Do you use KeyNote?

Ken Rushia
2007-03-12
2013-04-08
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • VietEd

VietEd - 2008-02-17

I did use Keynote for many years and could not afford to drop it. The ability for organizing note in tree structure is the main reason for me to use it. It is much better than Seonote, treepad etc. The pitty is that it could not handle table boxes pasted from webpages very well. The tree does not handle Unicode characters. I wished some programmers could fix these things and Keynote will be back again.

• KDCinfo

KDCinfo - 2008-05-01

I installed KeyNote yesterday, and I am floored with the usability of it. I have both home and office capabilities. Sure, a "few" additional features would be nice, but I love it "as is".

My problem is my fear of scalability. If this software is no longer being developed, at some point too soon we'll be forced to downgrade to M$ Vista, or take an Ubuntu or Mac alternative approach to our tech lives. So getting 'hooked on KeyNote' might not be a viable route for me to take if I don't know it'll be portable. I'm aware of the export options, but if I'm just starting now, why not start with a program that hasn't been dead for 4 years? The only viable alternative that I have seen thus far however, is for a paid version of the same program (RightNote). But if I'm going to pay $$ for this type of tool, I'd rather pay it with a donation to an open source development project.

I second the request by mermerset above:
        I hope the programmer/s who asked this question
        and started this forum would kindly let us know
        if it is now time to STOP hoping for "Keynote 2."

Thanks!

• Pat Erler

Pat Erler - 2008-05-01

give this one a try: http://bauerapps.com/RightNote.html - it's an undeclared clone on steroids, everything (really) from keynote is there plus a big bag of added features. the author is very responsive in fixing bugs and adding features,

PAT

• sracer

sracer - 2008-05-01

As a longtime user of TOMBO, I then switched to KeyNote.  Used that for a few years and then bit the bullet and tried and purchased RightNote.  RightNote is for all intents and purposes "KeyNote 2.0".

I too would prefer to support an Open Source Development alternative, but there just isn't one out there.... so I don't mind tossing BauerApps $20.  It is a high-quality application and the author is indeed responsive.

• Richard Maurel

Richard Maurel - 2008-05-01

Try this one : TotalText ; here : http://mtirnanic.googlepages.com/

Open Source, very good.

• KDCinfo

KDCinfo - 2008-05-01

I actually did look at that one, and about 5 or 6 others, but none of them provided both the hierarchical tree 'in addition to' the categorical tabs. It's that "3-D" aspect of note-taking that I was highly attracted to with KeyNote.

Each page (tab) can be devoted to a different category, and each category can have a tree of sub-topics. That to me is the most powerful part of the app. However, I can see others wishing for the Unicode support and such things as calendars and tables and such, and it would seem RightNote has filled that void. They just added a markup on top of it (which is fine if there isn't an open source alternative - I charge for "some" of my development projects too).

• Pat Erler

Pat Erler - 2008-05-02

as far as rightnote goes, the tabs and the categories are both there: http://patsplanet.com/static/sourceforge/keynote.jpg

PAT

• KDCinfo

KDCinfo - 2008-05-02

Thanks Pat. Yes, I know. That's why I mentioned earlier that, "The only viable alternative that I have seen thus far however, is for a paid version of the same program (RightNote)."

It's also why I just purchased it yesterday, sent a blurb about it to 26 friends and associates, and posted it on my personal blog <http://kdcinfo.com/blog/>. :)

• tong man wai

tong man wai - 2008-09-13

Yes. After using many other alternatives, e.g. Evernote, I am still using this Keynote.

• sanedi

sanedi - 2009-01-08

Yes,

I have used it for a long time and I've just discovered its development is continued, so I am very happy!

Edi

• Christer Blomqvist

Yes! Nice to see that someone is willing to maintain and improve the application. Thanks!

• Paul LaVigne

Paul LaVigne - 2009-03-12

I just started using KeyNote, and I think I am hooked. I am using version 1.6.5.

I am a SysAdmin, and keep a pile of little notes with all kinds of stuff; configuration information, messages I repeatedly copy and paste to users, account details, etc. In the past, I WAS using Outlook Notes but kept hitting the wall on its lack of features (like lame searching, and no RTF support).

Migrating all of the files out of Outlook notes was surprisingly REALLY hard, but once I did, I am not going back. I would love it if in the next release there were an easier way for KeyNote to snarf those up.

I also use Keynote as a To-Do list, akin to the "GTD" method.

So one instance of KeyNote with my To-Do list in one tab, and all of my notes in another Tab, oh...why didn't I switch sooner?

Keep up the good work, and good luck

Thanks for this great little tool!

-Paul

• cjf_tfp1

cjf_tfp1 - 2009-07-06

Absolutely--it's a fantastic little program, and it's portable too. I've used it for years and can't find anything that comes close to its usefulness.

• Anu Nyymi

Anu Nyymi - 2009-07-11

KeyNote is one of the few programs that prevent me from moving from Windows to Linux ;-)

• Peter Skinner

Peter Skinner - 2009-07-18

Yes I do

I love this applications. I stare all  my code snippets in it..

• Richard Maurel

Richard Maurel - 2009-08-06

After some monthes dedicating to find a good alternative, I still use keynote. It is a dam'n good tool and I have a bunch of personnal datas into.

I am a freepascal/lazarus sometimes-programmer (not delphi) If I can help a little ...

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks