Security Query.

2008-12-04
2013-04-22
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Re security.
    I have understood the security of your KeePass database file when it is on the hard disk or on a USB toggle, and that it is for all intents and purposes perfect.
    I would like to ask what the security position is when the information is displayed on the screen. If a Trojan or virus did have access to my computer and the information was on screen or minimised, would they have access to the passwords etc? while I am using the program?
    I find your program first class, but just have the worry that while I am working with the information it might be accessible.
    Would it then be considered that by placing the password on the KeePass one had violated a condition of internet banking?
    Please reply to my e-mail address as I am not quite sure how to access the Forum
    peter@stross.net

• Tobias

Tobias - 2008-12-15

Hi Peter!

Sorry, no private e-mail support.
      You can have a look at the security page from Dominik on: http://keepass.info/help/base/security.html

Generally it is always possible for an evil trojan / virus program to make a snapshot of your whole screen including everything which is displayed on it. That includes of course also passwords. So if you want ultimate security, a dedicated device with no access to the internet, which does nothing but "password storing" and is security certified is of course the tool of choice.

As soon as you have a program running in parallel with other programs on the same device, sharing the same memory (=steal the password by finding a way to access the data),
      screen (=do a snapshot whenever the program is in the foreground),
      keypad (=just copy the whole database and run a keylogger to get the masterkey).
      You have the risk of the data being stolen.
      Manipulating the program or adding a backdoor to it, so that it uses a default password known to the hacker is also an option.

So my 10cents would be:
      - Keepass is ideal for storing your Browser, E-Mail, Forum passwords
      - Storing all your online banking passwords + TANs is most likely considered a "severe"
        security violation if things go completely wrong.

So it is up to your own judgement how much you trust KeePass(PPC/SD) and your PC and how sensitive the data you wanna store in it should be.

Bests,
      Tobias

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks