Analyzing common words

Anonymous
2013-06-02
2013-06-02
  • Comment has been marked as spam. 
    Undo

You can see all pending comments posted by this user  here

Anonymous - 2013-06-02

I am attempting to analyze the occurrence of a small number of very common words, including I, we, together, and perhaps a few more. The data text I am analyzing is not a terribly large one. I have removed these words from my "stop words" file, yet it appears that the program still ignores these words. To check this, I created a code defined only by the word I, and the crosstab with headings command yielded no hits even though I can do a word search and clearly see the number of occurrences of I in the dataset. Can you explain what setting I might be able to alter in order to make use of all the features to detect and plot differences in the occurrence patterns of these common words? Thank you very much for the software and your conscientiousness about checking questions on this forum.

• HIGUCHI Koichi

HIGUCHI Koichi - 2013-06-02

Hello and thank you for your post!

You have to delete "I" from the configuration window, not from the file. And maybe you should delete both "i" and "I."

1. Go to [Project] [Settings] in the menubar.
    2. Click "config" button besides "Stop words"
    3. Delete "I" and "i" from the list. Alternatively, you can click "Clear" button and drug & drop the edited stopwords file.
    4. Click "OK" and close the stopwords cofiguration window.
    5. Click "OK" and close the Global Settings window.
    6. Open your project and run Pre-Processing again.

About the coding rule, please note that if you specify the lemma "I," KH Coder will find both "I" and "me". Because "I" and "me" are both cojugated forms of lemma/baseform "I." You can check this with "Search Words" function of KH Coder.

1. Open your project.
    2. Go to [Tools] [Words] [Search Words] in the menubar.
    3. Click "Partial Match" and select "Complete Match" instead.
    4. Input "I" and click "Search" button.

In the coding rule, you can specify the lemma "I," conjugated form "I," or conjugated form "me." Please try "Search Documents" function with following rules.

*lemma I
    I

*conjugated form I
    I=>I

*comjugated form me
    I=>me

As you see, you can specify like (lemma)=>(conjugated form). "Search Documents" function is mentioned in page 17 of the quick start tutorial.

Hope it helps.
    If you have any more qestions, please do not hesitate to post.

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks