Tell me what you think about KeePass for J2ME

2007-07-02
2013-05-13
  • Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-02

Hi,

I'm the author of KeePass for J2ME.  Thanks for your interest.  In an attempt to improve the software, I would like to know your answers to these questions.

- Is it easy to download and use?  KeePass for J2ME requires you to create your own .jar file with the key database file included.  Is this too hard or troublesome?

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized between KeePass desktop and KeePass for J2ME through a file system over USB or Bluetooth?  To use this, your phone must support JSR-75 (filesystem).  Does your phone support it?

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over Bluetooth application?  To use this, you phone must support JSR-82 (Bluetooth).  Does your phone support it?

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over network, i.e., via Internet or via text messaging? 

- Is it desirable if key database can be backed up on a secure web server?

- Currently, KeePass for J2ME is read-only.  Is it desirable if it can also create and edit password entries?

I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!

• fuenfnull

fuenfnull - 2007-07-07

Hello Naomaru Itoi,

First i have to say thank yo very much for developing this j2me-version of Keepass.

I think synchronizing the kdb-file is a must, jsr-75 and jsr-85 should be available with the most (newer) mobiles. Generating the jar-file containing the kdb seem to be a little bit complicated.
      Creating and editing password entries could be usefull.

Finally, i found out, that currently not all entries from the kdb are supported. So my next wish for your further development is the support of the notes-entry.

Good luck and another thanks for developing keepass-j2me.

Christoph

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-08

Thank you, Christoph, for your kind words and your feedback.

I think what you asked are quite important requirements.  I added them in Wiki TODO page,

http://keepassj2me.wiki.sourceforge.net/TODO

I plan to address them in the near future. 

Thanks,

• pamaro

pamaro - 2007-07-08

Hi,

It's a great application, thank you.

But is missing a exit Key.

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-08

Hi, Christoph, pamaro,

I've added support for URL and notes, and Exit key.  Please test and let me knof if there's anything still not working.

Thanks,

• Ali3n

Ali3n - 2007-07-09

Hi,

at first THANK YOU!!! for developing KeePass for J2ME. I've waited for this so long.

For me, it would be necessary to open a KDB directly with the J2ME applicattion. Creating an own JAR-file is a little bit "annoying", because I need the JDK only for that and I want to hold my system as clean as possible (e.g. I only work with User rights (WinXP)).

IMO synchronizing (all mentioned options) are nice to have. My master KDB is always on my PC an I maintain the data on the PC. Typing, generating of complex password on a Smartphone (e.g. P990i - my smartphone) is not really very fast.

But I have one problem generating the JAR file. I installed the JDK 1.5.0.12. Restarted my system and executed the KeePassInstaller.bat (from 1.0.3).
      I get the following error message:
      C:\Documents and Settings\......KeePassInstaller.bat
      C:\Documents and Settings\......java -cp KeePassInstaller.jar org.phoneid.keepassinstaller.KeePassInstaller
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version n
      umber in .class file
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
              at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
              at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
              at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
              at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
              at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
              at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
              at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

THX in advance
      ali3n

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-09

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.  KDB synchronization is asked for by pretty much every user, so this is at the top of my TODO list.  The problem is that my phone (Nokia 6620) doesn't support JSR 75, but I'll try something. 

In the mean time, please try KeePassInstaller.bat with JDK 1.6.0 rather than 1.5.0. 

Thanks,

• Ali3n

Ali3n - 2007-07-10

Hi naomaru,

Thank you very, very much for this great and useful app. Wow.
          Using JDK 1.6b2 works fine.
          After I've tested it here some notes:
          - After starting KeePass for J2ME on my P990i the password field appears. But it is not named like that and I was a little bit irritated what to do. Using the wrong password causes an phoneid.Exeption. I don't know if this is intended. The password is shwon in plain text not like a password field.
          - Now, after successful trying, I would also appreciate, that it would be very useful to synch the KDB file. Generating, uninstalling and reinstalling is not very ergonimic. ;-))

Nethertheless: GREAT!!!

Thanks
          Ali3n

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-10

Hi,

I'm glad it worked for you.

> - After starting KeePass for J2ME on my P990i the password field appears. But it is not named like that and I was a little bit irritated what to do. Using the wrong password causes an phoneid.Exeption. I don't know if this is intended. The password is shwon in plain text not like a password field.

Good points.  I've added some TODOs to fix these on the Wiki page.

About the password being shown in clear text - this was done intentionally.  Most of J2ME users need to type in passwords with phone keyboard (12 keys).  It's impossible to type a password if you can't see the string. 

But it would be a good idea to give an option to hide the password, for those who have full keyboards. 

> - Now, after successful trying, I would also appreciate, that it would be very useful to synch the KDB file. Generating, uninstalling and reinstalling is not very ergonimic. ;-))

Yes.  Synching is the biggest fish right now, and I'm working on it.  Please see this for the discussion about it.
            http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1774664&forum_id=709879

Thanks,

• donald70

donald70 - 2007-07-11

I spent hours looking for password manager for my phone and re-type my most used password I keep in keepass... and then i found... this gem!!! Thanks!!!

My suggestions:

- about password field in clear text: it works well for me since I have a complex password to type on my ordinary phone keyboard. Anyway I found that others j2me apps use a password field that shows the letter while are you typing it... and then becomes a star ('*') after a fraction of a second: it's usable even with my password and my phone... but maybe it's just the way my SE K600i handles a standard masked password field, I don't know if others phones behaves the same way

- about the need to have SDK installed to build the jar: this guys (http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/ReadManiac/index.htm) delivers an excellent application with a powerful wizard to build a midlet with a book built-in. Maybe you can take a look and get some ideas... you can download source code (I don't know if includes the wizard part)

- abount synching / opening external KDB files: some phone bothers you with many unavoidable security questions when they read or write the phone file system. It's very annoying and so I think you should always offer the option to build a jar including the kdb, like it works now.

Thanks again!

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-11

Dear donald70,

Thank you for your kind words and your feedback.

> - about password field in clear text: it works well for me since I have a complex password to type on my ordinary phone keyboard. Anyway I found that others j2me apps use a password field that shows the letter while are you typing it... and then becomes a star ('*') after a fraction of a second: it's usable even with my password and my phone... but maybe it's just the way my SE K600i handles a standard masked password field, I don't know if others phones behaves the same way

Good point.  I'll check what my phone does. 

> - about the need to have SDK installed to build the jar: this guys (http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/ReadManiac/index.htm) delivers an excellent application with a powerful wizard to build a midlet with a book built-in. Maybe you can take a look and get some ideas... you can download source code (I don't know if includes the wizard part)

Their library seems to be able to generate a .jar file without having JDK ... Quite impressive.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find the wazard source code. 

> - abount synching / opening external KDB files: some phone bothers you with many unavoidable security questions when they read or write the phone file system. It's very annoying and so I think you should always offer the option to build a jar including the kdb, like it works now.

Another good point.  I'll leave this option even after KDB sync is implemented.

Thanks,

Nao @ phoneid.org

• donald70

donald70 - 2007-07-12

It seems that .jar files are just renamed .zip files. An experiment using 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/):

1. made a KeePassJ2ME-KDB.jar using the provided setup procedure (after installing JDK)
          2. unzipped KeePassJ2ME-KDB.jar
          3. replaced Database.kdb with another one;
          4. added KeePassJ2ME.png (you declared it in MANIFEST.MF but forgot to provide it: I just put there a renamed plockb.png, so I also have an icon on my phone)
          5. used 7-zip to rebuild the jar, with the following command line:
          "c:\program files\7-zip\7z" a -tzip -r -mx=9 KeePassJ2ME-KDB.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF Database.kdb KeePassJ2ME.png org images/*.png

... and it works!

Franco

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-12

Thanks, Franco, for your help.  

This sounds great.  We should be able to get rid of JDK requirement by using your method. 

I will look into it once I am done with web sync.

Thanks,

• X-Byte

X-Byte - 2007-07-11

Thank you very much for finally creating a solution to have my passwords with me on my mobile.
      Direct usage of the KDB database would be very welcome, as requested before. Because I also included some file attachments containing sensible documents in my KDB file, the database is >1MB in size, hence rendering the JAR application file too big to be started on my mobile device.
      For now I remove those attachments before creating the JAR, but a separate KDB file would be much better.

Other suggestions:

- Left/Right keys for navigation
      Please utilize the left/right keys of the mobile device for descending/ascending the database tree. This will make navigation much easier in lengthy lists, no more need to scroll to the ".. go up one" entry.

- Split view mode (optional)
      Split the screen horizontally, with the db navigation in the upper part and displaying the currently highlighted entry in the lower part. The split view mode should be switchable via the left menu key of the mobile (maybe inside an options menu?), which is currently unassigned.

- Mark entries with file attachments
      Display a paperclip icon aligned to the right in the navigation list when an entry has a file attached to it.

- Extract file attachment
      Offer an option to extract an attached file of an entry. Saveable to a selectable position in the mobile memory. Very usable for .txt and .jpg attachments, which are even viewable on a mobile phone.

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-11

Hi, X-Byte,

Thank you for great suggestions.  I've added them in the TODO list, and will get to them eventually.

I especially like your "Left key for go-up-one-folder" idea. 

• giz

giz - 2007-07-27

>>- Is it easy to download and use? KeePass for J2ME requires you to create your own .jar file with the key database file included. Is this too hard or troublesome?

Well easy to download YES. Create the Jar file, was ok but i knew Java... . I think it's too hard for somebody that doesn't know java. Perhaps you should provide a ready-to-use jar and just tell the users to add any .kdb by opening the .jar with any Packer software by renaming the .jar to .jar.zip. That's also how i update my .kdb if new content was type in the PC-version of KeePass.

>>- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized between KeePass desktop and KeePass for J2ME through a file system over USB or Bluetooth?

YES would be very useful !

>>To use this, your phone must support JSR-75 (filesystem). Does your phone support it?
      >>- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over Bluetooth application? To use this, you phone must support JSR-82 (Bluetooth). Does your phone support it?

YES my Sony Ericsson M600i should support this according to the white paper (so should the nearly identical P990i and W950i).  

M600i supports two kinds of JavaTM ME CLDC 1.1 and CDC 1.0:
      CLDC 1.1 JARs supported:
      •JTWI 1.0 (JSR-185) consisting of CLDC (Connected
      Limited Device Configuration) 1.1 HI (JSR-139), MIDP 2.0 (JSR-118), WMA 1.1 (JSR-120).
      •PDA PIM and File Access (JSR-75).
      •Bluetooth™ wireless technology (JSR-82).
      •Wireless Messaging API 2.0 (JSR-205).
      •Web Service (JSR-172).
      •Mobile Media API (JSR-135).
      •Mobile 3D Graphics (JSR-184).
      •Nokia UI API 1.1.
      CDC 1.0 JARs supported:
      •Foundation profile 1.0 (JSR-46).
      •Personal profile 1.0 (JSR-62).
      •PDA File Access (JSR-75).

other SE phone specs: http://tinyurl.com/2qw7dm

>>- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over network, i.e., via Internet or via text messaging? 

I would NOT use these options.

>>- Is it desirable if key database can be backed up on a secure web server?

No

>>- Currently, KeePass for J2ME is read-only. Is it desirable if it can also create and edit password entries?

Would not be a priority feature, but since i have a QWERTY-Keyboard on my mobile i would use this option. But to use it correctly i should be able o transfer this modified kdb back to the PC (so JSR-75/82 support is mandatory for this)

• rene

rene - 2007-07-29

First I have to say that I like this very helpful program.

General feedback:

- in my opinion read-only on the phone is enough - I'll keep the master on a PC

- I use several databases (company, private) - as a workaround I've build the application with different MANIFEST files and installed it multiple times on my phone - if possible I would prefer a "file - open" dialog on the phone to open different databases

- I would prefer to have the detail information left aligned (in stead of centered)

- a nice gadget would be, if we had a possibility to add some fonctionality like "open url"

Feedback specific to a Nokia E61:

- the newly added EXIT button does not work as within the most other programs: the E61 has 2 "right buttons", an upper and a lower. Usally the upper one has a function like "back" or "cancel" - the lower one is usally "exit". Now with KeePassJ2ME both of them are "exit" (as I'm used to use the upper buttom for "back", I quit the program to often accidentaly).

- drill down navigation with the joystick would be great - go up one folder with left movement - go down one folder with right movement ;-)

thanks
      rene

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-31

Thanks, Rene,

I added your ideas to TODO list.  I especially like this idea. 

> - drill down navigation with the joystick would be great - go up one folder with left movement - go down one folder with right movement ;-)

• Naomaru Itoi

Naomaru Itoi - 2007-07-31

Thanks, Rene,

I added your ideas to TODO list.  I especially like this idea. 

> - drill down navigation with the joystick would be great - go up one folder with left movement - go down one folder with right movement ;-)

• Munchos

Munchos - 2007-08-01

I tried the program on my nokia 6275i and worked like a charm , you have made a nice program. Here's my response to your questions :

> Is it easy to download and use? KeePass for J2ME requires you to create your own .jar file with the key database   > file included. Is this too hard or troublesome?

I haven't found the process troublesome but i'm an IT technician , i think that the "average" user will find it a bit troublesome.

> - Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized between KeePass desktop and KeePass for J2ME through a file > system over USB or Bluetooth? To use this, your phone must support JSR-75 (filesystem). Does your phone >support     it?

yes my phone support JSR-75 , and i would love to be able to sync. it via usb , if the application file was separated from the kdb file it would be very easy to do it manually

> - Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over Bluetooth application? To use this, you phone must >support JSR-82 (Bluetooth). Does your phone support it?

It would be nice to have bluetooth syncronisation but for me it's not a big deal as long as i'm able to at least manually sync the file with usb cable.

> - Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over network, i.e., via Internet or via text messaging? 

It would be a nice add-on but sine i don't have any data plan i would probably not use that feature, usb port sync is free :)

> - Is it desirable if key database can be backed up on a secure web server?

I would not use that feature (no data plan)

> - Currently, KeePass for J2ME is read-only. Is it desirable if it can also create and edit password entries?

It's the feature i miss the most , i think it's very important to be able to enter passwords on the go, without a computer nearby. Since i use this app to save almost anything (from credit card number to ATM pin) it would be very useful.

Keep up your good work and i hope my responses will help you. keep in mind that i don't expect to see all the features in the next version ;) Hope this help

Thanks
      Excuse my crappy english :(

• Björn Torkelsson

I would really like to see a way to edit and add entries on the Phone, with a way to sync the back to the computer. I would also be great if I could send an send individual entry to other phones (running KeePass). This makes it a lot easier to use it in a coperate environment where you would like to share some entries with your workmates.

• Björn Torkelsson

Oh, with syncing I mean direct syncing, either by comparing and merging two kdb files, or by connecting the phone to the computer with a cable or bluetooth. Having to sync using a (pulbic) webserver is not an option in my case.

/torkel

• CarlosCastaneda

CarlosCastaneda - 2007-10-17

Hi Naomaru,

first of all thanks for your efforts to port KeePass to J2ME. I like KeePass and I'm using it on different machines and devices (PDA and since some days on mobile [SE 310i] too). Now I'm happy that I've at least a read only copy on me.

Because of my environment I prefer to have a master copy and either share this with over devices (PDA) directly or copy the file between different machines.

I'd prefer to install KeePass apart from the database, so that the database file may be transfered between different devices (USB, Bluetooth, Infrared).

Thanks
      Karl

• Emil Bäckmark

Emil Bäckmark - 2007-12-03

Hi,

I just started to use this application on my SE P1i. Downloaded it directly to the phone from the web. No problems at all. Great!

- Is it easy to download and use? KeePass for J2ME requires you to create your own .jar file with the key database file included. Is this too hard or troublesome?
      Downloaded the .jad file. Easy!

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized between KeePass desktop and KeePass for J2ME through a file system over USB or Bluetooth? To use this, your phone must support JSR-75 (filesystem). Does your phone support it?
      Yes. This is a must for me. Copying the kdb file manually back an forth between the PC and phone is not a convenient way.

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over Bluetooth application? To use this, you phone must support JSR-82 (Bluetooth). Does your phone support it?
      Nice, but not required.

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over network, i.e., via Internet or via text messaging? 
      I would not use it. Security, speed and data plan cost are the main reasons for that.

No.

- Currently, KeePass for J2ME is read-only. Is it desirable if it can also create and edit password entries?
      Yes. This is also a must for me. I would like to be able to update on both the PC and in the phone, and synch the changes between them.

Other stuff:
      - My phone complains over the MIDlet not being secure. What's the problem there?
      - I miss the possibility to see what version I'm running.
      - If I type the password wrong, I get an exception instead of a proper error message.

Anyway - great piece of software so far! I look forward for USB synch and readwrite functionality!

Regards,
      Emil

• Bengt Månsson

Bengt Månsson - 2007-12-04

I have looked for this a long time and was just about to do it myself, then I found this. Cool. You have certainly created something useful. Thanks.

Your questions:

- Is it easy to download and use? KeePass for J2ME requires you to create your own .jar file with the key database file included. Is this too hard or troublesome?

I used CVS and built it from within Eclipse (EclipseME). Worked fine first build. (and I reduced the jar file size with 20%)
      You could make this a little easier by splitting the projects into separate source trees. Now I had to filter manually.
      (and it's so not cool to change/rename imported libraries. that is the way to "regression test hell")

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized between KeePass desktop and KeePass for J2ME through a file system over USB or Bluetooth? To use this, your phone must support JSR-75 (filesystem). Does your phone support it?

I use a SE P1i and it is very easy to copy the db file to the phone. The midlet managed to open the file and it works fine (after several exceptions and security warnings but anyway). Would be really nice to have a plugin to SE sync manager that would sync automatically every time the pc master is changed. (Don't know if sync manager supports that. Sometimes I really miss my old Palm.)

- Is it desirable if key database can be synchronized over Bluetooth application? To use this, you phone must support JSR-82 (Bluetooth). Does your phone support it?

Supported but I would not use it. It is easier to copy the file via USB and I normally only turn BT on only when I need it.

No. The ideas is scaring. Sounds like phishing.

No. The ideas is scaring. Sounds like phishing.

- Currently, KeePass for J2ME is read-only. Is it desirable if it can also create and edit password entries?

No. If you would add that you would need to add a really sophisticated sync scheme. I already have two "master db"; one on the pc and one on a usb stick. To have a third would give problems.
      But: It would be cool if you changed the fields to (non-editable) text fields so that I could copy/paste passwords into the browser.

Another thing: The pc version will reset the master password when the app is minimised. I think that is essential. Your applet should do the same when it is not visible. I do not want all my password available in plain text if I loose my phone.

Again: Thanks
      /Bengt

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks