Menu

Install KeepassJ2ME without admin rights

bigl00z3
2007-10-03
2013-05-13
  • bigl00z3

bigl00z3 - 2007-10-03

First thank you so much for the soft. I find it really usefull and I love the fact that keepass is cross platform. I use it on my mac, windows and now my Nokia E61 (Symbian).

To install KeppassJ2ME I ran in a few dificulties as I don't have admin right on my Windows computer (work) So I could not install JDK 1.6.0.

The news ( http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4409389 )that I could just zip it with 7-zip saved my life put again as I'm not admin on my PC I couldn't install 7-zip so I deceided to try it with 7-zip portable and Command Prompt Portable (both available on http://portableapps.com/ ) which were on my usb stick.

So for those who want to do it that way here are donald70's instructions modified for Portable apps:

1. Place the KeePassJ2ME-1_0_7 folder in the root of your usb key
    2. In that folder place Database.kdb as the file you want to use; 
    3. Open Command Prompt portable and change to the KeePass directory with a similar command line:
    cd KeepassJ2ME-1_0_7
    5. use 7-zip to rebuild the jar, with the following command line:
    "I:\PortableApps\7-ZipPortable\App\7-zip\7z" a -tzip -r -mx=9 KeePassJ2ME-KDB.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF Database.kdb KeePassJ2ME.png org images/*.png

Where I: is the your usb drive letter followed by the path to the 7z.

6. Upload the generated file KeePassJ2ME-KDB.jar to your phone and that's it.

I hope this can be usefull for some of you.
    This can probably done with other zip software, but as I'm not always that good with the command line, I prefered to use donald70's instructions.

bigl00z3

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-10-03

Great job, big!  Feel free to add the instructions to the Wiki http://keepassj2me.wiki.sourceforge.net/

This applies to donald70 and everybody else who contributes useful information.  Please go ahead.

Thanks,

• bigl00z3

bigl00z3 - 2007-10-04

Naomaru Itoi,

I cannot add anythings to the wiki, it's telling me I need to be a member.

bigl00z3

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-10-04

Dear Big,

Sorry, I didn't know I needed to modify the setting.  Please try it again.

Thanks,

Nao

• bigl00z3

bigl00z3 - 2007-10-05

done...

bigl00z3

• Maurizio

Maurizio - 2007-10-05

Ok, but what if I wasn't able to compile the application the first time?
      Can someone give me the application compiled, so I can use this method to substitute my .kdb file inside it, as described here?

• bigl00z3

bigl00z3 - 2007-10-05

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to compile it.
      I just downloaded the KeePassJ2ME-1_0_7.zip unziped it and added my .kdb to this folder. I then generated the KeePassJ2ME-KDB.jar as described above and it worked fine.

I hope this will help

bigl00z3

• bigl00z3

bigl00z3 - 2007-10-06

well now we have a way to generate the KeePassJ2ME-KDB.jar on Windows. Does anyone know how to convert this command line for linux (which would also work on Mac os X) I'm unfortunately not good enough to do it.
      That way it would be possible to create it on any platform.
      bigl00z3