Programs not launching

Help
2008-09-27
2013-04-17
  • JC Francois

JC Francois - 2008-09-27

Hi,

I installed Keytouch and Keytouch-editor on my new OpenSUSE 11 with KDE4 installation and was immediately impressed by the ease of use. I created a new keyboard file for my Logitech Comfort Duo using keytouch-editor. All extra function keys got detected OK and I configured them with default behavior.

However some of them fail to launch the associated programs. I found out that those that use a plugin work OK (e.g. 'E-Mail E-Mail" launched Thunderbird, the email program I set in preferences) but those that invoke a command directly don't (e.g. /usr/bin/package-manager). There is no difference whether I invoke the command as default command in keytouch-editor or select the "program:" option in keytouch.

Interestingly, after selecting in Keytouch the option Keyboard > Change... , entering  root password and selecting the configuration file everything works fine!

I don't know if it is a consequence of running something as root or just restarting the keythouch daemon but this seems to indicate that the solution to my problem is trivial but I can't find it.

Please help. Thanks,

/~jc

• Marvin Raaijmakers

"Interestingly, after selecting in Keytouch the option Keyboard > Change... , entering root password and selecting the configuration file everything works fine!"

That shouldn't make a difference if the keyboard file didn't change. Or did you change it?

If you associate a program with one of the keys that do work, will then that program launch?

- Marvin Raaijmakers

• JC Francois

JC Francois - 2008-11-14

Marvin,

In the meantime I resolved the issue. I found out that the keytouch-init service was not run at boot time.

I added it to the init.d sequence and everything is fine now.

Thanks,

/~jc

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks