008-09-14

Everything seems to work fine , it registered and I can make and receive calls, also looks great. I am using Gentoo but I can not get any sound. here is part of the error;

PortAudio error at Unable to open streams: Invalid error code (value greater than zero)
      Expression 'SetApproximateSampleRate( pcm, hwParams, sr )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1291
      Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_InitialConfigure( &self->playback, outParams, self->primeBuffers, hwParamsPlayback, &realSr )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1865
      Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Configure( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inputLatency, &outputLatency, &hostBufferSizeMode )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1986
      PortAudio error at Unable to open streams: Invalid error code (value greater than zero)
      Expression 'SetApproximateSampleRate( pcm, hwParams, sr )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1291

I am using this https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=131960&package_id=144951&release_id=608159
      Also I am on amd64 k=8

Thanks for your time,
      David

• Emo

Emo - 2008-09-15

Hi David,

It looks like the underlying Portaudio v19 backend does not like your ALSA driver. This has been reported several times. Have you tried the OSS devices instead? They should appear along the ALSA devices as /dev/dsp (or /dev/dsp1, etc..).

Cheers,
        Emil

• Marcin Zajaczkowski

I had similar problem with Kiax2b2 a few months ago and for a long time I've been using OSS (/dev/dsp). But recently I made some tests and discovered that Kiax works fine on default device (hw:0,0 for both playback and recording). Maybe it's because of some updates (Sound Blaster Live and Fedora 8).
          In the past I had Audacity (also using Portaudio v19) working with hw:0,0 (playback) and hw:0,2 (recording), but Kiax didn't.
          You could try with Audacity to verify that any application works with ALSA on your system.

Regards
          Marcin

• comprookie2000

comprookie2000 - 2008-09-15

Thanks Emil, It works fine if I use /dev/dsp . I have a usb mic that works with everything else as /dev/dsp1 but it will not work. Otherwise works great, thanks for the IAX2 softphone, very nice.
          -david